Bands: why I may be done with them

• Thread starter DerekLicon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have never bothered to even try to join up with a band for....all the reasons stated so far, pretty much.

However it's also given me less motivation to practice, making me probably not good enough to join any band that I'd not be embarrassed to be a part of.

dro

Reaction score
Played in a band in the beginning in the 70's. I loved the learning experience. Learning various styles of music. Learning to sing harmony parts.

Playing with older musicians, put me in a different circle of people. I was not even 18 when I started. All the other guys were in their late 20's.

Rehearsed religiously, Mon, Wed, 7-10 PM, Sunday 1-6PM. Gigged Fri & Sat. Every week. In 1983, went from 9pc with horns and percussion + background singers. To 4 pc, 4 vox. Eventually added two more. Sax/flute/vox, and keys/vox. Stayed in that configuration for another 15 years.

The main nucleus of the band. The 4pc, were all on the same page for a long long time. I count 28 years. We could fart on time and in harmony.

The 90's proved a bit tougher. Loosing members, replacing with paople not as talented, or focused. Kept in it for the music. But without the friendship / brotherhood. It's allot harder to stay into it.

Built back up to 7pc in 2000. That only lasted for a few years. But played some of the best music I'd ever been involved with.

As studio became digital, and more important to myself and Joe the drummer. Others were afraid of the little red recording light. If they knew it was on, they would freeze up. I finally started hitting record, as soon as everyone was in the studio. Then treating the night like any other rehearsal. Waisted allot of hard drives. But came up with some good, footage? Data. Call it what you want.

Drummer and I would go through the trax on off nights. And find things to build on.

Last few years. Was just he and I, building a catalogue.

Starting a new studio gig next week as hired gun studio guitarist.

Crossing my fingers. But will get to get out my gear again.

Been playing mostly acoustic, and piano lately.

Wish me patients.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Played in a band in the beginning in the 70's. I loved the learning experience. Learning various styles of music. Learning to sing harmony parts.

Playing with older musicians, put me in a different circle of people. I was not even 18 when I started. All the other guys were in their late 20's.

Rehearsed religiously, Mon, Wed, 7-10 PM, Sunday 1-6PM. Gigged Fri & Sat. Every week. In 1983, went from 9pc with horns and percussion + background singers. To 4 pc, 4 vox. Eventually added two more. Sax/flute/vox, and keys/vox. Stayed in that configuration for another 15 years.

The main nucleus of the band. The 4pc, were all on the same page for a long long time. I count 28 years. We could fart on time and in harmony.

The 90's proved a bit tougher. Loosing members, replacing with paople not as talented, or focused. Kept in it for the music. But without the friendship / brotherhood. It's allot harder to stay into it.

Built back up to 7pc in 2000. That only lasted for a few years. But played some of the best music I'd ever been involved with.

As studio became digital, and more important to myself and Joe the drummer. Others were afraid of the little red recording light. If they knew it was on, they would freeze up. I finally started hitting record, as soon as everyone was in the studio. Then treating the night like any other rehearsal. Waisted allot of hard drives. But came up with some good, footage? Data. Call it what you want.

Drummer and I would go through the trax on off nights. And find things to build on.

Last few years. Was just he and I, building a catalogue.

Starting a new studio gig next week as hired gun studio guitarist.

Crossing my fingers. But will get to get out my gear again.

Been playing mostly acoustic, and piano lately.

Wish me patients.
Awesome story/history and yes, patients be with you!!!

Deftone

Reaction score
Left my last band in the late '80's. Lead singer wanted to go "Top 40" so we could get more gigs. I wanted to play thrash metal and have fun.

A relationship between two people is difficult and takes work, patience, etc.... but three or more can be daunting.

That said, playing with friends can be a lot of fun.

WillyW

Reaction score
As a singer I got tired of being dependent on others to make music so I started playing guitar 24 years ago.

Then projects were often held up for lack of a bass player. so I started that 5 years ago.

I haven't spent enough time with drums but I got my 9 year old for that....

aikiguy

Reaction score
I actually went completely the other way…. I left my (very good) job last year at 53 years old so I can concentrate on making music and doing things in music. It scared me a bit at the time to do it, but I’m glad that I did, and it’s even seeming to bring me new opportunities.

I left work, went back to school and took Marketing. I finished that in June and am now going through the pains of learning to market my original music and finding my audience.

Besides that, I play at least every weekend in several bands, and I have my studio downstairs where I will hope to pick up some work recording and mixing bands.

As far as being in a band goes, I think that you have to identify your expectations right from the beginning, and you need to have like-minded people participating. Also, I think it’s important to find a way to get the best out of the people you’re playing with. Like any relationship, it takes work from both sides. I like to make sure that if we really nailed something, I always like to reinforce it… nice job on the solo…. Awesome vocals… stuff like that. I think it goes a long way.

I get it that it can be a hassle and really hard work sometimes, but I certainly wouldn’t trade it for going back to work…lol. I love being in a band….

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I think that you have to identify your expectations right from the beginning, and you need to have like-minded people participating
Exactly. I posted way back about my one failed originals band. Expectations from singer songwriter were not clear at all. Also, flaky passive aggressive people do not make good bandmates.
I really love my other band and projects.
Cheers.

Latest posts