Bare Knuckle pickups?

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
The freaky naming attitude is funny but somewhat accurate..
They always refer to some song or something ..
In this case is Mother ‘s milk album by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Damn, I never got that reference. I thought it was a play on "creamy" tone or something like that.

"Mother’s Milk is a bright and punchy mid '60s voiced Strat coil set; solid bass response, a dynamic, woody character and with a fantastic snap in the high-end."

Seems a bit out of place for RHCP, but hey, what do I know. You live and learn. :)

knulp

Reaction score
Damn, I never got that reference. I thought it was a play on "creamy" tone or something like that.

"Mother’s Milk is a bright and punchy mid '60s voiced Strat coil set; solid bass response, a dynamic, woody character and with a fantastic snap in the high-end."

Seems a bit out of place for RHCP, but hey, what do I know. You live and learn. :)
I read that on the bk forum from the founder of bk pups even..

Seems like the red hot guitarist has a warm sounding 60’s strat..

Not that I would have said that by listening to them..but maybe simply because I really don’t listen to them..!

Resident 217

Reaction score
Interesting Names I like them and find them very creative. Some are obvious Irish Tour-Gallagher, Sinner Trilogy Suite? YJM? Sultans? ha ha okay...
Yeah! Like the Rebel Yell is Steve Stephens and the Blackdog LedZep.... Stormy Monday - Duane Allman perhaps. VH I<II obvious, PG Blues- Peter Green. Emeralds a reference to Ireland Gary Moore? Abraxas- Santana no doubt, Holy Diver who else but Vivian Campbell,
Theres a bunch of others I havent taken time to try and figure out and a few contempoarie well known players of whom I never heard of until I looked them up.
The owner who is a well know UK musician borrowed some pickups from freinds apparently. I believe I read years ago somewhere that each were specifiacally analyzed electronically -including the resonance, windings turns, wire type and the even henries or whatever.

Folks is lucky today to have access quality gear that aint messed up.
Today's young players are fortunate to have access to quality gear at various price points.

Its all good.

Resident 217

Reaction score
As discussed earlier in this thread, the Black Dog is nothing like Page's pickups
Well I had one iit sounded exactly like a Gibson. How many pickups did Page use over the years?
So there ya go. Everyones ears and opinions are different and at different times.
but thanks for pointing that out.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
How many pickups did Page use over the years?
With Zep--underwound PAF then underwound TTop. Both biting, trebly pickups. I had a potted and then an unpotted Black Dog set from BKP and they both were pretty dark.

Resident 217

Reaction score
With Zep--underwound PAF then underwound TTop. Both biting, trebly pickups. I had a potted and then an unpotted Black Dog set from BKP and they both were pretty dark.
Ah yeah? Potted or? Im sure that guy most likely had a bunch of guitars and weird wiring and coil splitting schemes. Who knows how he was recording or what tech he was using in way of pedals and stuff. There was a lot of experimenting going on at the time of those first albums. it and whart pedals.
All Im trying to say is it is still a Gibson humbucker no matter how subtle the EQ it is still basically the same.
Plus a lot has to do with how close they are to strings.
When I had one it was when they first came out a long time ago. I thought it was pretty great.
Even with a Fender Deluxe it sounded like Rock and Roll to me - the song.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what other sets sound like, in particular the bridge pickups, but I'm not about to spend the coin to find out. Like I said, the Black Dogs I bought are great sounding pickups, they just don't sound like $400 pickups to me. ...and they aren't as good, to me, as the Gibson pickups that came in my guitars.

I would have never even looked "outside the box" if Gibson sold made to order pick ups in various color combos and with or without quick connects. I already bitched about this before I ever looked at the BKs. https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/why-doesnt-gibson-do-made-to-order-pickups.136915/ All I want is some reverse zebra 490s like what came in my Tribute, but they aren't even a thing. The 490s they put in the tributes are different than regular 490s and the only made them double black under covers specifically for the Tributes. They're the best pickups I've ever had and I want them in everything.

Since all this happened and I ended up liking the stock 61s in my Standard when I put them back in I have seen that there are 61 zebra/reverse zebra sets available out there. I will be getting some for my Standard since it turns out I really like them, but I would put 490s in it if I could get them in reverse zebra. And I would have never looked elsewhere.

Last edited:

dslman

Reaction score
My friend had me install a BK either a Siloh or Black Dog can’t remember for sure. It reminded me of a Dimarzio Tone Zone except a bit more refined , and a better bottom.

JPummil

Reaction score
Installing a set of HSP90 Nantuckets in an SG Standard now...let ya know soon ;-)

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend had me install a BK either a Siloh or Black Dog can’t remember for sure. It reminded me of a Dimarzio Tone Zone except a bit more refined , and a better bottom.
Hahaha! Maybe that's why I didn't love 'em, I've never had a Dimarzio pickup I liked. I gave my black dogs another try and they still don't do it for me. They sound good at first, but after a few days I start to find fault.

dslman

Reaction score
Hahaha! Maybe that's why I didn't love 'em, I've never had a Dimarzio pickup I liked. I gave my black dogs another try and they still don't do it for me. They sound good at first, but after a few days I start to find fault.
Same here on the Dimarzios, the PAF Pro was prolly my fave, but nothing special.

Latest posts