Beer

• Thread starter paul-e-mann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jack daniels

Reaction score
i don't know why it is but, it seems as though many beer makers use less 'bittering' hops with their Hefeweizen line of beers.

fat_lenny

Reaction score
i don't know why it is but, it seems as though many beer makers use less 'bittering' hops with their Hefeweizen line of beers.

Thats because the main feature of Hefeweizen or wheat beers is the fruity esters from the yeast and fermentation temps. His don't really feature too heavily in a traditional wheat beer.

A wheat beer would normally come at around 15IBU (bitterness) which is well under a standard Ale.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Thats because the main feature of Hefeweizen or wheat beers is the fruity esters from the yeast and fermentation temps. His don't really feature too heavily in a traditional wheat beer.

A wheat beer would normally come at around 15IBU (bitterness) which is well under a standard Ale.

That's really good to know F_L. It's really too bad that a majority of beers are over-compensated for when it comes to hops. There needs to be a new movement similar to what Jim Koch of Samuel Adams started with his fervent espousal of hops in Samuel Adams beers. Only the proposed movement would be towards more quality and diverse types of grains used for making beers such as malts, barleys, etc.

I really had to laugh at one particular Samuel Adams advertisement for their 'Boston Lager' as not being too hoppy. What a whopper of a tale that one (is/was).

fat_lenny

Reaction score
That's really good to know F_L. It's really too bad that a majority of beers are over-compensated for when it comes to hops. There needs to be a new movement similar to what Jim Koch of Samuel Adams started with his fervent espousal of hops in Samuel Adams beers. Only the proposed movement would be towards more quality and diverse types of grains used for making beers such as malts, barleys, etc.

I really had to laugh at one particular Samuel Adams advertisement for their 'Boston Lager' as not being too hoppy. What a whopper of a tale that one (is/was).

The interesting thing with the esters in a hefeweizen is that they are yeast driven and relate to the temperatures in the ferment. A lot of people get them in home brew in all kinds of beers due to too much temp for the yeast strain. Unfortunately in most beers you don't want the ester flavours and its considered a bad thing.

My temp control failed on my current batch and my hoppy IPA is chock full of the flavours you would expect in a wheat beer. Unfortunately in an IPA its not a particularly nice taste. I'm hoping is settles in time as the yeast can to an extent consume those flavours, but I will have to wait and see.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Yeah theres nothing bitter about them, I picked up a six pack of Yuengling Weizen to further sample tonight :yesway:

jack daniels

Reaction score
The interesting thing with the esters in a hefeweizen is that they are yeast driven and relate to the temperatures in the ferment. A lot of people get them in home brew in all kinds of beers due to too much temp for the yeast strain. Unfortunately in most beers you don't want the ester flavours and its considered a bad thing.

My temp control failed on my current batch and my hoppy IPA is chock full of the flavours you would expect in a wheat beer. Unfortunately in an IPA its not a particularly nice taste. I'm hoping is settles in time as the yeast can to an extent consume those flavours, but I will have to wait and see.

I made my own home brew for awhile but never at the level that you are most familiar with. Would love to have the money, facilities, and supplies so that I could do it up right. The best home brew I ever made was a wheat beer using very pure well water from a friend's aquifer and I flavored it with raspberry flavoring w/no sugar(s). It was at least 6 mo. old before it was consumed and it was excellent. We're talking a basic kit of one can syrup and one can hopped syrup w/yeast packet.

I learned about IPA's early on before I even knew what a IPA was. Not being a 'hopsy' kind of guy the IPA wasn't as enjoyable for me. I will sometimes do black and tans in order to tone down the 'hoppyness' of a particular beer. I did a porter beer kit that I enjoyed as a darker beer but, most likely I used it for black & tans after aging the batch somewhat (6 mo.)

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
Look what i'm drinking. :cheers:

ouaa9w.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I always find myself looking for something in the store I haven't tried yet, like a kid in a candy store or rather more like an illness LOL!

I tried a couple new local beers this weekend, one of them was really good :yesway:

Latest posts