• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Best Boost Pedal??

• Thread starter Brian14
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lordquilton

Reaction score
Every clean boost I tried colored the signal, which is fine if you like that coloring.
If you want just the sound you have but "more", a good eq pedal might be worth considering.

I dig the Empress Para-Eq in front of the amp.
High quality components keep the signal faithful and quiet, and you can run it at higher voltages for better headroom.

Pushing the front end changes the frequency response from the preamp tubes, so you can use the parametric eq to compensate for that, or give it more bottom, more cut or whatever.

You can also use it in the loop of course, resulting in a more neutral volume boost, but with the same sculpting capabilities (great for compensating for the room if you play live).

The eq is very powerful, so you have to make a lot of small changes and listen carefully until you get a feel for it.

Metroman

Reaction score
Roger Mayer 4644 Drive retails here in Canada for $ 415 cnd funds ....
I'm in no way knocking this pedal , I'm sure its great , but for that price IT BETTER SOUND AMAZING ... imo

I don't know what the duty tax there is, but the 4644 Drive is available for $290 USD at Guitar Village. Shipping incl.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
I have used a modded EH LPB-1 (caps values changed to preserve original tone more) a Boss GE-7 a Blackstar LT-Boost and a tube Blackstar HT-Boost.
The HT Boost wipes the floor with the rest by a wide margin.
It's EQ is active and it preserves dynamics way better than any other booster I've used when the guitar's volume control is backed off.
The HT Boost just gives a more natural unadulterated tone that no other boost I have ever used comes close to - all others to my ears have a slightly mushy attack to them.
The EQ range is more than anyone could ever need, both Bass and Treble operating frequencies are very well tailored to guitar use really complimenting and enhancing core high and low tones.
I've tried a lot of od/boosts, and my favorite is the GE7 modded by Alchemy. I have a dsl40c which has a pretty fizzy gain channel. Not only can I dial out the frequencies I don't want, there's a boat load of volume, and after mod, the pedal is silent.

Derek S

Reaction score
Just like guitars and amps, it doesn't hurt to have a few different flavors of boost/od pedals. Tons out there to choose from, goes without saying, but you have to experiment and find the couple pedals that work best for your specific gear because what works with some setups may not with others. I personally have three boosts (I never seem to use any of them stacked with another, it's simply about options) myself for different things, a Timmy for a pure 'more', unaltered clean boost, a Koko Boost v1 for a selectable mid freq boost (as well as clean boost with its own personality/mojo and even a handy buffer) and lastly a modded SD-1 for the classic mid hump, tighten the low end boost because honestly, everyone who loves Marshall flavored EL34 amps should have an SD-1 (or something from the TS family).

flyfish-mt

Reaction score
I've been through a ton of boost/od pedals and what's still on my board?
-Timmy: the best clean boost with great tone controls.
-81' SD-1 (NEC chip): classic mid-boost.
-89' Rat 2: great over the top drive.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Wether you realise it or not, you're in the signature gear world now and so you got to at least read the interview with slash in the Australian guitar magazine where he talks about his approach to making the AFD 100 amp.

From there, you're better off to keep buying within the signature range of product.
Anything can happen if you buy other product and brands.
Don't listen to NON signature gear users! As far as you'd be concerned, they don't have credibility.
You've joined the signature gear users group which is a whole new ball game! And, it can't be beaten!
Enjoy your product and keep going!

royslead

Reaction score
Yep...prepare to buy Slash signature picks, guitar strap, cord, socks, underwear (his very own used, if you can get your hands on them), and condoms or you will no doubt suffer impending tone loss.

Solid State

Reaction score
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1 will take your amp and add some volume and sustain to that sound.

YJM308 will shift all of the frequencies to the mid and treble as well as a pretty significant volume boost. You may feel it thins the sound as a solo booster though.

There are a lot of newer flavors for ODs and boosts though. Get one that you think looks cool if all else fails.

If your Overdrive boost isn't bringing your solos up enough you will have to get an EQ for the effects loop to add some db. The MXR 10 band is really nice.

HotRats73

Reaction score
Wether you realise it or not, you're in the signature gear world now and so you got to at least read the interview with slash in the Australian guitar magazine where he talks about his approach to making the AFD 100 amp.

From there, you're better off to keep buying within the signature range of product.
Anything can happen if you buy other product and brands.
Don't listen to NON signature gear users! As far as you'd be concerned, they don't have credibility.
You've joined the signature gear users group which is a whole new ball game! And, it can't be beaten!
Enjoy your product and keep going!

Holy shit. I'm doomed!

dreyn77

Reaction score
In that interview, slash confirmed his sound matched his old appetite sound and then he added some MORE bass power cause by now, that's what he likes and already has in his setup.

But because of how this amp is purpose built, just like what some pedal companies are doing to their new models, if you want to play with ALL of the old methods of making the gunners recorded sounds, you'll need to still buy the old products.
If you turn the AFD 100 amp down as you're playing, it will react differently to the original gear sound reaction when you turn the sound down.

Toby Krewbs

Reaction score
Zoom MS50G has a couple of killer boosts in it.
I buy them used for $50-$70.

They give you a pile of other good stuff too.
Love those things!

ESPVH

Reaction score
Anyone here try the Malmsteen Fender overdrive? I'm thinking of getting one, currently running a SD-1 now with an EQ looped into my JCM 2000 DSL-100 > Celestion 4X12 85's.....

dslman

Reaction score
MXR M77 is a good one, fairly transparent and has a 100hz knob for dialing in a great tone.
As little or as much gain as desired.