Best Distortion Pedal Over a Marshall Plexi

• Thread starter jasonmaska
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jasonmaska

Reaction score
It's so hard to choose between these pedals! A lot of them sound amazing. Any suggestions to get a Jimmy Page like tone, I know he used a MK II PRofessional Tone Bender. Wanted to see if there was anything similar to that.

acidvoodoo

Reaction score
It's so hard to choose between these pedals! A lot of them sound amazing. Any suggestions to get a Jimmy Page like tone, I know he used a MK II PRofessional Tone Bender. Wanted to see if there was anything similar to that.

Try one of these, its awesome over a slightly gritty clean channel:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIQp1WRXP8s]Catalinbread RAH: Led Zeppelin Since I've Been Loving You - YouTube[/ame]

stilllifer

Reaction score
This is an amazing pedal. Sounds like it's trying to make your amp sound like a plexi, but I already have one...will that make it double as awesome??

I don't think so... it's made to emulate/simulate a plexi/jcm hotrodded tone, so like Quaser said, I think it's redundant to put it in front of your plexi. Take anything other than a Marshall and the Plexitone creates a cranked up Marshall. In front of my Jet City, it freakin screams and sounds great.
I think you really want more of a generic OD in front of your plexi... I use my TS-9 or SD-1 in front of my JCM900... would never put my Carl Martin in front of it...

jumpingjack

Reaction score
I have a Toneboys TBOD-50 Overdrive and it does exactly what you are looking for, I keep it on the whole gig and just roll down to go clean (this pedal cleans up better than any overdrive I have ever used) you can get one here

IMGP5115.JPG

jasonmaska

Reaction score
I looked for attenuators online...some go for $500-$800. Not really in the price range, had to spend big bucks just to get this plexi.

BlackLabel

Reaction score
I did a side by side comparison of the Wampler Plexi-drive, Wampler Pinnacle, Zvex Box of Rock, Zvex Distortron, Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret 3 and Catalinbread RAH. I was specifically looking for something I could use to make one of my Marshalls sound like they're cranked when I had it on about 2. The Zvex Distortron was the winner for overall accuracy of sound / great overall tone. The Catalinbread DLS3 was pretty damn good too tho. (Least favorites were the Plexi-Drive and the RAH, though it sounds awesome in that demo they made for it.)

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
weehbo JCM or PLexi drive

plexitube is good

for boosting the amp itse;f (and this is just built INTO modern circuits now mind you so it's the same thing just those parts aren't in an external box you step on in modern high gain amps)

use a boss SD-1 overdrive (not DS-1) or tube screamer/bad monkey and a boss CS-3. i ran those in front of a plexi for low volume modern rock to metal tones and it was all amp doing the work of saturation it was just goosed hard and it sounded great!

thelorddread

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEnAubS98c]Suhr Riot versus Joyo US Dream distortion guitar effects pedal shootout - YouTube[/ame]