• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Best Marshall Sound Laid To Tape?

• Thread starter jleftyy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I should add, an early delicious tone that reminds me of a more modern Marshall crunchy tone, is Harrison's multi-tracked lead guitar harmony parts on And Your Bird Can Sing from Revolver. A very warm sustaining growling tone with good midrange crunch. And then contrasted with John's somewhat clean rhythm guitar that sounds like a huge bell in its resonance. Awesome contrasting tones in one song from 1966.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got some favs I really like...such as Free and of course ACDC.

Let me add this to the bunch...

That first Badlands album is high on my fave list and a classic. Love that album. I have some rare stuff from them here somewhere.

Michael Schenker's sound on Strangers In The Night is the first thing I think of when people talk about great Marshall tones.

That is an album I cut my teeth on when I was a youngster learning to play guitar. I used to sit down and play rhythm guitar along with that entire album. I would have to credit that album as one of the keys to my strong rhythm guitar playing. And give credit to the engineers on that album as they captured Schenker's tone pretty well there. High on my elite list for sure.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget Band Of Gypsys
Although there's a bit of Fuzz Face involved to get a Strat pumpin like that ,Jimi's tone on the Message To Love solo is like being hit over the head with a bat !!

Solid State

Reaction score
My man Jake E Lee was using a pair JCM900s during the Badlands tour. He used a bunch of amps in the studio though

Buzzard

Reaction score
ULI JON ROTH w/scorps = bad ass tone (cant believe I forgot him) , I d love to know which jcm 900 jake e lee used ,as the 900 s are very underappreciated.

Solid State

Reaction score
I've got the picture of the two amps he used at the start of the tour
jake marshall.jpg

And then he ended up replacing both of these with JCM900s and the orange marshall sat on top. I don't know where I lost that picture to though. I'll keep digging.

jeffb

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Uli Jon Roth on Scorpions Tokyo Tapes yet (or any other Scorpions record with Uli for that matter).
At least that's the tone that inspired me the most back in the day.
I couldnt find a decent enough yootoob vid of Virgin Killer or Dark Lady.

colchar

Reaction score
To me, it is Duane's slide tone on "Statesboro Blues" from the live At Fillmore East album by the Allman Brothers Band. Dickey Betts gets great slide tone on a live version of "Ain't Wastin' Time No More" that I have, but even that isn't as good as Duane's tone on "Statesboro Blues".

We all know that the sound of compressed video files on youtube isn't great but, since I cannot post vinyl here, this will have to do:

Sailindawg

Reaction score
Don't forget Mick Ronson's guitar work through a Marshall Major with the Spiders from Mars. Watching the live videos of Moonage Daydream, Width of a Circle. He made that guitar howl, shriek & moan.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I've got some favs I really like...such as Free and of course ACDC.

Let me add this to the bunch...

One of my all time favorite guitar tones. ^^^^:agreed:
As much as they were an influence on my playing, I've never been a big ACDC tone guy. Here come the grenades!! I prefer my Marshalls with more raunch. :lalala: :scream:

Also Scorpions Blackout era and....

eastwood6

Reaction score
Early KISS. Any of it. I know "Alive" was doctored heavily to amp up the performance but the guitar sounds on that record are high on my list of Marshall reference tones.

The hottest band in the land:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
While I agree with the above and also think KISS Alive is one of the best and a huge influence for me, I found the first album to be rather weak tonally. I mean, KISS was a unique, loud, raw band with fantastic stage show yet the first album had a guitar tone that bordered on clean crunch real quickly. Losten to the chords tbat ring out in Strutter, they kinda ring rather than grind. Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes: I compare to the thick sound of Boston's earlier work just a few years later.
Love that old Coventry footage!!
Rock and Roll Over certainly had more raw grind to me.