• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Best Marshall Sound Laid To Tape?

• Thread starter jleftyy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jleftyy

Reaction score
For my money the best Marshall tone ever recorded was on Fair Warning by Van Halen.
Eddie's guitar sound on that album will rip your head off. Amp is cranked and dry (except for a little flanger here and there). There is no way to fake that. I can only imagine how loud that room was. His anger at the time was really channeled through his "el-cheapo" guitar and Super Lead. Love it.
What's your ultimate???

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
There are soooo many, but ACDC's Burnin' Alive comes to mind.

Last edited:

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
My personal favorite has always been the album "Black Rose" by Thin Lizzy.
The title track is an excellent example of a harmonised twin Les Paul Marshallfest and another number called "Get Outa Here" has in my opinion one of the most outrageously good guitar solo tones I have ever heard wail forth from a Marshall.
Back to the 70's again for this recommendation.

Buzzard

Reaction score
For me its van halen 1 ,2 and wacf .before that marshalls to me sounded just ok.After vh 1 it was (holy **it what was that!) Also Ive got to put eric johnson tones album up there .

jleftyy

Reaction score
No question AC/DC is up there...The only thing that bothers me about the early AC/DC records is that they apparently did not own tuner. To play along with the 1st 5 AC/DC albums you need 7 guitars all tuned slightly different.

Reactions: RCM

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard on highway to hell they just all tuned to Malcolm..probably what they did on all the early albums..

jleftyy

Reaction score
I heard on highway to hell they just all tuned to Malcolm..probably what they did on all the early albums..
What ever their tuning method was, I need a roadie to make all the guitar changes while jamming. Just on Highway there are 3 different versions of "standard tuning" used. The sound is amazing. My favorite AC/DC album.

NateSLC

Reaction score
For simple pure Marshall tone with no effects, my favorite album is the For Those About to Rock album by AC/DC. They always have really great tone but that entire album has something extra special going on.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Solarburn's Super Bowl 2017 Phogue The Patriots recording. lmao

( oh sorry that was Marshall to phone )

Solid State

Reaction score
Without a doubt, Angus Young is Marshall tone.

Yngwie has a fantastic Marshall sound with a midrange growl, high end squish and howling leads.