Best Od And Clean Boost For Plexi Style Amp Nmv

• Thread starter tman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tman

Reaction score
Hi guys and any gals Im looking for suggestions on a good OD and clean boost pedal for a Plexi style amp like the 59 SLP RI NMV style amp. Not all pedals sound good in front of these amps I've tried 3 so far and none of them I like. This is to boost and push an already over driving amp further with volumes up. The first pedal I tried added too many mids.The second one added to much treble sounded thin not fatter.And the third one I tried adds way too much bottom end gets flubby even with my eq cranked back.So I guess Im wanting a more transparent sounding pedal that can OD further and clean boost as well.I know Im asking a lot but its whats in my head Im trying to achieve lol. Please help me peeps. Oh and not over the top expensive either.

Jakeboy

Reaction score
This is easy.
Germanium Treble Booster for OD and a Colorsound Overdriver clone for boost, OD, distortion, and fuzz.

Any Klone will do the boost and OD well in front of NMV Marshalls too.

Really.

Chicago Stompworks and Tree of Life make great COD clones. I have both. Monsterpiece makes one too which I am certain is incredible.

JimiRules

Reaction score
I use a Bad Bob boost in front of my YJM. Here's a link if you want to check it out. I set my amp to where it breaks up a bit if I strum hard and then the bad bob overdrives it.

http://www.buyanalogman.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=AM-Bad-Bob-Booster

When I first got the amp I tried a few different pedals and the Bad Bob matched up really well.

For OD pedals I use a keeley BD2 and a stock SD1 both set up as clean boosts. I only use those for leads though.

tman

Reaction score
Can you tell us what 3 you already tried.
I tried a Marshall BB2 on boost mode but that seems really middy and compressed. I tried a MOD clean boost that adds too much bass,and I tried a MXR iL Torino that seems trebly.And I also had a Micro Amp but didnt like it at all not enough umph for me!! And that also gets a little bass heavy to my ears.

tman

Reaction score
So far on another forum I was suggested to try a OCD or a regular Boss SD-1 thats it so far.

SRD

Reaction score
MXR Micro Amp, no coloring, just hits the amp harder.
I've use it for the past 20+ years, tried other things and keep going back to it each time.

fat_lenny

Reaction score
I use an OCD clone and love it. I actually want to try a real OCD just to see if I am missing anything. I also like the Way Huge Red Llama, but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Metroman

Reaction score
Theres no best, but I like this pedal for a clean clear transparent drive with a Marshall Circuit.

Mine is a Metro GMP45 Head, which is a 1966 JTM45/2245 Head copy, and an Oversize Marshall/Mather TVB cabinet x 4 x 1972 Celestion G12Ms, EC Collins grill cloth.

Roger Mayer 4644 Drive. Best Ive used. Has a 10Hz-100KHz frequency response, and is a 4 stage Drive. Works with Any Pickup/Amplifier combination, and is Feedforward, and optimized to work with Digital gear.

Transparent ??? 10Hz-100KHz Ultra Wide Bandwidth x Feedforward. 100% analog. While not cheap, its no more expensive than many other Medium priced pedals. Also has 2 really good buffers, so it can drive 2 amplifiers, or can also be used True Bypass. Guitar Village has the best prices, if interested.

You will get no mud from this pedal, and while it does/can add highs, its never ice pick, unless the amp/guitar is ice pick. This pedal gives me everything I want in a medium gain, clean, and clear drive, that's capable of many really nice sounds/drive variations.

The Volume Sweep, is also the best Ive used. No big increases on any part of the dial, and is useful throughout the entire range.

Roger Mayer 4644 Drive - soundonsound.com
www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roger-mayer-4644-drive

Last edited:

tman

Reaction score
MXR Micro Amp, no coloring, just hits the amp harder.
I've use it for the past 20+ years, tried other things and keep going back to it each time.
I had a Micro Amp and sold it did not like it,but thanks for reply.

Reactions: SRD

Garrett

Reaction score
I've been happy with an OCD clone into more than just a Marshall circuit. Blues Driver-2 is also really nice if you don't like the SD-1 or TS9.

thunderkyss

Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions.

But it really is a very personal thing & unfortunately, you're going to have to go through them yourself to find out what you really want.

I also suggest checking out "That Pedal Show" on youtube. You should be able to pick out the ones pertaining to ODs, & it'll probably help you on your search. With any luck, the next pedal you try will be the one... or you may be lucky enough to try a bunch of them over the next few years. Either way, have fun.

Anthony King

Reaction score
I've been on the same quest and have been using a Blues Driver for lead. Problem is..even with gain all the way down, it's still too dirty. I've just ordered a Micro Amp and will let you know how it does. I play out of a stock '74 Super Bass that happens to have lots of gain so the BD is just too mushy with the volume all the way up and gain at zero. I hope the Micro Amp works well despite what tman stated above. At least you know there's a million choices out there!

tman

Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions.

But it really is a very personal thing & unfortunately, you're going to have to go through them yourself to find out what you really want.

I also suggest checking out "That Pedal Show" on youtube. You should be able to pick out the ones pertaining to ODs, & it'll probably help you on your search. With any luck, the next pedal you try will be the one... or you may be lucky enough to try a bunch of them over the next few years. Either way, have fun.
Yeah I just recently watched that one of theirs on OD's and the TS and the OCD both sounded pretty good.They played it through a Victory Sheriff 44 and that was as close to a plexi style amp they had there. And both sounded decent even the mids on the TS didn't sound bad through that amp.But the OCD sounded really good also.

tman

Reaction score
Im thinking of going with something by Fulltone either OCD or the Fulltone FD 3.What are you take son these pedals?

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you've ever tried a Zvex Box of Rock? It has an distortion side and a clean boost side.
Pretty cool pedal. I use it very often. Either just the boost, or sometimes a little distortion, sometimes both.

jmp45

Reaction score
Im thinking of going with something by Fulltone either OCD or the Fulltone FD 3.What are you take son these pedals?

OCD is a good choice. I have it as well as an FD2 on my board. Both good choices but to choose one, I'd go with the OCD and call it a day.

tman

Reaction score
OCD is a good choice. I have it as well as an FD2 on my board. Both good choices but to choose one, I'd go with the OCD and call it a day.
Can you use the OCD as a clean boost as well with volume turned up and gain down?And does it sound good with more gain added into a already dirty amp plexi dirty?? Not preamp dirty lol

tman

Reaction score
The FD3 is kinda like the FD2 however it has the ability to use just the boost side by itself.I like all 3 actually OCD,FD2,FD3