Best overdrive pedal to compliment a Marshall?

• Thread starter safc78
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

safc78

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was just wondering what overdrive pedals you use/recommend for your Marshalls. I have an AFD100 and a Haze 15 and I also use a JCM 800 at work on a regular basis- it's the Haze and the 2205 I'm really looking to add the overdrive to.

Thanks in advance etc

mike mike

Reaction score
People on here really dig the SD-1. from what i have heard, they sound amazing. Tube screamers always work as well, and there are some boutique pedals people here use as well.

safc78

Reaction score
I'm going to have to get an SD-1 to try... I have a DS-1 which I think is disappointing and I've had a MT-2 that sounded terrible so I've stayed clear of boss pedals for a while now. Saying that, I'll obviously be using a overdrive pedal to push an amp that's already overdriven, rather than using a distortion to change a clean amp.
Thanks for the info so far chaps.

transformerryan

Reaction score
Since I currently play through a TSL60 (currently waiting for the AFD100 to arrive), I use a Bad Monkey for warmer OD on the clean channel, it sounds fantastic. I also use a DOD YJM308 on my crunch/lead channels for a more aggressive, trebly OD. Although I've heard the SD-1 is great, I don't own one so I can't comment.

Fogboundturtle

Reaction score
I have a rule : no boss pedal on my pedal board. I use a TC Helicon Nova Drive. It's one of the most versatile and best pedal I ever used.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I use 2. A Way Huge Pork Loin soft clip o/d in front of the amp (4211 JCM800) and a Boss Blues Driver thru the loop to boost for solos. The Blues Driver is way better than a SD1 IMO. I had one for a while but I didn't like the effect on tone it had...the Blues Driver is way sweeter. The Mad Professor Sweet Honey has had really good press and I would certainly give one a go. Like anything else beauty is in the eye of the beholder so go and try a few.
:headbanger:

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Fulltone OCD, PlimSoul, or a Soul Bender if you can find one? They've been out of production for quite some time.

Midnight Blues

1972 LP Custom (1954 Black Beauty "Fretless Wonder" LE)
1976 LP Deluxe
2011 Peter Frampton Les Paul (PF 654)
2008 Alex Lifeson Inspired By ES-355 (AL 028)
2001 Fender American Stratocaster
Washburn D10S Acoustic
Dean Markley Strings (Reg. 10-46 gauge)
Marshall MG50DFX
Marshall MG15
Marshall MS-2
Vox V848 "Clyde McCoy" Wah Wah
Fulltone "Soul Bender"
Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone PlimSoul
Morley Volume Pedal
Boss DD7 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Marshall CAT Tuner

zachman

Reaction score
I have a rule : no boss pedal on my pedal board. I use a TC Helicon Nova Drive. It's one of the most versatile and best pedal I ever used.

Hmmm.... Interesting rule.:wtf:

IF you want to be, or act like a tone snob, perhaps you might reconsider your approach, and use the stuff that sets bold new standards???

Just a thought...

Latest posts