Best way to add gain to a jmp 2203

• Thread starter explorickenbacker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spiritdave

Reaction score
The master channel pushed hard gives you loads of gain... throw in some pre-amp volume and you're in hot territory. If you want to sound like Zakk Wylde, take a look at his rig. He uses an 800 2203 and boosts with an overdrive but doesn't have it up high on the gain. His sound is mostly active pickups into 800.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I have always been horrified by what stock sd1/ts9/ge7 do to the sound of an 800 or JMP. They strip away too much of the good stuff.

If you find some good modded versions of these though, it will be nice and transparent and you won't think twice about switching it on, knowing it will add to the tone rather than stripping it. I personally use Keeley modded ones, but have bought kits and modded my own with the same good results...

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I have always been horrified by what stock sd1/ts9/ge7 do to the sound of an 800 or JMP. They strip away too much of the good stuff.

If you find some good modded versions of these though, it will be nice and transparent and you won't think twice about switching it on, knowing it will add to the tone rather than stripping it. I personally use Keeley modded ones, but have bought kits and modded my own with the same good results...

That my friend is because you have not heard my OFA modded Boss OS-2. Chest pounding epic goodness... :dude:

Ken

Reaction score
What pickups are you using? If they're not very high output, swap them out for some that are. Use the adjusting screws so they're as close to the strings as possible without touching when you fret the last fret on each string.

This makes a big difference with any tube amp.

Ken

JimiRules

Reaction score
I use a bad bob clean boost. Its really transparent.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
If they're not very high output, swap them out for some that are. Use the adjusting screws so they're as close to the strings as possible without touching when you fret the last fret on each string.

Each to his own, but I would disagree with this for my purposes....part of the beauty of the older amps is that with low/med output pickups you can cut the guitar volume back and get a sweet clean sound....can't do that too well with hot pickups from my experiences. Could be wrong though...

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to mention I want a kill 'em all level of distortion, more is always welcome though, I just love the sound of the jmp so much I don't want to alter it, I just want more gain out of it.

Ken

Reaction score
Each to his own, but I would disagree with this for my purposes....part of the beauty of the older amps is that with low/med output pickups you can cut the guitar volume back and get a sweet clean sound....can't do that too well with hot pickups from my experiences. Could be wrong though...

On my DSL my pickups are also quite low. You don't need a huge input signal on the modern amps. Clean settings sound better this way too.

But on the vintage Marshalls, where you crank them loud because the tone is in the power tubes, higher output from your pickups will really help get more crunch and may eliminate the need for a pedal altogether. This is along the lines of what the OP wants to do; not necessarily good for you or me though. We both set the pickups with some space.

Ken

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to mention I want a kill 'em all level of distortion, more is always welcome though, I just love the sound of the jmp so much I don't want to alter it, I just want more gain out of it.

Killem all I think they used 2203 plus a Rat pedal? Is this right or am I thinking of a different time?

marshall1967

Reaction score
I use a c6 modded Boss sd-1 with my 2204, but any overdrive of your preference would work. Also, check out an MXR 10 band eq, or an Ibanex Tube screamer.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) Change the Cathode resistor on V1 to a Lower Value. I believe it's R6 should be around 10K Stock. I'd go 4.7 some even go as low as 1.2K. INTENSE GAIN.

:cool::cool: TWIN

kam4ff

Reaction score
I used to use an SD1. I do not anymore. I use either an Xotic EP or preferably I use my MXR 10 band. The xotic gives it a sweet, more slo kind of lead and is a bit heavier in the bottom on rhythms which I dig for metal. However if its straight up bad ass marshall balls to the walls I use the MXR. I tend to play with the MXR the most. Its pretty transparent in my opinion as is the EP, its me and mine, just louder.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
gh_middleman.jpg

i have tried loads of boosters and the middle man by greehouse effects in front of my 2204 gives me the best transparent tone...with mids to spare for lead work

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
The answer will change depending on how loud you're playing and if you use your guitar knobs wide open or roll them up and down and which kind of pick you use.

I like an OD with treble and bass controls in front or an EQ. The quieter you play the more gain and bass you'll want to cop the tone.

Use a thin but extremely sturdy pick.

My 2 cents. Good luck!