Blackmore tone?

• Thread starter Apula Mawanga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
I hae a Pod 2.0 and I didn't like it at all. The real VOX is completely different.
Probably the one that gets closer is Guitar Rig. My Boss GT-10 does the clean sound very well, but not the crunchy, it's too messy.
Marshall Major? hu they are 200w beasts! A Mass 200 is required... and they obviously must be cranked to get into tube saturation.... the house is going down

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Modellers can sound credible if properly tweaked, but will never capture the nuances of a real, fully cranked amp like those. They're excellent to play/record at home or if u have a coverband thou - i.e. u need many different sounds, like I do

I had a POD Pro. Didn't like it because it just didn't seem to have the processing power to do simple sounds. A lot of times, I'd hear little blips, especially playing playing fast solo runs.
The sounds were nothing like the real amps either. I sold it. I'd rather have a couple of pedals and a real amp.

For Blackmore, I'm not sure which model would be good on the POD. his sound is so raw, I think that it would be a waste of time trying to get his sound with a POD.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The POD is good for fooling around when you need absolute quiet or to record something really quick at home ... other than that, they're somewhat limited. I certainly wouldn't purchase one thinking you're going to get an accurate representation of real amps they simulate on the cheap.

prolife

Reaction score
well some of this really sounds credible argument but i have my own experience to add here. there are no blips on the pod xt. mine is maxed out (all models) and up to date. the brit major like i say is the blackmore model but did he use an added pedal at the jam? adding a ts, as a boost, to the brit model gives a plexi tone.
the jcm 800 model on the pod sounds as bad as i remember my 2210 and 1960a to be. i truely disliked the tone and even though i hear what you guys are saying. i compared a cheap beringer od100 to my mg10cd. i was expecting it to be better than the mg. it's actually a clone of the boss od2. the marshall tone wins over the beringer on all settings but the pod kills the mg10. with both tone and variety thats not saying much to some maybe. to my ears the mg10 does get good tone just not tube warmth. i also had a park 50 watt head and it's been a long time since i had a real tube but it to seemed little to write home about. i only had an od with that but i could not get the angus tone i was after! hopefully soon i'll have something but i am a pod fan. i hope a the haze 15 will be all i want it to be. on youtube it makes a great tone. i'll be going through a 15" speaker though!
can a haze 15 get the blackmore tone?:hippie:

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Never tried one - but I told you the way.
Vox aC30 at high volume (normal channel), Germanium treble booster, SM57 on axis far

prolife

Reaction score
it really is a brit major here!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R-voFL4ZL8[/ame]

prolife

Reaction score
yeah but this is the tone i like over the studio tone. i know this concert most of all. the albums sounds a little week at times, unless we are talking in rock!

by the way this is a marshall forum so i'd assume when someone says blackmore tone we ARE talking the brit major.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Vox are excellent amps, I own one and I love it.
Its defect is being a "two-trick pony". You only get a clean and a crunchy sound, and they are not footswitchable. They are fantastic, sure, but for live applications, or if I want some modern tone, I feed in the preamps from the GT-10. I often use the "MS Higain" or the "Boss Drive" (one is jcm800/900 like, the other one is a boss original, perhaps more laney like)...
The Rectifiers are too much for me though =P

Anyway, most vintage amps are "one" or "two-trick ponies". Think to the Plexi or JCM800, they have one or two sounds as well. They surely sound great but it's a similar problem :hmm:

Just exactly how many tricks is the amp amp supposed to do? And I don't hear anything playing well either. Do you know of an amp that does all styles of music well?

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Just exactly how many tricks is the amp amp supposed to do? And I don't hear anything playing well either. Do you know of an amp that does all styles of music well?

Randall MTS series or Egnater modular amps. And perhaps Mesa Boogie Mark V.
But they cost a lot :D

Also the Marshall JVM look very versatile, but it wouldn't do jazz for sure ;)

Btw, the AC30 gives an excellent nu-jazz/ambient tone too.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
So the VM has KT88 power tubes and the output section is Ultra-linear?

I was wondering when you were going to get to this. Yes I know what that is and what it means. I can relate to it, but most of the young 'ens don't know and don't care. They will never know that a Major was a bomb that could explode at any minute. Four KT88's when there should have been six. "50 watts a bottle!" That's what they got. Forget about putting any sort of distortion or booster in front of this. It'd be like 50 pounds of napalm going off.

Yeah, it was a big old brute with a Hi Fi heart.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
i knew he used the majors alot back in the day , but the ac30 was news to me !!!
very cool ..

i have payed thru a cranked !, original ac30 , it was a tone a will never forget !!

hmstrat

Reaction score
When I saw Blackmore, he plugged his Strat directly into a Sony 650 reel-to-reel which was then plugged into the Marshall ... He did that to pre-amp that Strat's signal going into that NMV Marshall. Why? Because Strats basically sounded like hammered sh#t when you ran their unadulterated single-coil ice-picky signal directly into any NMV Marshall back then (Strat-itis was a huge problem in those days)... And remember, guys like Hendrix and Trower always plugged their Strats into some stomp-box type stuff before the signal reached the NMV amp... Don't believe me??? Then plug your Strat into a Plexi and crank it up to about 5... and you'll immediately see what I mean - that's called "Strat-itis.."

IMO, the secrets to Blackmore's Deep Purple MKII sound were that he used an ultra-STIFF pick, and that he pre-amped that Strat with the tape deck to give it just the right amount of crunch... (And, of course, his finger vibrato was fairly unique...)

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I was wondering when you were going to get to this. Yes I know what that is and what it means. I can relate to it, but most of the young 'ens don't know and don't care. They will never know that a Major was a bomb that could explode at any minute. Four KT88's when there should have been six. "50 watts a bottle!" That's what they got. Forget about putting any sort of distortion or booster in front of this. It'd be like 50 pounds of napalm going off.

Yeah, it was a big old brute with a Hi Fi heart.

You sure you won't adopt me so I can be your Son?

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
When I saw Blackmore, he plugged his Strat directly into a Sony 650 reel-to-reel which was then plugged into the Marshall ... He did that to pre-amp that Strat's signal going into that NMV Marshall. Why? Because Strats basically sounded like hammered sh#t when you ran their unadulterated single-coil ice-picky signal directly into any NMV Marshall back then (Strat-itis was a huge problem in those days)... And remember, guys like Hendrix and Trower always plugged their Strats into some stomp-box type stuff before the signal reached the NMV amp... Don't believe me??? Then plug your Strat into a Plexi and crank it up to about 5... and you'll immediately see what I mean - that's called "Strat-itis.."

IMO, the secrets to Blackmore's Deep Purple MKII sound were that he used an ultra-STIFF pick, and that he pre-amped that Strat with the tape deck to give it just the right amount of crunch... (And, of course, his finger vibrato was fairly unique...)

First of all what year are you talking about? Ritchie didn't start using the Tape deck till about 1974. But most of the early 70's remembered sound was the Vox sound in the Studio and the Live sound of the Major (cascaded) being pushed with the treble booster or what the Blackmore nuts call the "Made in Japan" sound. Ritchie's "Tape-Deck" tone is much brighter and cleaner sounding and I personally don't like it. But Ritchie was always evolving in his sound and the things he used to get a new sound.

You refer to "Strat-itis" as the tone of a strat? I have a 1968 so called Plexi era amp (Model 1987) and none of my strats sound "Ice Picky" at all through it! And Jimi use a FuzzFace or a Roger Mayer Octave fuzz because he want an over the top sound. Robin Trower use two Range Master pedals in the early days to achieve the sustain he was looking for. Normally stratitis refers to the fact that strat pickup have exceptionally strong magnets in them and if you get them too close to the strings they tend to pull notes out of tune! But here is the deal, if your strat is too bright or ice picky for you "Turn the god damn treble & the presence down or don't play a Strat!"

Latest posts