Blackmore tone?

• Thread starter Apula Mawanga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Hi,I don't know almost nothing about,but let me ask a few of question..
What do you mean for 'ultra-linear' Output section? is it the OT?
Why 'crappy' OT? Why does it will blow,explode?is it delicate so? .............Are the JMP 100W's OTs better,more reliable,stronger? is this why them have a no ultra-linear OT? What's the difference and which between both will work less hard....and no explode when I will set them on 10 ?

Ok ultra-linear: Ultra-linear means that the Screens on the power tube are fed by taps on the Output Transformer, instead of having their own supply from the Main Power Supply. It is more of a HI-FI type design and it is tonally different sounding; definitely not suited for high power rock situations. Take a look at the pic below see where it is marked 300v & 500v those are the UL screen taps.

convetional20amplifier20with20outpu.png

Ok the crappy OT's Marshall used. The Majors runs it's plate voltages at the max (up to 620vdc) and the Dagnall OT's were not of superior quality and would blow up regularly. And foremost you cannot compare the typical Marshall 100 or 50 watt amp to the Major, they are completely different beast.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hey that's interesting. They got the design from GEC (our friends at GE). No wonder they went all out with the KT88's. Well, Fender got their amp plans from RCA and "did" make numerous modifications. And Marshall took the Fender design. I guess those folks at GEC were just trying to be helpful. Yes that Rose-Morris period was almost devastating for Marshall. I sometimes wonder how they made it.

They only made 1200 Majors in seven years. Ugh!

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Hey that's interesting. They got the design from GEC (our friends at GE). No wonder they went all out with the KT88's. Well, Fender got their amp plans from RCA and "did" make numerous modifications. And Marshall took the Fender design. I guess those folks at GEC were just trying to be helpful. Yes that Rose-Morris period was almost devastating for Marshall. I sometimes wonder how they made it.

They only made 1200 Majors in seven years. Ugh!

Ya good ol' GE. You know your stuff, most people don't realize GEC was General Electric of England.

its true nobody designed a guitar amp from scratch, I mean nobody.

You know Marty I think your guys at Sunn are the only one's that got the ultra-linear thing right in a musical instrument amp.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Well in the late 60's until they got bought out by Fender, SUNN made a wide variety of equipment. Hell, I had several SUNN amps. I bought one of those small BETA amps to lug around on TDY's. It finally got stolen in Madrid, Spain.

The tube amps that Sunn made were very simple, sort of like a no frills 800. They used quality, oversized transformers and they were P to P wiring. When they come up for sale on EBAY, they get snapped up.

My biggest disappointment was when a SUNN Enforcer came up for sale on EBAY. Only about a 1000 of these were made and Ted Nugent had an endorsement deal with SUNN and these amps. Ted's were custom painted in camouflage. Supposedly some guy has three (out of the four) of them. Anyway, I thought the amp was going to skyrocket in price and I didn't bid on it. It went for $455. The main thing is a girl was selling it and claimed it had been in a closet for 18 years (help, my power filters!). She claimed she turned it on (without a load) and it came on. I guess I got some bad vibes, but not like the one's I got when the amp went for less than $500. These were 120 watt amps. This amp evolved into the Model T. Fender actually made some Model T's before shutting what was left of SUNN down.

There early 70's stuff is what I like.

Apula Mawanga

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. I think I might go with taking an attenuator to a Vox AC30. However, the versatility of the VM kind of attracts me, and as I've never played one, will the tone be similar to the 72-73 tone (I like both studio and live). I don't want to have a Major blow up on me, though.

For now, I'll stick to using my tele (my tele has all the pickup positions that Blackmore used). I'm beginning to save for a second guitar (R.B. Signature Stratocaster) tho.

P.S. You guys are making me so jealous with all the talk of all these concerts that you attended. Ritchie quit Deep Purple before I was born :(

hmstrat

Reaction score
Well in the late 60's until they got bought out by Fender, SUNN made a wide variety of equipment. Hell, I had several SUNN amps. I bought one of those small BETA amps to lug around on TDY's. It finally got stolen in Madrid, Spain.

The tube amps that Sunn made were very simple, sort of like a no frills 800. They used quality, oversized transformers and they were P to P wiring. When they come up for sale on EBAY, they get snapped up.

I was also given a couple of SUNN SS amps to use (the "Concert" & the "Coliseum") thru cabs with JBL 15" speaks...
Man , that "Concert" Lead totally kicked ass; and when compared to previous early SS amps like, say, a Standel Super Imperial - well, The SUNN just ate it alive. But for some reason, the SUNN lower wattage "Concert" sounded much better than the higher-wattage "Coliseum" - I could never figure out why... :)

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Over on a Jimi Hendrix thread, I was talking about how SUNN worked a deal out with Jimi. That's what Jimi played through, a bunch of Coliseums and Sunn cabs with 2 JBL D130's in each cab. Noel used the same amps, but his cabs had D140's in them for bass guitar. But Jimi didn't like the noise the SUNN amps were making and he caught SUNN in a lie and the 4 year contract lasted about 10 months.

I could see Jimi using SUNN tube amps, especially one's with 6550's, but I have to wonder why he took a stab at solid state amps? For one thing, they were new and not field tested for durability.

Anyway, you had some of their big SS amps.

custom53

Reaction score
Blackmore was a bad man before he went acoustic...
th_Blackmore.jpg

Ken

Reaction score
For the typical Blackmore tone, I've been able to get pretty close with a DSL on the green channel and just a regular strat.

Yup, except I use the split coil on my Les Paul. To get any closer to sounding like Blackmore one has to BE Blackmore. He'd sound the same through a Fender I'm sure, just like all the great players sound like themselves with whatever they play through. But for his tone the trick is the same as getting Page: don't use too much distortion!

Ken

Trick

Reaction score
LOL! I missed them on the Perfect Strangers tour because the gears jammed on my friend's '73 Nova (I still hate column shifters) somewhere on I-24 south of Nashville.

Strangely, it did it again on the way home from Bob Seger. I wish I'd missed that show - I slept through half of it. I never did understand why people liked quaaludes.

I caught that tour here in California at Bill Grahams Shoreline Amphitheater. What an awesome show! The first and last time I saw Deep Purple. Ritchie was on fire! They had this laser show of Beethoven conducting the band as they did Difficult to Cure (Beethoven's 9th)Still I'm Sad plus others in a melodic medley! I'll never forget!

Last edited:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Always have loved to listen to Blackmore, and always will.

StratMatt

Reaction score
RB never ran the Marshalls flat out on stage, they were running at around 30% to give his sound a better "spread", that's why there was no power-tube o/d. In early Purple days, when the 335 was still being used, it was plugged into an AC30 in an empty Marshall 4x12. Since '74, he has always used the AIWA reel to reel as his pre-amp/delay. From around '78, his sound varied as he tried just about every pickup available. Nowadays RB is using Gold Lace Sensors

Apula Mawanga. If you decide to buy an RB Signature model, try to get one of the early Jap ones, superb build quality.

doomedfuzz

Reaction score

My biggest disappointment was when a SUNN Enforcer came up for sale on EBAY. Only about a 1000 of these were made and Ted Nugent had an endorsement deal with SUNN and these amps. Ted's were custom painted in camouflage. Supposedly some guy has three (out of the four) of them. Anyway, I thought the amp was going to skyrocket in price and I didn't bid on it. It went for $455. The main thing is a girl was selling it and claimed it had been in a closet for 18 years (help, my power filters!). She claimed she turned it on (without a load) and it came on. I guess I got some bad vibes, but not like the one's I got when the amp went for less than $500. These were 120 watt amps. This amp evolved into the Model T. Fender actually made some Model T's before shutting what was left of SUNN down.

There early 70's stuff is what I like.

I'm out looking for info on Sunn Enforcers and ran across this thread. I bought one (a head) yesterday at a local music store for $350 in amazing condition. From what I can tell, all original, including the big bottle 6L6s. Has the biggest transformers that I've ever seen in an amp. I don't have the ABY footswitch at the moment so its basically a one channel amp until I can find one that works or have one made (run channel A or channel B or Channel A/B together). I tried a Marshall and regular Orange footswitch and it basically will get me both channels or the A channel. I may have to bi-amp rig if I want to use it live as we do a lot clean stuff (but we are a heavy stoner/doom band with lots of Sleep/Kyuss/Sabbath influence). Tone, well, I've barely been able to take it though the paces yet (Monday night at rehearsal I will) but it is killer sounding. Cleans are Fender like on channel A, darker on channel B, and the dirt tone, well let's just say a cranked Bassman meets a Beta Lead (which I also own) - meaning amazing. May take the number one spot from my Orange Rockerverb 100, its that great sounding.

Latest posts