Blackstar H1-r1 Head

• Thread starter ricksconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GerryL98

Reaction score
killer price. my head was NIB from GC $150 out the door.
if I could find a matching 1x12 remotely close to your price
that would be a killer setup for little of nothing.
Curious. How did you get that price? was that negotiated or was there a sale?

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my case I bought the Head at a Pawn shop for $100 used, pretty much perfect condition. The HT112 cab I bought off reverb brand new in the box for $75 +$20 shipping, I just went back and looked at what I paid for it before this post... So I have $195 in the whole little rig pictured..Its still in perfect condition.

Hogie34

Reaction score
So Rickster, I just picked one of these up from sweetwater . Told my salesman that their close out price was good but folks were getting them for $150 out the door just about everywhere. Couple of dirty jokes later and he said it would ship tomorrow at $150 shipped. i had the the HT-5 and the HT-5 metal but dumped those along with most of my amps when I got the Kemper and AxeFx. I've been missing having low wattage amps around so this should be a nice addition to the family. Thanks for giving me the needed push with your enthusiasm for it, buddy!

ricksconnected

Reaction score
oh cool. I hope you like it. remember to run it through a proper
cab. great price to boot. very interested to hear your opinion on this amp head.
like we stated, the head is a very different beast than the combo itself.
they just cant be compared. :jam:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
My biggest complaint about all Blackstars is the dedicated clean channel I have no use for, if the clean had a gain knob it would be a different story.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gain knob on the ht1rh is active for both channels. Although playing with the gain up and switching to the clean channel its more of a crunch channel than a clean channel. I really dig this little head, for the price of a pedal I cant believe more people haven't tried one. It'll drive a 4x12 and has a good reverb too.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The gain knob on the ht1rh is active for both channels. Although playing with the gain up and switching to the clean channel its more of a crunch channel than a clean channel. I really dig this little head, for the price of a pedal I cant believe more people haven't tried one. It'll drive a 4x12 and has a good reverb too.
I'll have to take a look at them again its been a long time since I tried one, I really liked the gain channel but the clean channel was crystal clean and no ability to get gain, I like a dirty clean sound, edge of breakup so to speak.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to take a look at them again its been a long time since I tried one, I really liked the gain channel but the clean channel was crystal clean and no ability to get gain, I like a dirty clean sound, edge of breakup so to speak.
Thats not the case with this one. The clean channel gets kinda jcm/jmp/ crunchy with the gain and volume up. Myself I wish the channels were footswitchable, and trio of tone controls would be nice instead of the isf control..that and i wish you didnt have to take it out of the headshell to roll tubes.

Last edited:

Hogie34

Reaction score
oh cool. I hope you like it. remember to run it through a proper
cab. great price to boot. very interested to hear your opinion on this amp head.
like we stated, the head is a very different beast than the combo itself.
they just cant be compared. :jam:

So, opened the box 4hrs ago and had a hell of a time pulling myself away from this little amp to even write a quick reply. Rick, I'm impressed dude. This is a great amp that will NOT be going back to sweetwater. I agree, the combo and the head have absolutely zero in common. I don't care how they got the tone out of this thing, solid state , diode clipping etc...it has big amp thump through my 2x12 . For the cost of a good OD pedal, you can't go wrong with this thing at all.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
damn right 34, there is a HUGE difference between the two.
its very easy to tell who in this thread has actually tried one and who hasn't isn't it?
GREAT bang for the buck. small enough to take anywhere too. great for recording,
anything really. very controllable too isn't it?

Hogie34

Reaction score
Yeah, it is. I was worried about the single tone control with only having the ISF, but it is more responsive and better sounding the the HT-5 with the TMB controls.

It's funny, when I started playing it, my wife even noticed how good it sounded. She yelled from the other room,"is that the new toy , that thing sounds gooooood babe, damn!" She came into the room and said that she didn't think there was any way I was going to be happy with that " little toy" and that it would just be another amp in a long line that I dumped. She actually sat in the room and listened for about a half hour saying how good it sounded.

I totally get that I'm still in the honeymoon phase but man, all I did was set everything at noon and hit the first chord and was blown away that the little amp pushes some air.

As far as clean sound, I don't know what people are talking about . Gain barely up and master 3/4 and it's clean clean. Crank the gain a little still in clean mode and you start getting some nice tasty break up. Switch it to OD and there's just so much this little thing can do.

Dude, I'm a believer.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
very rewarding when your wife or girlfriend takes notice isn't it lol.
the honeymoon phase does come to a end but that tone damn sure doesn't lol.
yes these amps are capable of a lot actually. best mini amp ive ever tried.
that ISF knob will fool ya wont it? I wasn't sure I would like it either but its very
ear friendly.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He..he...nobody believed us..all three of us are tone deaf I guess..for $150 you cant go wrong.. Glad you like it, and another affirmation that the head and combo are not the same!

Hogie34

Reaction score
It's really hard for me to like playing through an amp these days. With having the Kemper and the AxeFx, I always have The perfect sound and I can never get my amps to sound as good . This little sucker has me wanting to step away from the recording desk and actually play a real amp again which is a good thing.