Bluesbreaker reissues??

• Thread starter Guitarman1996
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steveb63

Reaction score
I have a 2014 BB re-issue. It's just a JTM45 with added tremolo in a full cab width 2 x 12. It's basically a head bolted to the back panel of the combo cab, so if you wish, you could always get a headbox built to drop the chassis in and keep the combo box as a 2 x 12 cab.
The orientation of the print on the chassis is correct for putting in a headbox.
I've put some casters on mine because, as some others have said, the combo is not to be confused with light. Sounds fantastic though. 5881's (military spec 6L6's) and GZ34 rec.
I purchased one years ago with a destroyed cab, put in a headbox from Sourmash.

my stuff.jpg

leofender55

Reaction score
I have a Bluesbreaker Reissue I bought years ago. The back panel is marked: 50W Tremelo, and the top panel is marked: JTM. My buddy has a Bluesbreaker Reissue, and his back panel is marked: JTM45. They appear to be the same amp.
I read an article a few years back by an amp tech in England. He wrote about a project he did to try to get a BB Reissue as close to the original, including making a new cab to original specs. I took the info to amp guru Ben Fargen and talked him into trying it. I ordered Gold Lion KT66 tubes and Ben put in Mercury Magnetics transformers and his proprietary Sozo caps and other improvements. The KT66's fit in my amp, which I've read won't fit in some reissues. The improvement was fantastic, and jump started his "Hot Mod" upgrades.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
Hi, a 4 dB change (0.4 of a Bel) means that the 100W amp generates 2.5 times the sound pressure of the 30W.

Having played many 100's and having just bought a BB, I will agree that a 100 watt amp is MUCH louder in the room than the 30 watt amp. A 30 watt amp is bearable to be in a room with. Without attenuation, the 100 is pushing it even with hearing protection.

I'll also add a different perspective on the combo vs head and cabinet argument. Historically, I have always been a head/cab guy. Over the past year and a half, my band hasn't been gigging and we have focused on recording. Our bassist has a studio that he built in his house and we do our own recording. Rather than constantly using and attenuating one of my 100 watt heads I started taking amps like my Class 5, my Blues Jr, and the Princeton I bought with one of the stimulus checks. It was when I was hauling the princeton out to my car to take to a recording session that it hit me. I like having my full pedalboard, but if I had a few pedals that I liked and could throw in my backpack that I haul my cables and mics in, with a combo amp I could conceivably do a one trip load-in. Granted, this is a lot easier with a 1x12 combo than something like a BB. Still, the BB doesn't weigh more than a 4x12. After some experimentation, I've found that I like open back 2x12's better than a closed back 4x12, and my one functioning cabinet that I have right now is an open back 2x12 with Redbacks in it. So even with the Bluesbreaker, I could do a one-trip load in, or at least one trip from my car to the door and then bring the stuff inside the door a piece at a time.

Kim Lucky Day

Reaction score
Of course Marshall could just issue a new JTM Studio 20H/C and really make things interesting.... Did someone say "take my money"?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
The price may be to good for me to pass up. However if it comes down to it I would go for the JTM45 and a cab.
I have both SV20h and Bluesbreaker combo.
The BB is a 2014 5881 version. It's quite a lot louder than the the SV20. I'm using one as backup for the other. Need less volume, then I run the SV20 into the BB's speakers. SV20 not loud enough, then just the BB stand alone. My other option is a Vintage Modern combo which I do the same with. As others have said though the drawback is the weight of the 2x12 combos....but it does give you options and back up if either has a problem.

Guitarman1996

Reaction score
I have both SV20h and Bluesbreaker combo.
The BB is a 2014 5881 version. It's quite a lot louder than the the SV20. I'm using one as backup for the other. Need less volume, then I run the SV20 into the BB's speakers. SV20 not loud enough, then just the BB stand alone. My other option is a Vintage Modern combo which I do the same with. As others have said though the drawback is the weight of the 2x12 combos....but it does give you options and back up if either has a problem.

So this thread is pretty old, I did end up with a JTM45, had it for a bit and sold it. Didn’t hate it by any means but my SV20h did all I needed it to and still have it. Got a Fryette PS-2 a while back and it’s been a match made in heaven. Run it hot enough to be to loud, use the PS2 to bring the volume to whatever level I need. It’s my main OD tone. Flip side is I have to use an LP style guitar so I can use the neck pup as an ‘instant’ clean tone. Or I can also quickly get a good clean tone with my EVH Wolfgang with that Burns style volume pot.

Reaction score
I have an 89 BB RI with Trem. I almost never use tremolo. So any thoughts on just removing it from the amp? Will it change the tone? What mods could I or should I make with the removal.
Also any thoughts on JJ KT66 tubes? Thanks.

Crikey

Reaction score
A JTM45 can get pretty darned loud. I know, I have one. (First Marshall reissue model, late 90s.) I think it'll keep up with most drummers. I'd hesitate to say that mine sounds like a Plexi. Honestly it sounds like an early Fender Bassman plugged into a Marshall 4x12 full of Greenbacks....and that's pretty much exactly what it is. The JTM45 was almost a straight copy of the Bassman circuit.

A 30 watt amp is only going to be about 4 dB quieter than a 100 watt amp. It's not a huge difference in volume.
Tell my Vox AC 30 that shes supposed to be quiet. That30 watt roars
My budda 18 is the same way
I think there is a video showing a db test on a vox
I imagine the jtm could match it db wise

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I have an 89 BB RI with Trem. I almost never use tremolo. So any thoughts on just removing it from the amp? Will it change the tone? What mods could I or should I make with the removal.
Also any thoughts on JJ KT66 tubes? Thanks.
Some people say that the trem circuit adds to the magic whether you use it or not. I don’t know about removing it but have you tried pulling the tube that runs that part of the circuit? I just run the trem in my BB clone on zero.

Reaction score
Yes I heard that too. That's why I am asking. There is a lot for me to learn about the BB and trying to get to
that original tone that Clapton had. I am purchasing new tubes that should fit the RI which I think the JJs will work in. I wanted to get GECs or much cheaper Golden Lions but they might not fit? Thanks.

Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and bought the KT66 Golden Lions from TubeDepot now to learn how to rebias the amp to 40 mA?

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
40mA might be a little high for kt66’s. What equipment are you using to bias your amp?

NativH

Reaction score
Yes I heard that too. That's why I am asking. There is a lot for me to learn about the BB and trying to get to
that original tone that Clapton had. I am purchasing new tubes that should fit the RI which I think the JJs will work in. I wanted to get GECs or much cheaper Golden Lions but they might not fit? Thanks.
The GEC KT66's are a significant component of the JTM45 and hence BB magic. I have owned 2 - 1965 block logo JTM45s, several BB RI amps, and a killer Paul Ruby JTM45 block logo build using Marstran iron and in every one of them I used GEC KT66's, Mullard GZ34 and Mullard ECC83's. The BB combo's had Weber Alnico Silver Bell and Blue Dog speakers (1 each) and the Marshall 4x12 was loaded with G12H30's to tighten up the low end of the JTM's. My experience is if you are looking to replicate a specific sound, you need to use the specific variables or as close as possible. I am not a tube guru but several that lurk around here are, and from my memory, they said that the new production KT66's are not true kinkless triodes like the GEC's.. Kinkless or kinky is lost on me but I traded out the new production KT66's, even in a flat sounding Astoria Custom I purchased, put in GEC's and got the vintage sound I was hearing in my head. Some say vintage glass is for cork sniffers, well, so be it.

Reaction score
The GEC KT66's are a significant component of the JTM45 and hence BB magic. I have owned 2 - 1965 block logo JTM45s, several BB RI amps, and a killer Paul Ruby JTM45 block logo build using Marstran iron and in every one of them I used GEC KT66's, Mullard GZ34 and Mullard ECC83's. The BB combo's had Weber Alnico Silver Bell and Blue Dog speakers (1 each) and the Marshall 4x12 was loaded with G12H30's to tighten up the low end of the JTM's. My experience is if you are looking to replicate a specific sound, you need to use the specific variables or as close as possible. I am not a tube guru but several that lurk around here are, and from my memory, they said that the new production KT66's are not true kinkless triodes like the GEC's.. Kinkless or kinky is lost on me but I traded out the new production KT66's, even in a flat sounding Astoria Custom I purchased, put in GEC's and got the vintage sound I was hearing in my head. Some say vintage glass is for cork sniffers, well, so be it.
Hmmm that is food for thought. However the cost of the vintage glass is rocking high and further I don't even know exactly what vintage glass I am looking for. Also you mention the Mullard GZ34 and Mullard ECC83s. They are also vintage so we are looking at $1,500 in vintage tubes for a $1,600 dollar amp. I don't know if that is cost effective for me. So Kt66s from Genalex (Golden Lions) are not really KT66s? I didn't know that. I am not saying I won't go all the way with this but I am at this point putting my toe in first.