Boost pedal for JCM 800 1987???

• Thread starter motlycat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

motlycat

Reaction score
Hi folks...im looking for a Solo-boost pedal for jcm 800/1987 N.M.V 50 watt,
using amp with boss MD2 but needs that extra kick in the pants for solo stuff!!
I know there loads of gear out there,i've already tried Fulltone ocd and that didnt do it for me,would a clean boost push it through the mix??......playing mainly very loud punk stuff,
any help greatly appreciated....cheers. Ged :wave:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
You need an fx loop for a boost to work as intended. There is one solution though, Weber makes an attenuator and an extra add-on you can get is a footswitch. Crank the amp to lead level then click on the attenuator with the attenuation set a couple db lower for your rythmn volume.

EL 34

Reaction score
i really like the BBE boosta grande. it's a simple clean boost with a true bypass. one knob. it provides up to 26 extra db i believe.

Last edited:

motlycat

Reaction score
Cheers for the help guys.....definately some food for thought here.Weber attenuator's dont come up too often in the uk...but defo worth a look at.the other pedals recommended i'm not familiar with so i'd better get checking some of them out....thank once again.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
You are using a distortion pedal, check out some OD pedals. I like the boss SD1, and mine has been modded by our forum guru at OFA.

ReiGnMaN

Reaction score
I know there loads of gear out there,i've already tried Fulltone ocd and that didnt do it for me,would a clean boost push it through the mix??......playing mainly very loud punk stuff,

Take my advice.
Biyang EQ pedal.

10 band
foot switchable
clean tone "True bypass"
VERY easy to see illuminated

That pedal was the secret to boosting my 1981 jcm800 for years before I sold it. You have the option of straight boosting the signal or boosting where it lacks. I personally ran it as a mid boost and bumped everything a little more on an apex and yea, perfect.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
One of these ....

hot-tubes-70-albums-onfloor-audio-pedals-picture8552-dsc04510.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Cheers for the help guys.....definately some food for thought here.Weber attenuator's dont come up too often in the uk...but defo worth a look at.the other pedals recommended i'm not familiar with so i'd better get checking some of them out....thank once again.

Any attenuator with an on off switch will work. But using a boost out front and not in an fx loop will only get you more gain not volume so keep that in mind. Another way to achieve a lead boost effect out front (I'm assuming you dont have an fx loop) is with a volume pedal such as the EHX Signal Pad. This works exactly like a guitar volume knob except its in a pedal. This lets you crank your amp to lead level, and with this pedal engaged and set appropriately will lower the volume just like as if you did it with your guitar volume knob to get your rythm volume, except this is done with your foot much easier than fumbling for a guitar knob. Theres also a member here who goes under the name of New Religion that added an fx loop to his 2203 and says its totally seamless and awesome.

Last edited:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score

it depends on how you are running the MD2. if you're running that full as your main distortion then it won't add to the output but if you hump the mids in an eq or lower output level the eq(reverse eq method) when playing rythym then it will be a db boost when you turn it off.

chuckelator

Reaction score
Xotic EP Boost. Makes everything sound bigger, without really changing your tone...only problem is that its so simple and good at what it was designed for that you might end up wanting to leave it on all the time (like me and many others have found out.)

Zero7x

Reaction score
Check out the MXR Boost Line Driver. From what I've heard and read it doesn't add gain or color the tone - just boosts it. Perfect for that solo boost I guess, I'm looking to get one for myself here soon.

EDIT: Ordered one - On it's way. I'll have details about how it works with my 05' Marshall 1987xl soon

Last edited:

Cold Warrior

Reaction score
I always took the EQ pedal route when I had my JCM800 for a mostly clear gain boost (slight midrange spike to help the notes jump out). I am into pure amp tone. When I want a pedal for tone, I run it clean into the amp.

Fave EQ these days is the MXR 10 band, although there are lots of good choices out there.

Last edited:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
The following may be overkill for your intended purpose but,

My solution is a bit different. I installed Metro Zero Loss Effect loops in a couple of my Marshalls that had no loop to include a 1987. Now with this as I have done with all amps for some 25 yaears I am able to use a vintage or modern Rackmount processor as a Volume control in addition to quality delay's, reverbs, etc...

I set the direct and effected signals to about 65%. Then I clone that setting and set the direct and effected signals to 99%. When I solo for 5 minutes or one freaking note, I am heard for certain and I do not need a sound guy ***ing up my levels on each song.

Also I am able to max out my pre and post volumes, gains or loudness pots and get a huge tone at very quiet volumes.

I agree that the OFA pedal kicks ass! I do not have a video of it with my 1987 but I do have a Boss SD-1 with the processor in the loop of the 1987.

Many ways to skin a cat and I am here to tell you that setting levels on the return of a loop on your output stage will be much more affective than any pedal.

Here is the VERY quiet Plexi. You can hear the pick attack lol:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gQ5ChtlWeU]Marshall 1987X Plexi - YouTube[/ame]

Here is the OFA with a JMP 2203:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYqWXOW75zE]Onfloor Audio OD - YouTube[/ame]

motlycat

Reaction score
Once again thank for all the feedback/help
Shall be out on the hunt next week.....just a quick question about the OFA pedal..what db extra will this give,im happy with the md2 for the grunt(its not maxed out on anything)..i just need that solo push to cut through the other guitar.
P.S nice playing New Religion.:wave:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
never measured the actual db boost myself-it's not really noticeable to me.
BTW, nice avatar.:thumb:

Latest posts