Bugera 1960 Tube Swap

• Thread starter LedHead68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which Tubes...

• EL34Bs

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • KT66s

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • KT88s

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

sccloser

Reaction score
Oh, and I voted other as well. I'd suggest selling one Bugera, put the cash you were gonna spend on the high end tubes towards a good used 1959sl and keep the other Bugera as a backup. then you can compare the two and hear for yourself the difference.

demonufo

Reaction score
I Simply Want To Know If Any Tubes In The KT Family Would Give Me The Marshall Low End Chunck

What makes you think that the transformers in your Bugera are capable of giving you that low end chunk?

And no, your Bugera amps cannot be just as good (with the right tubes) as one overpriced head, as you so put it. A good superlead (preferably something a little older than the re-issues - late 70's JMP's can be picked up pretty cheap) will kick arse over the Bugera unless you start ripping out lots of components. The transformers are one hell of a cost cut in the Bugera's. They are good for the money, but to think that they are just as capable as the Marshall that you want them to sound like is just a dream I'm afraid.

Clara

Reaction score
I picked up a Bugera 1960 Infintium cheap and first I thought it sounded like a horses ass. Power tubes make some difference but the real problem is that the preamp is too harsh. I put a JJ EC82 in V1 and a 12AU7 in V3. Sounds much better. I have more headroom without getting harsh and the breakup is smoother. This amp works better with lower settings on treble presence and mid. I run with Presence Treble Mid at 3 or less, Bass 7 or more. Ch1 @ 5 Ch2 @ 7 and it sounds pretty decent.

Clara

Reaction score
To me the difference between the Bugera and Marshall is that the Marshall sounds sweeter as you turn it up and the Bugera sounds worse cranked.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Necro thread.LOL

Well I think the PPIMV makes it sound like a horses ass...unless it's at volume. I'm getting a cool Sabbath vibe using the Low input, PPIMV maxed and a bit of a frontal nudge with my RE pedal.

Bypassing the master volume opens the phucker up and it sounds all Plexi. At least mine will. Prefer my Marshall but the 1960-I ain't no slouch at vintage Plexi tone.

I think with an OT change it would sound/feel even closer.

RussBert

Reaction score
I picked up a Bugera 1960 Infintium cheap and first I thought it sounded like a horses ass. Power tubes make some difference but the real problem is that the preamp is too harsh. I put a JJ EC82 in V1 and a 12AU7 in V3. Sounds much better. I have more headroom without getting harsh and the breakup is smoother. This amp works better with lower settings on treble presence and mid. I run with Presence Treble Mid at 3 or less, Bass 7 or more. Ch1 @ 5 Ch2 @ 7 and it sounds pretty decent.

Listen to the clips posted by Blix in this thread, and then get get back to us how bad the amp sounds...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ll-be-surprised.1166067/page-19#post-20185468

Latest posts