Building Nordström 5E3 kit - Now with cab and Jensen speaker

• Thread starter BlueX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlueX

Reaction score
Congratulations on your first build, how does it sound?
Thanks!

It works, and it sounds great! I am happy, it’s a really fun little amp. The first guitar to ever play through this amp was a home-built esquire, but more on that build in another thread. There is almost no hum or other noise from the amp, even with single coils (actually more hum from my stock SV20H and DSL20HR). Plugging into my JohnH attenuator and one of my cabs the amp sounds just great when I crank it (loud without attenuator, though).

Before plugging in the guitar, I did switch of the amp after the startup procedure and re-checked continuity to protective earth from chassis, ground bus, and sleeve contact on all input and output jacks. From experience, I have respect for electricity.

I am surprised that I managed this, first time on the first attempt. That’s not what I usually do. This was a fun project, and a good learning experience for me. I learned a lot from robrobinette, Uncle Doug, and other Internet resources, including threads here on this forum on building and trouble shooting. Thanks to everyone who shares knowledge! Now I need to look for an 18W kit.

The amp got a temporary home on top of an abandoned Ibanez combo with a 12” Seventy/80 speaker. It will do until spring when I can build a proper Deluxe style combo, and maybe get another speaker. Now, let’s play!

N-5E3 - 017.jpgN-5E3 - 018.jpgN-5E3 - 019.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks!

It works, and it sounds great! I am happy, it’s a really fun little amp. The first guitar to ever play through this amp was a home-built esquire, but more on that build in another thread. There is almost no hum or other noise from the amp, even with single coils (actually more hum from my stock SV20H and DSL20HR). Plugging into my JohnH attenuator and one of my cabs the amp sounds just great when I crank it (loud without attenuator, though).

Before plugging in the guitar, I did switch of the amp after the startup procedure and re-checked continuity to protective earth from chassis, ground bus, and sleeve contact on all input and output jacks. From experience, I have respect for electricity.

I am surprised that I managed this, first time on the first attempt. That’s not what I usually do. This was a fun project, and a good learning experience for me. I learned a lot from robrobinette, Uncle Doug, and other Internet resources, including threads here on this forum on building and trouble shooting. Thanks to everyone who shares knowledge! Now I need to look for an 18W kit.

The amp got a temporary home on top of an abandoned Ibanez combo with a 12” Seventy/80 speaker. It will do until spring when I can build a proper Deluxe style combo, and maybe get another speaker. Now, let’s play!

View attachment 125836View attachment 125837View attachment 125838
This amp sounds every much as good as any of my Marshalls! I wanted to build a johnh attenuator but i just didnt understand the instructions so i bought a power brake instead. Really though, with one of Rob Robinette's ppimv's (he has several to choose from), solder a couple wires into the amp and no attenuator needed, and the amp sounds just as good! Congrats again on a job well done! :yesway:

BlueX

Reaction score
Finally built a house for my 5E3 amp. Tweed tolex and "TV front" inspired by the Uncle Doug video linked below. Birch ply, glued dovetails as box joints, and baffle and supports for back panels glued in place and secured with glued wooden dowels. Threaded inserts to mount speaker, front and back panels, and handle. Still looking for nice, chromed grill to cover the slots in the upper back panel. I will replace the ugly, plastic handle with a proper leather one, next time I order amp or cab parts.

Chose a Jensen P12Q (8 Ohm) speaker. Liked that one best in demos I watched, but have no 1st hand experience with the other variants. Like it so far, and it has a huge bass besides the other qualities.

I'm glad I have my JohnH attenuator so I can crank this 5E3. Great sound, but loud 12W if not attenuated.

There's also a family picture together with two kit guitars with design from the same era. I think they match quite well.

Cab1.jpgCab2.jpgCab3.jpgCab4.jpgCab5.jpgCab6.jpgCab7.jpgCab8.jpgCab9.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Finally built a house for my 5E3 amp. Tweed tolex and "TV front" inspired by the Uncle Doug video linked below. Birch ply, glued dovetails as box joints, and baffle and supports for back panels glued in place and secured with glued wooden dowels. Threaded inserts to mount speaker, front and back panels, and handle. Still looking for nice, chromed grill to cover the slots in the upper back panel. I will replace the ugly, plastic handle with a proper leather one, next time I order amp or cab parts.

Chose a Jensen P12Q (8 Ohm) speaker. Liked that one best in demos I watched, but have no 1st hand experience with the other variants. Like it so far, and it has a huge bass besides the other qualities.

I'm glad I have my JohnH attenuator so I can crank this 5E3. Great sound, but loud 12W if not attenuated.

There's also a family picture together with two kit guitars with design from the same era. I think they match quite well.

View attachment 133520View attachment 133521View attachment 133522View attachment 133523View attachment 133524View attachment 133525View attachment 133526View attachment 133527View attachment 133528

Looks great! :yesway:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score

View attachment 133520View attachment 133521View attachment 133522View attachment 133523View attachment 133524View attachment 133525View attachment 133526View attachment 133527View attachment 133528

Congratulations!