Can Guys Tell Me Anything About This Jcm 800?

• Thread starter LawfulCitizen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chucke

Reaction score
Yeah it is. :(
Don't buy it!

It's 2016!

That has meaning. It's no longer, 1980.
Why would you want to live in the past, in this situation?

Come on guys! Admit to yourself that these amps are simply not varied enough for use today.
Are you REALLY playing football stadiums without PA's?

Fender pickups are still made for this amps LOW input section.
But that is just 1 companies product.
50% of gibsons pickups are made for this amps low and high inputs. The other 50% are made for the newer marshall amps from the DSL onward.

You only get a clean or distorted sound and a louder sound version. That's all you'll be buying. It's no joke!
You'll need an amp with effects built in. You'll need a solo channel. You'll need added tones. Links to Internet/computer etc...

You'll need a guitar with advanced pickup designs, just to get more than 1 sound for your playing.

If you're buying fender product to use in the Marshall, you're much better off to buy the fender amp.
Don't be a fool and buy an old amp and think its a great new product.

The price of all the old gear which works in these amps is all at massive prices and will only go much higher each year.

Stop smoking crack Dren.

LawfulCitizen

Reaction score
looks More like a 8412 to me. the one made for the 8100 valvesta te head
j

Got it! It is the 8412 cab, which I don't really care about since it is in fact a 2204 JCM. I'll post more later when I clean it up and get a chance to play it.

noiKLW8h.jpg

Blueslicks

Reaction score
Got it! It is the 8412 cab, which I don't really care about since it is in fact a 2204 JCM. I'll post more later when I clean it up and get a chance to play it.

Killer deal for an awesome amp man. Good for you. So it isn't a 1965 cab? It's still a killer deal all around regardless as I'm sure you'd agree. Well that explains those speaker shadows on the grill cloth looking to be 12" instead of 10". Either way, if you don't want the cab and choose to move it on, I bet you get an easy $100 bill for it despite it being MDF. Offset that killer deal you made even more to achieve a status of undeniably epic score.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Good for you!!!! Sometimes I wonder, at least about current "steals" like these. Is the person a half-wit? Is it stolen? Is the guy a crack head? Is the guy just really hard up for cash and willing to take almost anything?

I know that I don't want any Po Po to come around knocking on my door for a stolen amp, cause I'll be playing "Don't Come Around Here No More" and tell them whatever they're looking for, not to darken my door lol.

Easton55

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely the scary part of wondering why a deal might be so good nowadays. But, all you can do is research the best you can, and use your best judgement when checking something out. Even at a good price, if something seems fishy, walking away is still an option. Better safe than sorry. Nice pickup on this one though, good job!

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent man. Thats a score! I guess he didnt find the forum...Put a tube screamer or sd1 in front of it and put the pets in the other room.. Thats a killer amp no matter what whats-his- name says. And if you dont like it sell it for a nice profit..cant lose.

BowerR64

Reaction score
I was about to post the cab look slike a 8412 4X12 that comes with valvestate heads. Just slightly smaller then a 1960 still for $400. you could sell the 4X12 and get $100-$150. back at the minimum. making the head an even better deal.

LawfulCitizen

Reaction score
Good for you!!!! Sometimes I wonder, at least about current "steals" like these. Is the person a half-wit? Is it stolen? Is the guy a crack head? Is the guy just really hard up for cash and willing to take almost anything?

I know that I don't want any Po Po to come around knocking on my door for a stolen amp, cause I'll be playing "Don't Come Around Here No More" and tell them whatever they're looking for, not to darken my door lol.

Yeah, I was nervous the whole time that something sketchy was going on. But apparently he got the amp from a friend of his dad's, who was the original owner, and then it's just been sitting at this guy's house for a couple years and he doesn't really play guitar.

I was definitely feeling out the situation the whole time we were corresponding and no red flags were going off. He was a super nice guy, I think he just wanted the amp out of his house and apparently didn't want to do any research to figure out what he actually had.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Yeah, I was nervous the whole time that something sketchy was going on. But apparently he got the amp from a friend of his dad's, who was the original owner, and then it's just been sitting at this guy's house for a couple years and he doesn't really play guitar.

I was definitely feeling out the situation the whole time we were corresponding and no red flags were going off. He was a super nice guy, I think he just wanted the amp out of his house and apparently didn't want to do any research to figure out what he actually had.

That's really great to hear. ;) At my age I don't hear of too many of those kinds of deals happening anymore (unfortunately). Back in the day it was still vintage amps that one could chance upon for those kinds of prices. Now you have professional shoppers that hit every garage and estate sales as well as the pawn shops. Larry Briggs, one of the three originators of the Texas Guitar Shows had guys that worked for him that solely sourced vintage equipment and great deals like yours.

LawfulCitizen

Reaction score
So..hows it sound?
Haha. It sounds great. I didn't have the space to crank it today, but low volume cleans and with a fuzz pedal it sounds great. Some minor weirdness in the volume pots, but it doesn't seem to have any major issues. I'll spend more time with it tomorrow.

stilllifer

Reaction score
Haha. It sounds great. I didn't have the space to crank it today, but low volume cleans and with a fuzz pedal it sounds great. Some minor weirdness in the volume pots, but it doesn't seem to have any major issues. I'll spend more time with it tomorrow.

You paid $400 for a vertical input, likely '82 or '83 2204??? That is absolutely insane...who cares if you don't like the cab and toss it in the garbage. $400 for that head is a crazy deal - congrats man!!! That head alone would be around $1,400 here in the Toronto area... :applause::bowdown:

80sTone

Reaction score
Great score! I got mine for only 600 and thought it was a steal - that is an incredible find.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Seems like a crime to run a beast like that through a valvestate cab. I bet the mighty 2204 would probably sound good through anything.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id open up that cab. You never know whats in there. If the previous owner had enough knowlege to run a 2204 that cab may just be loaded with something other than stock speakers.

I have 2 stock avt cabs that i run my 800 2204s, both an 82 and a clone through and as a full stack sound incredible, and seem to tame some of the highs the 800s have. I also have a 1960a and a 800 1936 and the 2 avt cabs do the job just as well as either of them imo.

Last edited: