• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Celestion Creamback Vs Greenback - Round 1 W/marshall 2204

sectado

Reaction score
Hey! I wanted to do this little speaker test a comparison between Celestion Creamback G12M-65 vs Celestion Greenback G12M-25 with a Marshall Jcm 800 2204 using a Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 with Seymour Duncan Microphones Antiquity Humbuckers

It's Round 1, later I'll make one with more production and full band!

which one do you like the most?

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Very interesting. I anticipated in advance preferring the GB's but came away preferring the clarity/articulation of the CB's.
Whodathunkit?

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have 2 amps
Marshall Origin 20c with a 1*12 Cab with Creamback, Love it
Vox AC15 Head with 2*12 Greenback, Perfect

Also of course i have tested my Marshall with Greenback and Vox with Creamback, but Meh....

But thats just me

Last edited:

Neil S

Reaction score
Once I saw each speaker was written on the screen I closed my eyes and only opened them when I thought I heard the greenback, I saw the cream back a couple of times because I liked what I heard. watching the whole thing through again I realised I like the upper frequencies of the cream back. checked the Celestion site expecting to see a hump in the cream back chart in the high end and saw the greenback was actually a little stronger there? The cream back has a little dip just before this and is not as smooth on the chart in that area so maybe this tricked me into thinking it was stronger up there.
I think they would be great mixed as a stereo pair but would have a tough time choosing just one. Green back was 98dB
Cream back was 97dB should mix well in the same cab. Have you ever tried this?
Great sounding amp and playing by the way!

dslman

Reaction score
It's a tossup for me, I have a GB 4x12 , but I'm sure a CB cab would be just as nice.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
GBs for a 2203/4. Or g12-65s(not g12M-65). Cream-backs g12M-65 for jcm900 and dsl.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I hear no difference, I think those of you that do are fooling yourself. If there is any difference its a total hair splitting experience. I prefer G12T75 over greenback with my 2204.

Bruno60

Reaction score
I hear no difference, I think those of you that do are fooling yourself. If there is any difference its a total hair splitting experience. I prefer G12T75 over greenback with my 2204.
I think you play too loud, pay attention to your ears ... a blind person would hear the difference! Lol! ;):)

sectado

Reaction score
Greenies all the way !

Thanks!! @Bruno60

Very interesting. I anticipated in advance preferring the GB's but came away preferring the clarity/articulation of the CB's.
Whodathunkit?

:D:D thanks!! @BanditPanda

I only have 2 amps
Marshall Origin 20c with a 1*12 Cab with Creamback, Love it
Vox AC15 Head with 2*12 Greenback, Perfect

Also of course i have tested my Marshall with Greenback and Vox with Creamback, but Meh....

But thats just me

Yes!! Both are great!! thanks! @tce63

On its own, I like the Creamback better, because it sounds more balanced, but I also think the Greenback would sound better than the Creamback in a mix, and it would probably record better, as well.

You are absolutly right! @Seventh Son
In the mix, the gbs stands out much more than the creamback I think it is because of the eq but the creamback has a better dynamic

Once I saw each speaker was written on the screen I closed my eyes and only opened them when I thought I heard the greenback, I saw the cream back a couple of times because I liked what I heard. watching the whole thing through again I realised I like the upper frequencies of the cream back. checked the Celestion site expecting to see a hump in the cream back chart in the high end and saw the greenback was actually a little stronger there? The cream back has a little dip just before this and is not as smooth on the chart in that area so maybe this tricked me into thinking it was stronger up there.
I think they would be great mixed as a stereo pair but would have a tough time choosing just one. Green back was 98dB
Cream back was 97dB should mix well in the same cab. Have you ever tried this?
Great sounding amp and playing by the way!

Yes! The greenback is sharper than the creamblack as the celestion specifications say!
I have both speakers in my Marshall 1936 and the two get along very well. The greenback speaker stands out but when i adding the creamback they put together a good attacking duo
Thanks for your words!! @Neil Skene

It's a tossup for me, I have a GB 4x12 , but I'm sure a CB cab would be just as nice.

Of course! Thanks!! @dslman

GBs for a 2203/4. Or g12-65s(not g12M-65). Cream-backs g12M-65 for jcm900 and dsl.

Gbs also for plexis! thanks!! @Trapland

There are differences. They are minimal but there are!
Thanks!! @pedecamp

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score

Come on now, some people may not know you’re kidding. Although g12t75s are a good match for the 2204/4010.

SGFA

Reaction score
Difficult choice here, both sound great, and also how they wotk in the mix is a very important point, as you say! ...and great playing as well! :yesway:

Thanks for posting

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I agree. To me the difference in this test is so subtle you really can’t notice it. Based on this to me it would come down to how much power handling do you need? I have the Creamback in my DSL and at 40 watts it’s too loud for the Greenback.

I don’t know if your kidding or not about the T75 but I just rebuilt a 1x12 cab to go with my DSL and put the T75 in there. I love the tone of the two speakers running together. Both being 97dB is a nice bonus

Last edited:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I preferred the greenback and I thought it would be the other way round. Sounded great btw.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I agree. To me the difference in this test is so subtle you really can’t notice it. Based on this to me it would come down to how much power handling do you need? I have the Creamback in my DSL and at 40 watts it’s too loud for the Greenback.

I don’t know if your kidding or not about the T75 but I just rebuilt a 1x12 cab to go with my DSL and put the T75 in there. I love the tone of the two speakers running together. Both being 97dB is a nice bonus

Someone else thats not crazy LOL, its hair splitting they sound so much the same like 99.99% LOL. 75 is my favorite speaker with my 2204, no kidding.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both were real similar. I have and use Heritage G12M's in my 5153 412 and they kick arse. I've never had the CB's in a cab so I can't opine.

Going by this vid they both lacked bite which mine don't so recording devices do color our clips.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Both were real similar. I have and use Heritage G12M's in my 5153 412 and they kick arse. I've never had the CB's in a cab so I can't opine.

Going by this vid they both lacked bite which mine don't so recording devices do color our clips.

That's what I should have said, sound similar not the same, its hair splitting LOL. Get whichever wattage you require that's the only real factor!