Ceriatone Chupacabra 50 watt vs VHT/Deliverance D60H Van halen tone

• Thread starter pittbull
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pittbull

Reaction score
Which one of these two amps in your opinions would achieve the early Van halen(VH1) sound the best.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I would probably say the Chupacabra, since its pretty much modelled after a Jose-modded Plexi. :)

But if you can cough up the cash, the perfect amp would be the Metropolus 12000. :D

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
But I say wait for someone like Zachman to answer. He can probably suggest better amps. From what I've heard, he can nail the brown sound better then Van Halen. :lol:

pittbull

Reaction score
I didnt like the metro amp it didnt have enough gain/edge.

JTyson

Reaction score
Any JMP/800/Plexi chassis with Marks (Rockstah) mods... done
Van Halen tone by the ton :naughty:
IMO the chupa is more gain and saturated than the early VH tones, the VHT I know nothing about

pittbull

Reaction score
Chupacabra gain is perfect for the Van halen 1 sound(first album) from the clips ive heard.

zachman

Reaction score
I prefer the VH2 tone, but the Cameron Atomica does that sound in spades.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_JVL91V3OE&feature=related"]Cameron Atomica 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

pittbull

Reaction score
I had the chance to compare the Chupacabra to the Deliverance and I like the deliverance alot better,the deliverance was more aggressive and had great clarity,very brown sounding(VH).I like the Deliverance over the Cameron also,the deliverance again was more VH sounding then the cameron.

zachman

Reaction score
I had the chance to compare the Chupacabra to the Deliverance and I like the deliverance alot better,the deliverance was more aggressive and had great clarity,very brown sounding(VH).I like the Deliverance over the Cameron also,the deliverance again was more VH sounding then the cameron.

I had a Deliverance too, and trust me, it doesn't do the VH thing better than the Cameron-- the Deliverance is now gone. My one buddy who does have a Deliverance still, heard the Cameron last week, and specifically was commenting on how he wished it did the VH thing like the Atomica, because when A/B'd-- it did not, and he tried and tried, but the Cameron crushed it. ymmv

Either way, different strokes. The Deliverance is a nice amp.

pittbull

Reaction score
The Deliverance was more aggressive and more in your face then the cameron,the deliverance had a much faster attack then the cameron, the cameron was more laid back.If you listen to VH1(first album)its not laid back.Anyway to each is own.

zachman

Reaction score
The Deliverance was more aggressive and more in your face then the cameron,the deliverance had a much faster attack then the cameron, the cameron was more laid back.If you listen to VH1(first album)its not laid back.Anyway to each is own.

I hear you. For me, the proof was in the pudding, and the Cameron does it, while the Deliverance didn't. Haven't heard anyone w/ a Deliverance get that sound. I was leaning more toward a VH2 tone in my demo, but can tell you it'll do a VH1 tone too.

I love that there are so many choices for players, to find what they're after. Bottom line-- if it does it for you, then that is fantastic! :dude:

I'd love to hear some clips of it doing what you claim.

pittbull

Reaction score
There alot of players using marshall plexi's stock and modded that cant achieve the VH tone.

zachman

Reaction score
There alot of players using marshall plexi's stock and modded that cant achieve the VH tone.

Yup, I was one of them. There are three camps, as I see it-- Those who think/claim they do, and clearly don't, and those who aren't fooling themselves and don't, and those who can/do.

Last edited:

badtoneno

Reaction score
Zach you nailed it well with the Atomica. I just got a Chupa and it pulls it off well also. I agree the VHT is too tight for me. I had a VH4 and ch3 was close but still too tight. Einstein was better. The brown thing has been done to death but there is a bit of looseness in the low end of that tone. Nice playing too.

zachman

Reaction score
Zach you nailed it well with the Atomica. I just got a Chupa and it pulls it off well also. I agree the VHT is too tight for me. I had a VH4 and ch3 was close but still too tight. Einstein was better. The brown thing has been done to death but there is a bit of looseness in the low end of that tone. Nice playing too.

Thanks for the kind words. :cheers:

I also have a Metro 12xxx w/ a cascaded gain stage, and lower filtering ala MOD5, w/ a PPIMV, and a couple of Cameron modded Marshalls-- but I do prefer the Cameron Atomica.

Lame playing here w/ the Metro, but I was recovering from surgery, and the recording is just off the video camera, so the quality of the recording isn't as good as the Atomica video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFXziY34Zu8&list=FL09LHwVJGOmYixy9Pyt4xXw&index=87&feature=plpp_video]3-17-2011 Zach Jamming Through His Big Rig Pt1 - YouTube[/ame]

Sir Crunch A Lot

Reaction score
I have had a VHT/Fryette D60 and D120 and just couldn't get along with them. Just no sag and feel to stiff IMO. It was like fighting with it to play it. I didn't find it VH to my ears. I never could get a balance of a sound I like and the feel of the amp.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Thats the things about Fryette/VHT's. They're very dynamic amps, but they're extremely tight and dry. They're really good for high gain and some rock/hard rock stuff. VH stuff sounds best with Plexi-based amps. :)

pittbull

Reaction score
I dont know about that,ive owned some late 60s plexi's and some early 70s superleads stock and modded and none had THAT sound.The VHT/Fryette deliverance achieves that sound for me.Im talking about the VH1 sound which is the first van halen record it is very crunchy/edgy and bright very upfront with alot of cut(hard sounding).I dont here any sag when I listen to VH1.The rest of the VH records are less aggressive with some sag.VH1 is the most aggressive then any of the VH recordings.I just use my ears and trying different amps to achieve that sound.I dont believe that it has to be a plexi to achieve that sound,the VHT Deliverance achieves that sound.