• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Ceriatone JCM 800 2203 Clone?

• Thread starter Drewby
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdamR

Reaction score
Never played one but Im looking at the Ceriatone Chupacabra

JK1965

Reaction score
I just joined this forum so this is my first post.

I have the Ceriatone Yeti 100 which is the Chupacabra with some slight tweaks. It is a killer amp!! It'll do JCM 800 no problem and delves into higher gain territories.

The real gem of this amp IMO though is the 60's or Plexi mode. Crystal clear fat cleans. Very loud cleans at that! Crank it a little and and it nails AC/DC sounds all day. Really crank it and tones like early Priest are all over the place.

I haven't even scratched the surface with what this thing will do but it is impressive. It will even do some serious blues where you can roll back the guitars volume and get that killer twangy strat sound that sounds and feels like one of the good Fender amps, then jack it up and the thing just sings with sweet sustain.

I would highly reccomend Ceriatone. My experience was everything you've read on the web. Nik was and is great to deal with. I would and will be buying more amps from him. You can't go wrong with his 2203 or The Chupa/Yeti or any of them really.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Never played one but Im looking at the Ceriatone Chupacabra
I was too. I was told they weren't made well thoguh by a reliable scource on here. One i would connsider as reliable as an internet scource can be anyway.

something about this design being thrown together and missing some key values of components but, i don't remember exactly what and of course....i don't know this to be true. It's heresay.

JK1965

Reaction score
I was too. I was told they weren't made well thoguh by a reliable scource on here. One i would connsider as reliable as an internet scource can be anyway.

something about this design being thrown together and missing some key values of components but, i don't remember exactly what and of course....i don't know this to be true. It's heresay.

I have the Yeti 100 which is the next step in evolution for the Chupacabra. It is a great amp!! I have yet to even scratch the surface with all it can do. It'll do JCM 800 2203 no problem and has tons more gain on tap. The 60's or Plexi mode is where this thing really shines. The cleans are crystal clear and huge. Cranked a little it's AC/DC all day. Really crank it and it's early Priest straight through the amp.

I had an 83 2203 and this amp does all that and lots more. I highly reccomend their amps and will be buying more. Dealing with Nik was everything you've ever read about. It was a great experience from start to finish and we still talk via e-mail.

JK1965

Reaction score
I have tried to reply to this thread 3 times now and I haven't been able to do so. Each time it has said that it has to be approved by a moderator. I've been able to post on other threads no problem. Not sure what is up.

I own a Ceriatone and can provide some input here. I have the Yeti 100 which is the tweaked Chupacabra. It's a great amp!!

FourT6and2

Reaction score
I just built one a few months ago from one of their kits. Sounds like a 2203. Because it is.

FourT6and2

Reaction score

Whoever told you that is sorely misguided. It is built very well, using quality components. And it's probably built better than anything Marshall put out. Would you like a photo?

chupacabra_gut_shot_1_by_haftelm-d3b0a1y.jpg

It's built well. Every bit as well as my Diezel and my Metro. And it's much better than past amps I've owned, such as Mesa, Framus and Bad Cat.

JK1965

Reaction score
I apologize for the multiple posts. I tried to post a few times when I first joined and it wouldn't let me. Now they all popped up!

But yeah as the above picture shows, this is one very well put togther amp. For some reason there is a thing against Ceriatone out there. The fact is, they are great amps.

FourT6and2

Reaction score
For some reason there is a thing against Ceriatone out there.

I think it's because they're in Malaysia. People equate that with crappy parts and crappy construction. But the fact is, they're built better than many of their Western counterparts.

Hollowbody

Reaction score

Yeah it's just "heresay", that's all.

...but you don't remember exactly.

79 2203

Reaction score
I've got a Ceriatone 2203 that I've had for 6 or 7 years and it is a fantastic amp that has never missed a beat.

Hangs with my 79, 80, and 82 2203's no problem and is a great choice for those wanting an affordable new amp that will get super close to the vintage JMP/JCM 2203/4 tone.