• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Chance to buy this cab

• Thread starter Brad darrington
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Yes I am totally on my own with that everyone totally disagrees with me I am an idiot, old speakers are dreadful.
Now everyone send me their best Pulsonic coned speakers and I will send you some new Celestion Rockets.

Seriously though you are right. It is all opinions. I have mine based on my experience and my ears and you have yours. Wonder what others here think within their experience (not TGP votes:applause:)
I think the fact that I'm keeping three of my old Marshall cabs with pre-rolas, and four of my own cabs after I move pretty much makes the case for old nasty Pre Rolas suck. I'm with neikeel...if you're unhappy with your working pre rola G12M's and G12H30's, I will happily trade you some of the Creambacks, G12M RI's and so forth I have here in my stash. I'll even pay shipping both ways!

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
This is not a fact, its an opinion, which I completely disagree with.

:agreed:

You can’t imagine how much time and money I’ve spent to prove to myself that modern speakers, ANY modern speakers can sound as good as original pulsonic coned celestions. They can’t. For me a few thousand $ for a couple quads of 55hz pulsonic cones is good value. They are the most important part of my signal chain.

Dmann

Reaction score
my signal chain.

One man's trash is anothers gold.

Thats great you found what YOU were looking for.

Maybe, just maybe, open that mind for a split second and consider that there are millions of people successfully using modern speakers day in and day out getting the tone THEY were looking for.

That's all i'm saying. I get it. I like what I like too, but that hardly equates to forcing everyone to agree.

Reaction score
So- 2 pairs; each pair wired in series, then the two pair paralleled together. 8 ohm load.
So I’ll give them a listen again before I buy. Rock on!

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
When you wire two 16 ohm speakers in series, that's 32 ohms. If you connect two pairs like this in parallel to the jack, impedance is cut in half to make a 16 ohm load.

obx351

Reaction score
If you decided to run your SB100 through this cab, I strongly suggest you put an attenuator between the two to keep from popping a/some or all of your speakers. Yes I've heard people running 100 watt leads through 100 watt cabs but I've never thought that was a good idea. Just my $0.02.

Wildeman

Reaction score
If you decided to run your SB100 through this cab, I strongly suggest you put an attenuator between the two to keep from popping a/some or all of your speakers. Yes I've heard people running 100 watt leads through 100 watt cabs but I've never thought that was a good idea. Just my $0.02.
Yes, i wouldn't run that monster straight into that cab at all myself. You know what (to the OP) that cab would go perfect with a JTM 45, better get one of those too:cool:

What?

Reaction score
Same discussion with tubes. They did it better in the 60s and 70s than now

Tubes I can understand. I think it was probably down to chemicals used in coatings and current day restrictions on those chemicals. But for speakers, I don't understand it. Celestion, Jensen, JBL, and so on. Speakers made today sound too far away from speakers made back then, and it seems to just be down to paper makeup. Alot of people write up the differences in vintage Celestions compared to current Celestions as being a lost paper recipe. But that likely doesn't hold up for every major guitar speaker brand. And it isn't likely that the people working for current day guitar speaker manufacturers all have tin ears. Something happened along the way that changed how guitar speakers are being made in general and for the worse. If there were current speaker models that sounded very bit as good as the old Celestions, Jensens, JBL's, Fane's, CTS's, etc., they would sell like mad. But there isn't, and why is that? Maybe it was old growth wood used in making the pulps back then? I can't really think of any other reason for such a broad change.

Last edited:

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score

I will never buy a quad of 25 watt speakers from anyone that used 1 cab with a 100 watt amp. Marshalls own operators guide states a 100 watt amp can put out 170 watts.

MW110

Reaction score
Go for it and don’t worry about playing it to the limits with you 100w SB. You will not blow it. Look at this video to see what I mean!

uselessoldman

Reaction score
Vintage 30s are a perfect example of the difference between old and new, or UK and Chinese made speakers. The Uk version is more like the Chinese G12T-75s the new version is brighter less bottom end more top. But then a UK version in a MDF cab can sound similar to the UK version in ply.

I would NEVER run a 100 watt valve head into anything less than 200 watt rated cab, no breathing room and since those speakers are potentially worth a small fortune, u need to treat them with kid gloves and respect. You MUST run a good attenuator .. better still a smaller amp

I never get into discussions about the price of gear, a good cab and speaker might be to a specific persons taste but not another. Depends on your own personal specific taste, your guitars (pickups) your amps effects even the room (acoustics) you regularly play in. I run G12t-75s with G12H-100s on one side and Vintage 30s with seventy80s on the other all stereo cos then I only have to change the cables or outputs to mix and match. But I also have cabs with G12m M90s and those 128s etc. I woudl also argue with IR and a decent power amp and good PA speakers you get some good tones, BUT they are not like the originals........ only close even through good studio monitors NOTHING beats the originals in good working order

StingRay85

Reaction score
Go for it and don’t worry about playing it to the limits with you 100w SB. You will not blow it. Look at this video to see what I mean!

That's some horrible advice right there. Johan didn't blew it up because he was not doing power chords or bassy stuff. Doubling the amount is surely the best way to go, especially with vintage speakers.

AndyD

Reaction score
If you have an old Marshall, then it makes sense to use pre rolas. They just sound “right”. As for power matching, we are much more conscious of it these days. My avatar shows my 50w Lead and Bass amp on top of a 2x12 pre rola 2045 cab. I baby this combo with the use of Marshall power break. Back in the day, they wouldn’t have worried about it!

Reaction score
456DBBDF-DD71-490D-B826-B1EF5BDA1964.jpeg i hear you guys! Caution is called for. I am in a 10’ by 25 room most of the time and use my ‘79 A cab and a Boss TAE. Otherwise much too loud! Even with volume at 2.5 and using my pedalboard
(such nice clean tone) it’s too frigging loud without it. So...all your thoughts are appreciated, truly.
MY 20 w head is too loud past 4 as well.