ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components *Sponsor*

• Thread starter Alex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dinkyguitar

Reaction score
Hi,

Is replacing a OT, PT and adding a choke difficult? I've soldered, built small circuits, wired guitars...etc. Never done anything with amps but can follow schematics...Specifically a DSL 50....with the exception of the choke, are the OT & PT drop ins?

Also, how will the sound differ in you opinion?

dinkyguitar

ClassicTone

Reaction score
Hi,

Is replacing a OT, PT and adding a choke difficult? I've soldered, built small circuits, wired guitars...etc. Never done anything with amps but can follow schematics...Specifically a DSL 50....with the exception of the choke, are the OT & PT drop ins?

Also, how will the sound differ in you opinion?

dinkyguitar

If you have no experience at it, it can be tricky so I would highly advise you have a professional install them for you. Also, there can be lethal voltages involved. I'm sure a local music store service department can install them for you for relatively cheap.

Also, the choke is an upgrade, add-on but the OT and PT are drop in replacements.

Furthermore, they really should provide a significant tonal difference. They should provide a more powerful response and defined tone. They will be a little more like a 50W Marshall amp from the 1960's Plexi era.

Thanks,

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components, Inc.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) I used Classic's Output Trans and Choke in my AC30. It is a tone MONSTER.

Great Transformers, and you can't beat the price.

:):) TWIN

carrots

Reaction score
I remember reading something about VHR using Magnetics Tranny's in there amps and kits. Can that be confirmed?

carrots

carrots

Reaction score
VHR is Hi Tone which was part of the original Hiwatt..
Now made and offered in the USA.

VHR is: Vintage Hi Watt Restorations

JMP2204ROCKER

Reaction score
Nice to have another place to go to in the search for an alternative for transformer replacement ... I will definetely check you guys out :dude:

ClassicTone

Reaction score
Nice to have another place to go to in the search for an alternative for transformer replacement ... I will definetely check you guys out :dude:

That would be great if you try our our ClassicTone transformers! :)

I think you will like them. :fingersx:

ClassicTone

Reaction score

arcwelder23

Reaction score
Hi, I used your Classictone transformers in a 5E3 build I completed recently, and am amazed with the sound. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the kind of money that Mercury asks for their transformers, and I'd heard some good things about Magnetics Components Inc, so I tried them, am glad I did. So interesting to me to know that you guys also made the transformers in my 1964 Valco-made National combo as well- that amp is almost 50 years old! pretty funny... and interesting to know that you've been in this business for a little while now, ha...

I've been interested in upgrades for my newer-version Vox AC15 Handwired amp- was thinking my only option was Mercury and like I said, I agree that it's just not right to charge that much money for something that I think could be made and sold at the same quality for a fraction of the price. Then today I looked at your site and saw you're making AC15 transformers now! These amps are well made in my opinion, I put a Made in England Alnico speaker in there and it does sound great, but as I understand it, they do use the cheapest Chinese transformers they can get, so I'm hoping that maybe some quality USA made iron might make a difference. I would like to ask though, is this a drop in replacement? I don't mind soldering but I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling new holes. Would the screw holes line up? it's the AC15HW1 or AC15HW1x that came out about a year ago.

Another question I have for anyone who would like to chime in, I've heard it said that with transformers, for the best sound you should use the highest ohm tap on the transformer and then match the speakers to that. I've heard other more than qualified people say that's absurd... Can anyone say, is there a tone difference between running 2 different speakers of the same model whose only difference is being an 8 ohm and 16 ohm, if your amp has both 8 and 16 ohm taps?

Thank you!

rads

Reaction score
Here's my JCM800 clone using classictone transformers
31072010002.jpg

31072010003.jpg

good product indeed.

And one question, in your website, there will be a replacement transformer for 100 watt JCM2000/DSL coming soon.

Will it be a better transformer from JCM2000/DSL's original transformer? My friend has DSL 100 which has a very hot power transformer, and start getting annoyed by its heat.

Thanks

ClassicTone

Reaction score
Here's my JCM800 clone using classictone transformers
31072010002.jpg

31072010003.jpg

good product indeed.

And one question, in your website, there will be a replacement transformer for 100 watt JCM2000/DSL coming soon.

Will it be a better transformer from JCM2000/DSL's original transformer? My friend has DSL 100 which has a very hot power transformer, and start getting annoyed by its heat.

Thanks

The JCM2000 100W PT will be available sometime in January or February 2012. It should be a little bit of an upgrade to the originals but I don't know all of the details yet of what my engineers have in mind for this upgrade. I do know that it will be paper layer wound like the 100W Marshall Plexi PTs and have extra long, Top Coat appliance wires for ease of installation. Ours will also have the best available M-6 steel in them.

Thanks for your interest in our ClassicTone transformers! :headbanger:

ClassicTone

Reaction score
Hi, I used your Classictone transformers in a 5E3 build I completed recently, and am amazed with the sound. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the kind of money that Mercury asks for their transformers, and I'd heard some good things about Magnetics Components Inc, so I tried them, am glad I did. So interesting to me to know that you guys also made the transformers in my 1964 Valco-made National combo as well- that amp is almost 50 years old! pretty funny... and interesting to know that you've been in this business for a little while now, ha...

I've been interested in upgrades for my newer-version Vox AC15 Handwired amp- was thinking my only option was Mercury and like I said, I agree that it's just not right to charge that much money for something that I think could be made and sold at the same quality for a fraction of the price. Then today I looked at your site and saw you're making AC15 transformers now! These amps are well made in my opinion, I put a Made in England Alnico speaker in there and it does sound great, but as I understand it, they do use the cheapest Chinese transformers they can get, so I'm hoping that maybe some quality USA made iron might make a difference. I would like to ask though, is this a drop in replacement? I don't mind soldering but I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling new holes. Would the screw holes line up? it's the AC15HW1 or AC15HW1x that came out about a year ago.

Another question I have for anyone who would like to chime in, I've heard it said that with transformers, for the best sound you should use the highest ohm tap on the transformer and then match the speakers to that. I've heard other more than qualified people say that's absurd... Can anyone say, is there a tone difference between running 2 different speakers of the same model whose only difference is being an 8 ohm and 16 ohm, if your amp has both 8 and 16 ohm taps?

Thank you!

I think our Vox AC15 OT should work okay. We do have specifications so you can verify the mountings for this as follows:

http://www.classictone.net/40-18081.pdf

Our Vox AC15 OT can be mounted both upright and laydown since you can remove the screws and end bell covers.

Also, if it is a laydown style OT, following are the chassis hole dimnsions you will need to mount it:

http://www.classictone.net/OOA-85411_Chassis_Cutout-100-Leads_Only.pdf

Following is some general information on our Vox AC15 OT:

http://www.classictone.net/40-18081.html

Unfortunately, I doubt our AC15 PT will work in modern VOX AC15 amps since they usually have added windings and requirements for modern features but it may work for you. Following are the webpages with info on our PT and choke for the AC15:

http://www.classictone.net/40-18079.html

http://www.classictone.net/40-18082.html

Thanks! :dude:

www.classictone.net

Doug_MN

Reaction score
New JCM900 4100 100watt DR owner here. For any JCM900 owners who have upgraded to the MC products can you recommend what I should replace/upgrade?

Thanks!

Doug