ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components *Sponsor*

• Thread starter Alex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicTone

Reaction score
New JCM900 4100 100watt DR owner here. For any JCM900 owners who have upgraded to the MC products can you recommend what I should replace/upgrade?

Thanks!

Doug

You can replace/upgrade the transformers in your JCM900 100W DR using the following ClassicTone transformers:

Marshall Style 100W JCM900 & JCM2000 Output Transformer, 4/8/16 Ohms, C3070

Marshall 100W JCM900 Style Power Transformer, T5826

Marshall 3 Hy Plexi Style Choke
Note: the choke is an added upgrade item. You can replace the R37 100 Ohm 4W resistor with our 40-18058 for great results.

I hope you like them! :applause:

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, inc.

jwebb1970

Reaction score
I have had a few of you ask for Marshall Class 5 upgrade / replacement transformers. I spoke with my engineer in great length on this subject the other day. Since the Class 5 amp is a 5W single ended style amp, he believes our ClassicTone # 40-18031 OT would be a great upgrade, since it is a beefier and larger single ended output transformer. It can actually support up to about 15W and support various tube types.

We believe it is a great upgrade for the Marshall Class 5 amps as well as other 5W or so single ended amps currnetly on the market such as the Fender Champ, Epiphone Valve Jr., etc. It will probably require the drilling of at least 1 additional hole in your chassis to accommodate this unit since it is a bit larger. Please the following link for more info on this:

40-18031

This will hopefully provide you Class 5 fans with a nice upgrade in the performance of this amp without the need for other costly additional mods!

Thanks!

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
www.classictone.net

Have any customers gone with this model for a Class 5 since posting this? Curious to hear feedback.

And is there a choke you might suggest for a Class 5?

James442

Reaction score
Just installed both power and output trannies and added a choke to my TSL 122 combo. Great quality products! Best I can describe the results is KILLER! Tone is pretty much the same but it has more sustain at considerably less volume. And the thing will not let up! The more you crank it the louder it gets...it's RELENTLESS! I'm seasoned musician and an experienced automotive electronics tech but pretty new to amp repair so I had to ask a couple questions, and the folks at Classictone did not hesitate to help! Thanks! LET'S ROCK! :headbanger:

ClassicTone

Reaction score

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do not already know, we at ClassicTone now offer the PT, OT and a optional choke upgrade for the JCM2000 100W DSL/TSL amplifiers.

Following are links to the web pages with information on where to purchase, specs, pricing, etc.:

Marshall 100W JCM2000 DSL/TSL Style Power Transformer Upgrade

Marshall Style 100W JCM900 & JCM2000 Output Transformer, 4/8/16 Ohms, C3070

Marshall 3 Hy Plexi Style Choke

Enjoy! :applause:

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components, Inc.

I am so stoked that you guys lowered that high B+ voltage down a bit on your DSL/TSL upgrade power transformers. That should help out that issue of these amps being so hard on new production power valves, as well as knock down the high voltage these amps see on V3 cathode follower stage. Should help allow the use of many more new production 12AX7's to run safer in V3 I would think.

:cheers:

sgguy

Reaction score
I have a Vox AC15 OT coming for my tweaker (which is apparently the exact same as the stock one. Can't wait to have sound again! Will post pics.

James442

Reaction score
Finally got to REALLY crank up the TSL122 yesterday for first time (after selected mods to the main board, replacing both input and output trannies and adding a choke, all Classictone). It is a freakin' BEAST! Finally the tone I've been looking for! My buddy stopped playing, just listened and walked around examining the thing like it was an alien or something. I had also told him earlier that day that I would like to try it through his 4x12 Marshall cab, so it was setting on top of the cab. He said man that thing rocks through that cab....he didn't believe me when I told him I'd never plugged it in. (i never did either....waste of time!) thank you, thank, thank you Classictone! I'm a believer!

griz

Reaction score
I just finished my Triode Electronics 18 watt TMB kit and I am VERY pleased with my Classic Tone transformers. They nail the vintage tone of the original 1974x IMO.

I had a Ceriatone kit with their transformers in an older 18 watt build and I always thought the transformers were the weak link in that amp. Not so with this build. :headbanger:

Phildog

Reaction score
Please pardon my ignorance, but I was curious to know if your 40-18025 could be used in a 2X6L6 application, or is it specifically for EL34's? I have the transformer, but I want to know if I can use it in my build. Thanks!

Last edited:

ClassicTone

Reaction score

mariosoldano

Reaction score
It sounds like you are looking for something more like a Fender Deluxe than a JTM 45 since you are requiring 6V6 tubes. The JTM45s were around 38 watts and used 2 x KT66 tubes. The Fender Deluxe amps are around 20 watts and had 2 x 6V6 tubes. We do offer Fender Deluxe transformers as well. The proper transformers to use for a Fender Deluxe style transformer are as follows:

Fender Output Transformer, Deluxe & Deluxe Reverb, 125A1A & 022640, 8 Ohm

Fender Output Transformer, Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, 4/8 Ohm

Fender Power Transformer, Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, Tweed Tremolux, 125P23B, 025130, 041316, 120V

Fender Vintage Style Choke, 50mA DC, 4 Hy, 125C3A & 022707 (this is the correct choke to actually use for a Deluxe amp)

Also, to determine the appropriate choke, please supply the DC current you require for your project. We do have some other chokes that are in development now besides our currently available 5 Hy Marshall choke and two Fender style chokes.

hi

which choke would you prefer for my JVM 410H??

mario

HumanJHawkins

Reaction score
Noob question... Do the transformers come with a spec sheet/wire color chart so a beginning builder can adapt from instructions for a different make of transformer to yours?

Thanks,
Jeff

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
When I saw your transformers in my ancient Gretsch 6160; I knew this was the way to go for my 18 watt mini bluesbreaker clone I'm building.Clips and vid to come..

ClassicTone

Reaction score
hi

which choke would you prefer for my JVM 410H??

mario

Hello Mario,

My engineer believes the 40-18032 would be your best choice. You may want to check to make sure there is room for this in your chassis before you purchase this item. I have supplied the spec sheet per the following link:

http://www.classictone.net/40-18032.pdf

Also, you may purchase this from our exclusicve Classictone distributors, Amp Parts direct and/or Triode USA per the following links:

Marshall JCM 800 & JMP Style 5Hy, 120 mA DC Choke 40-18032 - Amp Parts Direct

Marshall JCM 800 & JMP Style 5 Hy, 120 mA DC Choke ClassicTone 40-18032

Thanks for your interest in our ClassicTone transformers! :dude:

ClassicTone

Reaction score
Noob question... Do the transformers come with a spec sheet/wire color chart so a beginning builder can adapt from instructions for a different make of transformer to yours?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes, spec sheets are generally supplied by our distributors with the shipment of of our transformers. Although the the specs do not give exact instructions of how to hook up the transformers, they do provide most important details of the transformer.

If you are new to amp building, you may want to consider purchasing an amp kit in conjuction with our transformers. Amp kits are usually provided with detailed instructions of how to install the components such as the transformers. For example, following is a link to a ClassicTone distributor, Triode USA amp kits page:

Tube Amp Kits and Gear

Thanks for your interest in our ClassicTone transformers! :thumb:

ClassicTone

Reaction score
When I saw your transformers in my ancient Gretsch 6160; I knew this was the way to go for my 18 watt mini bluesbreaker clone I'm building.Clips and vid to come..

Fantastic!

Yep...that is probably one of our original transformers in the Gretsch 6160. Is it this one? (see link below):

Valco Supro Thunderbolt Style 35W Power Transformer, 117V, E-3738, 330-3738, E-3738A, E-3738B

We recently reintroduced this part as well as a few others as part of our ClassicTone line nearly 50 years after they were originally produced by us.

Thank you sir! Enjoy! :headbanger:

Latest posts