ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components *Sponsor*

• Thread starter Alex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Hey Alex, nice to have you onboard matey! Does ClassicTone currently have a clone of the original dual (50W?) OT's used in the first JTM45/100 amps? One of these days I'd like to build a JTM45/100 with your transformers as I understand CT typically uses paper formers as opposed to the commonly used plastic formers and that the vintage method makes for a more vintage tone. After having owned an old tweed Vibrolux, I'd have to say that there is a 'marked' difference in tone from vintage transformers comparative to the newer designs.

jack daniels

Reaction score
To the OP, you do know that part of sales is responding to customer questions as in #325 and #341. To be selective about who you cater to as a customer is not very good business practice and enough to turn many people off of a product even if said product is good. Just food for thought.

ClassicTone

Reaction score
To the OP, you do know that part of sales is responding to customer questions as in #325 and #341. To be selective about who you cater to as a customer is not very good business practice and enough to turn many people off of a product even if said product is good. Just food for thought.

I just saw this post and I do try to check the Forum thread as frequently as possible but I have not checked it in a few days. That being said, sorry for the late reply. I actually really appreciate your interest in our products. I honestly never remember seeing the #325 post and just saw this #341 post now. In regards to #341, you are looking for the super rare version of the JTM45/100 with the two output transformers. We only offer the single 100W OT transformer for the JTM45/100 and it is our ClassicTone # 40-18067.

In regards to # 325 post, we are not affiliated with Schumacher but we do produce our transformers just like the originals that Schumacher made for Fender. We are not really new at all. We have been actually producing paper layer wound amplifier transformers for the likes of Fender, Gibson, Valco (Supro, Airlines, etc.) and many others since the 1950s. We actually still use some of the same exact machinery, techniques and a lot of the same material types that we used to produce these items from that era.

Thank you!!!

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
www.classictone.net

Last edited:

ClassicTone

Reaction score
I just saw this post and I do try to check the Forum thread as frequently as possible but I have not checked it in a few days. That being said, sorry for the late reply. I actually really appreciate your interest in our products. I honestly never remember seeing the #325 post and just saw this #341 post now. In regards to #341, we do offer a nice output for the ClassicTone # 40-18067 output transformer for use in JTM45/100 builds.

In regards to # 325 post, we are not affiliated with Schumacher but we do produce our transformers just like the originals that Schumacher made for Fender. We are not really new at all. We have been actually producing paper layer wound amplifier transformers for the likes of Fender, Gibson, Valco (Supro, Airlines, etc.) and many other since the 1950s. We actually still use some most of the same exact machinery, techniques and a lot of the same material types that we used to produce these items from that era.

Thank you!!!

www.classictone.net

Last edited:

ClassicTone

Reaction score
The ClassicTone O/T totally transformed my DSL50 and really reminds me of my old JMP 2203 from way back. Just couldn't imagine playing through a 2K DSL without one of these great O/T's installed.
Absolute must for this series of heads.

Thank You ClassicTone!!!

Great upgrade. I am glad you like it!!!

Thanks for buying our ClassicTone transformers!

www.classictone.net

jack daniels

Reaction score
I just saw this post and I do try to check the Forum thread as frequently as possible but I have not checked it in a few days. That being said, sorry for the late reply. I actually really appreciate your interest in our products. I honestly never remember seeing the #325 post and just saw this #341 post now. In regards to #341, you are looking for the super rare version of the JTM45/100 with the two output transformers. We only offer the single 100W OT transformer for the JTM45/100 and it is our ClassicTone # 40-18067.

In regards to # 325 post, we are not affiliated with Schumacher but we do produce our transformers just like the originals that Schumacher made for Fender. We are not really new at all. We have been actually producing paper layer wound amplifier transformers for the likes of Fender, Gibson, Valco (Supro, Airlines, etc.) and many others since the 1950s. We actually still use some of the same exact machinery, techniques and a lot of the same material types that we used to produce these items from that era.

Thank you!!!

www.classictone.net

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate that CT makes transformers the 'old fashion way' because it's my firm belief that there is most definitely something to the 'paper former' phenomena. I'm just curious how musical instrument transformer companies get around present day government electrical code restrictions for safety & fire hazard issues that the old 'paper former' designs supposedly (had/have). I hope that in the near future that CT will reproduce the dual 50W OT's as used in the early JTM45/100 amps. Also, it's very good to know of the very close similarities to the old Schumacher transformers as I would now rather use CT transformers to replace a bad old Fender tranny OR in the build of a Fender clone amp. Thanks again!

danfrank

Reaction score
Hey Alex, nice to have you onboard matey! Does ClassicTone currently have a clone of the original dual (50W?) OT's used in the first JTM45/100 amps? One of these days I'd like to build a JTM45/100 with your transformers as I understand CT typically uses paper formers as opposed to the commonly used plastic formers and that the vintage method makes for a more vintage tone. After having owned an old tweed Vibrolux, I'd have to say that there is a 'marked' difference in tone from vintage transformers comparative to the newer designs.

This one should do it:

http://www.classictone.net/40-18039.html

This is the JTM45 output transformer replacement ClassicTone makes. Marshall just used 2 of these type of transformer and paralleled everything in the JTM45/100. The CT 18039 has original spec 8K primary and includes a 100v secondary tap also.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Hey Dan, thanks for the link :yesway: You know I got to thinking about what it would be like to use a pair of Radiospares (or Radiospares replicas) for the OT's in a JTM45/100 build. Somebody, possibly Chris Merren said that the Radiospares OT's in the JTM45 amps were more 'Hi Fi' comparative to the latter model Drake OT's used in the JTM45's. I'm curious about the differences of using either (2) Radiospares or (2) Drake OT's in place of the later 100W single OT used by Marshall (Drake?) In other words would (2) OT's saturate quicker than a single OT. Barring the filtering (and amount of filtering) what were the tonal differences between the earliest and later model JTM45/100 amps? If I ever buy another amp or amp kit build it will be a JTM45/100 so, I'd like to know the differences and what I would be getting. I've even thought that my blonde 61' Fender Showman head could put me in the JTM45/100 realm since it's basically a blonde Fender Twin with around 80W which is very similar to the JTM45/100's output.

ClassicTone

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate that CT makes transformers the 'old fashion way' because it's my firm belief that there is most definitely something to the 'paper former' phenomena. I'm just curious how musical instrument transformer companies get around present day government electrical code restrictions for safety & fire hazard issues that the old 'paper former' designs supposedly (had/have). I hope that in the near future that CT will reproduce the dual 50W OT's as used in the early JTM45/100 amps. Also, it's very good to know of the very close similarities to the old Schumacher transformers as I would now rather use CT transformers to replace a bad old Fender tranny OR in the build of a Fender clone amp. Thanks again!

Our transformers are constructed to modern UL insulation system requirements. Also, although it is wound using a paper form and paper insulation, it is vacuum impregnated with high temperature, solvent-less varnish. This essentially makes the paper in the transformer flame resistant. Also, the suggestion of the two 40-18039 for your requirement is a good one.

www.classictone.net

jack daniels

Reaction score
Our transformers are constructed to modern UL insulation system requirements. Also, although it is wound using a paper form and paper insulation, it is vacuum impregnated with high temperature, solvent-less varnish. This essentially makes the paper in the transformer flame resistant. Also, the suggestion of the two 40-18039 for your requirement is a good one.

www.classictone.net

Thanks!

danfrank

Reaction score
Hey Dan, thanks for the link :yesway: You know I got to thinking about what it would be like to use a pair of Radiospares (or Radiospares replicas) for the OT's in a JTM45/100 build. Somebody, possibly Chris Merren said that the Radiospares OT's in the JTM45 amps were more 'Hi Fi' comparative to the latter model Drake OT's used in the JTM45's. I'm curious about the differences of using either (2) Radiospares or (2) Drake OT's in place of the later 100W single OT used by Marshall (Drake?) In other words would (2) OT's saturate quicker than a single OT. Barring the filtering (and amount of filtering) what were the tonal differences between the earliest and later model JTM45/100 amps? If I ever buy another amp or amp kit build it will be a JTM45/100 so, I'd like to know the differences and what I would be getting. I've even thought that my blonde 61' Fender Showman head could put me in the JTM45/100 realm since it's basically a blonde Fender Twin with around 80W which is very similar to the JTM45/100's output.

Hi JD,
Sorry I haven't responded quicker; for some reason I rarely view the sticky threads.
As to which transformer you should use, the RS or the Drake... Chris Merrin could better answer those questions. What I can tell you is that the Drakes are "bottom of the barrel" as in terms of quality... Little to no interleaving of the windings, sloppy windings, etc. Now, don't get me wrong... This isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially with guitar amp OPTs. Lot's of times it's these shoddy winding techniques that make a particular transformer sound great in a guitar amp.
As for the RS transformer being more of a Hi-Fi type of OPT, all this means is that the RS transformer has a wider bandwidth than the Drake, which is, it can pass a wider frequency response to the speakers than the Drake unit.
It all comes to one's taste, all this stuff is so subjective.
One thing to consider before building your 45-100 style amp is that 2 50 watt transformers wired in parallel will be more inefficient (wasteful) than one 100 watt OPT doing the same job. Marshall originally used 2 50 watt transformers because this is what they had on hand at the time, and that is the ONLY reason they went this route.
BUT...
Again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing for a guitar amp. Having 2 OPTs will also introduce more distortion in the signal. There is no way 2 different transformers will be wound the EXACT same way, there will be differences between the 2 OPTs. I have never heard a 45-100 with 2 OPTs but the extra distortion induced may sound pleasing. I'm willing to bet that it would be a lot of 2nd harmonic distortion which is the "good" sounding distortion, at least in a guitar amp. What's bad for a Hi-Fi amp can be good for a guitar amp in terms of sound.
See if you can find a 2 OPT 45-100 to try out to see if you like the sound. If you have access to JTM45s with the RS and Drake transformers, try them out too to see which of the 2 brands you like the best.
One more thing... Your '61 Showman; what a great amp! Which OPT does it have? The 125A4A transformer is supposed to be the one Fender had made for Dick Dale's amps. The only OPT that could withstand the way he played! Here's a picture of it. It's huge!

IMG_0357_zpsa88dd07c.jpg

Last edited:

jack daniels

Reaction score
Hey Dan! Thanks so much for your reply belated or not. What I had thought about (or) considered was about using (2) RS JTM45 OT replicas like (2) Merren RS clones if and when I can afford do the JTM45/100 build. As for my Showman head, unfortunately it's in storage but I do know that the trannys are original, it is a 8 Ohm OT and the model is a 6G14 which from my observations would appear to be the same topology as a Blonde Fender Twin. The schematic for this amp denotes (PT) TR1 - 67233 ; (CH) TR2 - 125C1A ; (OT) TR3 - 45550. The 125A4A and the Fender Part# 45550 may be one in the same in actuality. BTW, didn't or doesn't Dick Dale 'snap' or 'pop' his strings which would spike the signal?

JFWIW I recall a pic or image inside a "Wings Over America" album wherein Jimmy McCulloch guitarist for "Paul McCartney and Wings" had a blonde Fender Showman head sitting atop a Marshall stack alongside a 1959 SL stack, that is if I remember the pic correctly.

Last edited:

tman

Reaction score
I just ordered a choke and op trans for my dsl40 cant wait to get them in LOL. I love your equipment Classictones!!!

bill bokey

Reaction score
Here's a 1959 SLP I upgraded with a brand new turret board loaded with quality components and a set of Classic Tone transformers (40-18053 PT, 40-18026 OT and 40-18058 choke).

CXsudGL.jpg

hcU9cfP.jpg

First time I ever used CT trannies and I must say I was very impressed ! I'll definitely use CT again pretty soon. I am actually using a 40-18058 choke for my next build and will try a 50W set asap.
Here are a few videos of the upgraded SLP :

Last edited:

dslman

Reaction score
Here's a 1959 SLP I upgraded with a brand new turret board loaded with quality components and a set of Classic Tone transformers (40-18053 PT, 40-18026 OT and 40-18058 choke).

CXsudGL.jpg

12107881_532707710211433_3711995098152314958_n.jpg

First time I ever used CT trannies and I must say I was very impressed ! I'll definitely use CT again pretty soon. I am actually using a 40-18058 choke for my next build and will try a 50W set asap.
Here are a few videos of the upgraded SLP :

Awesome work, great punchy tone.

tman

Reaction score
Man I been playing for about 2 weeks with my Classic tone OT and 3HY Choke and my amp sounds incredible way better.Its punchy and has a more classic vintage gain to it now.I changed some tubes also and have a good plexi style vibe coming out of that amp now.Thanks Classic tone awesome transformers and chokes.

TrainableCat

Reaction score
Can anyone (ClassicTone?) verify my wiring layout for connecting the ClassicTone 40-18074
output transformer to the JCM2000 DSL50 amp:

DSL50 wiring orientation for 40-18074 output transformer:

TUBE BOARD (JCM2-60-00)
Primary of 40-18074 WHITE to VIOLET W4
Primary of 40-18074 BROWN to BLU W5
Primary of 40-18074 RED to WHI W3

If amp oscillates, reverse white and red connections on tube board.

REAR BOARD (JCM2-62-00)
Secondary of 40-18074 BLK GND W6 RED
Secondary of 40-18074 VIO 4 ohm W3 GRN
Secondary of 40-18074 YEL 8 ohm W1 ORN
Secondary of 40-18074 GRN 16 ohm W5 BLK

Based off RickyLee's post on page 10 of this thread and the Joey Mod's thread.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I used Classic tone PT to lower the B+ voltage, because it has multi taps for voltage selection.
I tried all different methods and tested throughly, and the Classic Tone worked better than any of the other popular methods.

Classic Tone is now a regular part of the tool bag.
Made in USA which is important to me- it's a "go to" resource.