ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components *Sponsor*

• Thread starter Alex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicTone

Reaction score
We do not offer anything currently for the JCM2000 DSL401 (40W?).

As of now, we only offer transformers for the 50W and 100W DSL/TSL amps and do not have any specific future plans for the DSL401 transformers.

Thanks,

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.

VanR

Reaction score
Got my second Classic Tone18 Watt OT from Triode. Sounds as good as the first one. Thanks for the great sounding transformers at great prices. Glad I could buy Made In USA for a change.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I was posting about this in the Workbench section, but just remembered we have a dedicated thread for ClassicTone.

:D

Hello Joe!

:wave:

I just (finally after about 7 months or so) put my ClassicTone 40-18084 power transformer into my TSL100 this evening. Only played it for a few minutes at low volume.

I am a bit bummed though. I am only seeing about 10V of a reduction on the B+ or plate voltage of my EL34's. The specs claim that there should be a 10% reduction.

Anyone else here tried this power transformer yet? And if so, did you see the 10% reduction on the B+?

ClassicTone

Reaction score
Hello Rick,

Sorry to hear that it did not meet your expectations but I just had both my engineers verify that our 40-18084 was actually lower than your requested lower rating you actually supplied us to meet of between 450 - 460 B+ plate voltage. Our actual bench tested loaded winding reading was 443V.

Please keep in mind that you might want to give it more time under load at a bit more volume than you did to get a more accurate reading.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello Rick,

Sorry to hear that it did not meet your expectations but I just had both my engineers verify that our 40-18084 was actually lower than your requested lower rating you actually supplied us to meet of between 450 - 460 B+ plate voltage. Our actual bench tested loaded winding reading was 443V.

Please keep in mind that you might want to give it more time under load at a bit more volume than you did to get a more accurate reading.

Hey Joe.

Yeah, I am thinking that this one I have might be a bit higher due to it being one of the first they made. I have been running it every day for a few hours and it is running loaded with four EL34's at around 472V on the EL34 plates. My MAINS are at about 122VAC with this plate voltage.

Once these power transformers are built, there is no way to modify the windings? 450V is a good voltage for all these new production power valves. The JJ's seem to hold up well running over 470V plate and screen.

Can I get a favor Joe? Can you ask the engineers a question for me? They put an additional winding on this power transformer for me. It is a 60V winding to take the place of the original 43V bias winding. Only problem is they did not put a center tap wire on this new 60V winding, where the original 43V has a CT and is used by the DSL/TSL.

Can you ask them if I should Ground one end of this 60V winding then just use the positive end in a one diode/one leg setup for the bias circuit?

ClassicTone

Reaction score
Hey Joe.

Yeah, I am thinking that this one I have might be a bit higher due to it being one of the first they made. I have been running it every day for a few hours and it is running loaded with four EL34's at around 472V on the EL34 plates. My MAINS are at about 122VAC with this plate voltage.

Once these power transformers are built, there is no way to modify the windings? 450V is a good voltage for all these new production power valves. The JJ's seem to hold up well running over 470V plate and screen.

Can I get a favor Joe? Can you ask the engineers a question for me? They put an additional winding on this power transformer for me. It is a 60V winding to take the place of the original 43V bias winding. Only problem is they did not put a center tap wire on this new 60V winding, where the original 43V has a CT and is used by the DSL/TSL.

Can you ask them if I should Ground one end of this 60V winding then just use the positive end in a one diode/one leg setup for the bias circuit?

Yes. You can ground one end of the bias winding. :thumb:

From what my engineer told me, this is typically they way Marshall did it.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just installed a 40-18023 PT in a 50 watt Plexi. Sounds awesome!!!!

Thanks Classic Tone.

David Hopkins

Clasic Tone 40-18023 Power Transformer:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d10JCFh-ea4[/ame]

Casey_Butt

Reaction score
I've used a few ClassicTone chokes and output transformers in Marshall builds/rebuilds/mods and I've been very happy with them - excellent quality, price and sound. In fact, unless I'm looking for something very specific that ClassicTone just doesn't make or I get bored or want variety for some reason, I'll probably turn to ClassicTone first from now on when I need chokes or transformers. Good, authentically made and sounding, high quality gear at very reasonable prices.

ClassicTone

Reaction score
I've used a few ClassicTone chokes and output transformers in Marshall builds/rebuilds/mods and I've been very happy with them - excellent quality, price and sound. In fact, unless I'm looking for something very specific that ClassicTone just doesn't make or I get bored or want variety for some reason, I'll probably turn to ClassicTone first from now on when I need chokes or transformers. Good, authentically made and sounding, high quality gear at very reasonable prices.

Thanks for the nice words! It is appreciated. :applause:

Glad you like our ClassicTone transformers! :thumb:

ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components, Inc.

ClassicTone

Reaction score
40-18095_front_2.jpg

Now introducing our new ClassicTone # 40-18095. It is JTM45 / JTM50 / 50W JMP / 50W JCM800 upright style upgrade power transformer!

This is the ultimate power transformer for the Marshall amp enthusiast! It features decades of Marshall 50W power transformer development in one great package plus has many additional upgrade features. This power transformer covers most 45W and 50W Marshall style amp applications from the 1960s to the late 1980s. It is a great vintage era type constructed, paper layer wound power transformer for JTM45**, JTM50** 50W JMP** and 50W JCM800** style amplifiers with upright style mountings. It has the multinational primary voltages of 120V, 220V & 240V. This also is a great upgrade power transformer since it features the highest performing and coolest running, grain oriented M-6 steel lamination, a copper flux band for hum reduction and three separate B+ rating options appropriate for a variety of solid state and tube rectification applications. This is a very versatile Marshall style power transformer for use in 50W or "so" DIY amp projects and new OEM builds.

Please see the following for more information:

40-18095: Marshall Style JTM45/JTM50/JMP/JCM800 Power Transformer

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
www.classictone.net

Doug_MN

Reaction score
A little advice please. I just purchased the full ClassicTone OT, PT and choke bundle for my JCM2000 DSL50. I've also downloaded the PDF "specifications" docs but it is not clear to me how to hookup all the wires. Is there additional information that comes with these transformers? I am comfortable working in amps and reading schematics. For any of you who have upgraded your DSL, will you please advise how to proceed so I don't let smoke out of the wires?

Thanks!

Doug

Billyblades

Reaction score
Classictone trannys are excellent.
I use them.in all my builds. Tried the rest...

These are the best for my needs... quality through n through.
These great transformer.

Btw.n amp is an el84 Blades Firebolt 20 just completed "from scratch " for our friend DirtySteve
New build... tired n done with a camera but surely good enough to hear the overal chewy goodness!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ-OmjuE1ng&list=UULeymFO9XIiaNpTrCZMl00A&index=1[/ame]
Handmade.. handwired.. turretboard, chassis and all quality parts included some great transformers from my classictone friends here in the good ol USA.. :)

Not the "official " test video n reall rough but its all in fun and quest for the holy grail hot rodded Marshall tone.

Well.. thats off the bucket list lol...

Carpe diem

Have a great day n thanks For the great transformers CT!!!

alerich

Reaction score
Recently finished a JCM 800 scratch build in a small combo chassis with the ClassicTone JCM 800 50 watt transformer set. Great iron. This amp rocks. I also have used their Fender Deluxe OT in a Marshall Studio 15 clone and was very impressed with it. I have searched high and low for current (amperage) specs for the ClassicTone 40-18023 50 watt Marshall PT to no avail. I am mainly interested in the 6.3VAC filament winding rating. The spec sheet only shows dimensions, wire colors and mounting centers. Anyone know where I can find this information?

jcm800mini001.jpg

jcm800mini002.jpg

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I have searched high and low for current (amperage) specs for the ClassicTone 40-18023 50 watt Marshall PT to no avail. I am mainly interested in the 6.3VAC filament winding rating. The spec sheet only shows dimensions, wire colors and mounting centers. Anyone know where I can find this information?
It indicates 5 amps for 6.3 volts on the specification sheet to the right of the diagram.

dennyps4

Reaction score
Thank you for not over bloating the price on these, like a certain company we all know. Poor bastards like me can actually afford them. I'm planning on building a 2205 with your trannys. I have the pcb and a chassis so I hope to get it built soon. Thanks!!!!

Latest posts