• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Clip on Tuners?

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better how?
I have no scientific quantification of accuracy or anything like that.
Better display for sure.
Clip seems easier to use.
Does multiple tunings, but I'm kinda baffled at that - the different tuning settings still just all show whatever note you play, and do the higher / lower thing...
I like the rechargeable function too, but my Snarks are older, so their newer ones may be just as good, and they probably have rechargeable ones now too.

Antmax

Reaction score
I like the TC Electronics UniTune. I originally had the more expensive PolyTune clip but didn't like the way it keeps checking all your strings at once. It's a features some people like because you can just strum and it shows you which string/s are out of tune.

Unitune has that mode removed, so it just does one note at a time like normal tuners.

It's super accurate +- 0.05 cent, accurate enough to do a proper intonation. It also has a really sturdy metal clip.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
In my opinion and experience, most are accurate enough by now. I dislike Snarks since I got tired of shelling out $40 each time they broke. I don't know if they've improved over the years, but I still won't try another one. I also don't like circular LED displays on digital/LED gadgets.

I prefer the TC Electronic Polytune Clip, which I've been using two of since they first came out (I don't use the 'poly' mode, I use either 'needle mode' or 'strobe mode').

If you want a clip-on tuner that will keep you meticulously in tune, provide tempered tuning options, AND accuracy for setting intonation, then no other clip-on beats the Peterson Strobo Clip HD.

For acoustic guitars, I use the D'Addario Sound Hole Tuners.

For my mandolin, I use the D'Addario Micro Headstock Tuner.

For my electrics, I've been using the TCE Polytune, version 1, since before it was invented (they're at v.3 now). However, I've been wanting to get a Peterson StroboStomp HD, mostly because it's gadgety, looks really cool, and you can change the display colors.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

dro

Reaction score
Peterson Strobe
For me there is no other.
Have had many models since the 70's.
From the model 450 table model to the 490 rack model.
The original Stroboclip, which I really liked. Kinda looked like the speedometer of a 57 Chevy.
Have multiple Stroboclip HD models in most of my acoustic cases.
The Strobostomp Classic, Strobostomp HD, And Just ordered the Strobostomp Mini for my new pedalboard.
I always tried to have the most professional gear I could afford.
When looking at what the pros use. I figured if it's good enough for them, and I can afford it. I'm getting it.
You'd be hard-pressed to find another brand tuner in a pro guitar tech's arsenal.
There is a reason for that.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
My first Snark was great and lasted a long time. When it broke I bought a different Snark that is not as good.
The first one I had was the "Super-Tite" which seems more accurate than the "Silver Snark" I now own.
Wish I would have just bought a new Super Tite

GustHFS

Reaction score
I have a Korg Pitchclip that serves me up very well. Very accurate, easy to read and easy to attach everywhere. It's a battery sucker from hell, since those CR2032 just doesn't lasts enough, but I think that's a common issue with those clip format tuners. I'm curious to know CR2032 durability on tuners like Peterson and TC's Polytune.

Gust

Adrian R

Reaction score
Peterson Strobe
For me there is no other.
Have had many models since the 70's.
From the model 450 table model to the 490 rack model.
The original Stroboclip, which I really liked. Kinda looked like the speedometer of a 57 Chevy.
Have multiple Stroboclip HD models in most of my acoustic cases.
The Strobostomp Classic, Strobostomp HD, And Just ordered the Strobostomp Mini for my new pedalboard.
I always tried to have the most professional gear I could afford.
When looking at what the pros use. I figured if it's good enough for them, and I can afford it. I'm getting it.
You'd be hard-pressed to find another brand tuner in a pro guitar tech's arsenal.
There is a reason for that.
What kind of battery does it use?

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I have a PolyTune Noir II pedal and the same clip-on tuner.

They are both as accurate as each other. I know this because I had both going at the same time.

The only difference is the clip-on doesn't do Drop D but how hard can it be to set it to E Standard and tune the 6th string to D, you know?

Now, I have gone through one of the clip-on tuners already. They will send you another one. By pressing buttons, you weaken the plastic shell, and then they break, and the little circuit is exposed. I still have the pedal. So there is the big difference.

yafal

Reaction score
Who makes the best one?

Thanks!
One thing to keep an eye on is that many of them alter the sound of the guitar, mainly adding capacitance. The one which I can say it doesn't do that, is the Polytune. Of course, I'm talking about the ones you plug before the amp. Also rack units do that.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I bought into the hype, and went with a Snark ... the damn thing broke w/in just a couple of weeks of use. Figured I must have just had bad luck, so decided to give it another go, and while the 2nd one worked just fine (and didn't break), I found it would eat up batteries at an alarming rate (this was like just a couple / few weeks after I bought the damn thing). At that point I just said to hell with it. They also look super stupid. Not for me.

gkelm

Reaction score
I have a blue Snark that really works well and convenient for clipping on an off guitars. For the money, can’t go wrong. Nicely visible readout and stable tuning.

Also have a couple D’Addario micro that’s great for minimalist sizing. Definitely not as easy to pop on and off. They make one that screws into a tuner hole for semi-permanent installation…nice.

Just depends on your use and preference.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I’ve been using a Peterson clip on strobe tuner. It works well and is sensitive to icking up vibration. I’ve used others through the years, mostly Snarks, and the all seemed to work fine. The Peterson always pick up vibration where some others have had trouble with certain guitars and certain strings - big E usually.

Latest posts