Code Digital Amp Series (interface, App, Usb, Etc)

• Thread starter barney956
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

barney956

Reaction score
(mod note: this was extracted from the CODE thread to discuss these specific topics)

Got my CODE25 to record demos in the house with. This replaced Mustang that i was using however I've got an SL5 and use JCM800 & JCM900 to record with so want something that had a more Marshall tone for demos in the house.

Sounds great when playing it straight but when i goto record with the USB port there is this strange static.

Cable is fine, gain staging is same as the Mustang and set up in Logic is exactly the same.

Strangest part of the whole thing is that it passes in and out as you record through USB but doesn't affect sound through amp.

Have a listen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9drhipecjskno0/distortion example distorted.mp3?dl=0

Then this is the lead part with absolutely no distortion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vg64b3c1ohxpj1/distortion example clean.mp3?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Got my CODE25 to record demos in the house with. This replaced Mustang that i was using however I've got an SL5 and use JCM800 & JCM900 to record with so want something that had a more Marshall tone for demos in the house.

Sounds great when playing it straight but when i goto record with the USB port there is this strange static.

Cable is fine, gain staging is same as the Mustang and set up in Logic is exactly the same.

Strangest part of the whole thing is that it passes in and out as you record through USB but doesn't affect sound through amp.

Have a listen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9drhipecjskno0/distortion example distorted.mp3?dl=0

Then this is the lead part with absolutely no distortion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vg64b3c1ohxpj1/distortion example clean.mp3?dl=0
What does your system look like? Win/Mac? Using a front, or back USB? Is it USBII?

Could be an interface issue, or USB. Or, it could be the way the DAW is getting the signal. What DAW?

There's a lot it could be. There could be a fault w/ the amp's I/O, ???

Toni

Reaction score

Isn't that the same issue that was shown here?

barney956

Reaction score
Isn't that the same issue that was shown here?

That's exactly it. It's the one downside to the amp I've found so far. The modelling in it is very good.

Need to wait and see how many people have same issue and go from there.

barney956

Reaction score
Quick update I've emailed Marshall direct so should hopefully hear back before too long.

Goooner1

Reaction score
Tried Bluetooth streaming to it yesterday, seemed to work pretty well, until I picked up the phone to switch to a different track, then I was getting all sorts of crackling noises. Had been crystal clear up until then.

Disconnected then reconnected and it was all fine again. So not sure if it's a general Bluetooth issue or an amp issue.

Goooner1

Reaction score
Well with my particular issues, I suppose with any electrical product there's a chance that one of the components will be dodgy. These things happen, it was very quickly sorted.

As for the crackling from Bluetooth streaming, in my limited experience, BT can be a bit hit and miss at the best of times. When I started streaming, it was very good, it's only when I picked the phone up and change tracks it started having issues, which is what led me to think it was more a BT thing than an issue with the amp itself. Once I reconnected it was all good again.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a firmware update or two along the line as the product matures. Perfectly happy with mine as is, now that it's actually working :)

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Well with my particular issues, I suppose with any electrical product there's a chance that one of the components will be dodgy. These things happen, it was very quickly sorted.

As for the crackling from Bluetooth streaming, in my limited experience, BT can be a bit hit and miss at the best of times. When I started streaming, it was very good, it's only when I picked the phone up and change tracks it started having issues, which is what led me to think it was more a BT thing than an issue with the amp itself. Once I reconnected it was all good again.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a firmware update or two along the line as the product matures. Perfectly happy with mine as is, now that it's actually working :)
interesting enough, I just happened to catch this post to someone's profile...

I had the same trouble with the Bluetooth connection. I just solve the problem. I had to unpair other bluetooth connections e.g. my smartwatch. Also i uninstalled a bluetooth app i installed with my smartwatch (for push notifications). I dont know which of these blocked the marshall gateway, but now it works fine.

maybe that helps?

what I noticed was "push notifications" could be causing interference...

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Well, this sucks. Problems with it working, problems with the BT connection.. I heard line6 had problems with BT though also. Maybe it's BT itself or perhaps it doesn't work well for this application.. No telling. I would hate to get it and not be able to use one of the main things which draws me to it (BT connection) but I'm still going to get one.. Just hope the thing works.. Seems at this point like they may have rushed it out.. Should have had working amps in hand and throughly tested and then launched at NAMM next year.. Oh well.

mazzefr

Reaction score
Well, then Marshall would have been the one company to master blue tooth. Let's be real here.

It is the sound of the amp that most matters mates

The good news is Gateway is only v0.8.1. I think that's programmer speak for beta. Improvements are sure to follow.

Reaction score
Well, this sucks. Problems with it working, problems with the BT connection.. I heard line6 had problems with BT though also. Maybe it's BT itself or perhaps it doesn't work well for this application.. No telling. I would hate to get it and not be able to use one of the main things which draws me to it (BT connection) but I'm still going to get one.. Just hope the thing works.. Seems at this point like they may have rushed it out.. Should have had working amps in hand and throughly tested and then launched at NAMM next year.. Oh well.
I don't think it's the BT connection, my phone has no problem streaming music through the amp, I think Gateway is the problem. this shouldn't keep anyone from buying a Code, just, until Gateway is working 100% don't save setting changes to your phone, save them from the phone to the amp.

Goooner1

Reaction score
Yeah, mine sounded great when it was working! Just frustrating that I've had all the issues with it, I could live with flaky bluetooth, but an amp with no sound is kinda pointless, lol

Benzel

Reaction score
The good news is Gateway is only v0.8.1. I think that's programmer speak for beta. Improvements are sure to follow.
As a software developer I can confirm this, it's very early in it's life. Though, from what I've seen playing around with it, it looks really well produced for being in such a early version.

I don't think it's the BT connection, my phone has no problem streaming music through the amp, I think Gateway is the problem. this shouldn't keep anyone from buying a Code, just, until Gateway is working 100% don't save setting changes to your phone, save them from the phone to the amp.
As long as you use the same phone it won't be any problems saving settings. They are most likely stored as SharedPreferences on your phone, which has nothing with the app to do, you could uninstall the app and reinstall and have your saved settings restored, unless Marshall uses some strange way of persisting data, this should be fine.

Tantramancan

Reaction score
I also had the some trouble with the Bluetooth connection. I just solve the problem. I had to unpair other bluetooth connections e.g. for my smartwatch. Also i uninstalled a bluetooth app i installed with my smartwatch (for push notifications). I dont know which of these blocked the marshall gateway, but now it works fine.
[/QUOTE]
THE PROBLEM IS NOT THAT SIMPLE,
The Reason Gateway does not work for some devices ( ie my phone ) is the Bluetooth spec that MOST deviceS have is old spec ie v2.0 - v4.1. Gateway is an LE spec for transferring lots of more info to alter the MANY effects by touch-screen on your phone or Tablet, and if your device is NOT a Newer iPhone than iPhone 5s or android with bluetooth 4.1 LE it will only DO THE HEADPHONES. As this is a simple wav or MP file for old bluetooth to handle. The LE is low energy signal for short distances between devices and more power to the multiple functions that are needed to run the Gateway controls & touch-screen for the Effects. As my phone is Android 3 yrs old, I now have to buy a Tablet, iphone 6 or 2016 android phone, ALL OF WHICH COST MORE THAN THE CODE 25. You have to LOL or CRY. :monkey:It's all new Tech, and Marshall are looking at it, to see if there is another solution, apart from using controls on the AMP & A BIG MAGNIFYING GLASS TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Benzel

Reaction score
Well, the amp is very much controllable from it's own interface? You can't make old tech into new tech, that would be witchcraft. As with all new technology, you have to be up to date with it in order to use it! No LOL's or CRY's needed, just a bigger wallet :agreed:

mazzefr

Reaction score
"As my phone is Android 3 yrs old, I now have to buy a Tablet, iphone 6 or 2016 android phone, ALL OF WHICH COST MORE THAN THE CODE 25. You have to LOL or CRY. :monkey:It's all new Tech, and Marshall are looking at it, to see if there is another solution, apart from using controls on the AMP & A BIG MAGNIFYING GLASS TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING."

Bluetooth 4.0 has been out for over 4 years. That's two upgrades back for the average consumer.

Walmart has an RCA tablet for $50 and it supports 4.0

If you are concerned about privacy, use the amp without it.