Could have saved a ton of money...

• Thread starter Crunchcity
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HoboMan

Reaction score
I'm a longtime Marshall user but a few years ago I strayed and tried a couple of Mesa Boogies.
Good amps but completely different from Marshalls.

I'm back to gigging with my JCM800 and a DSL50 as a backup.
Couldn't be happier.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
I'm a longtime Marshall user but a few years ago I strayed and tried a couple of Mesa Boogies.
Good amps but completely different from Marshalls.

I'm back to gigging with my JCM800 and a DSL50 as a backup.
Couldn't be happier.

Believe it or not I actually traded a late 70's 1959 for one of those.

I also have a Teapot with the handle and spout on the same side as well.

:lol::lol: TWIN

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
If I had bought a Marshall sooner in life.

It's strange because I grew up on 70's/80's tones that were largely Marshall derived, but ended up playing through various Mesa Boogie amps by the time the 90's came around.

I took a long and winding road to get here. I wish I had just skipped over some of the "Marshallesque" amps I've owned and just got a Marshall!

Back in 2008 I bought a Splawn Quickrod and it was a good amp/well built, but as soon as I plugged into a JCM 800 I heard the midrange that I wanted to hear.

I have always been a JCM 800 guy, one model or another since the 80's. I did the Mesa Dual Recto thing a couple of times, tried ALL of the "Peavey Tube Amps" etc........... Marshall Rules!!

I had a 2009 QR. Did not sound anything like I expected once it arrived. I turned all of the knobs and the tone just did not really change. There was this funcky midrange that just turned me green. I kept looking for the blanket that was covering my cab but it wasn't there if you know what I am saying. I liked the OD/Distortion but HATED the EQ and my 100 watt marshalls would just drown that little bitch out.

Cheers

Salsg

Reaction score
I took a long way around to get to Marshall myself. Started with Fender playing strats. Had a Deville, the a SF Deluxe Reverb, then to a Vibro-King. Then I got a DSL, then a 2203, then a 1987XL, then a VM. Abotu the same time I switched over to Marshalls, I switched to Gibsons. Just more my tone.
Now I have three kick ass Marshalls, and working on another. Can't have too many!

I did go thru a few Mesas, an old single rec that sounded good, a newer triple rec that sounded like ass (in a band setting), a few oranges too, really liked those.

Rockerduck

Reaction score
Started with an SG and a Marshall Plexi to Les Paul and Super Lead. I had amp problems then Ampeg V4 came out and they sounded great. I used it for 5 more yrs. Then it was Stratocaster and a Peavy, then SS Fender, Then Acoustic . Up to Strat and Fender deluxe reverb, to Twin. Bought a Les Paul and used pedals. Plugged into a Marshall and found what I started with and why I did. I'm using a Les Paul Classic and a Marshall VM now.