Counterfeit guitars

• Thread starter mcqlfc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mcqlfc

Reaction score
A few years ago and in a moment of weakness, I bought a Ibanez Jem for, you guessed it, £5 + £200 p&p (from China). The guitar turned up a week later and the attention to detail was superb. It had the bird inlays on the fingerboard, good quality Floyd and the pick ups had such a sweet sound. I knew it was a forgery and the confirmation of the serial number on the Ibanez's web site confirmed this and then the guitar promptly started falling apart due to poor woods.
The thing is, these people had spent so much time in copying the guitar and got it looking good, so why don't they go into the business properly and make original guitars? They obviously have some talent for the game and they no doubt would be able to make some quality instruments.
I doubt they aren't making a fortune by selling copies?

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years ago and in a moment of weakness, I bought a Ibanez Jem for, you guessed it, £5 + £200 p&p (from China). The guitar turned up a week later and the attention to detail was superb. It had the bird inlays on the fingerboard, good quality Floyd and the pick ups had such a sweet sound. I knew it was a forgery and the confirmation of the serial number on the Ibanez's web site confirmed this and then the guitar promptly started falling apart due to poor woods.

The thing is, these people had spent so much time in copying the guitar and got it looking good, so why don't they go into the business properly and make original guitars? They obviously have some talent for the game and they no doubt would be able to make some quality instruments.
I doubt they aren't making a fortune by selling copies?

Thats how the criminal works. His choices are made with attention to how it will adversely affect good citizens.
All their actions will be calculated to make you get the raw deal- Proof being your guitar fell apart.
Dont expect them to think like thee and me.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I have a Tokai Love Rock , and its awesome !!!

those a knock off right ?

They're a knockoff, but I'm not sure you would call it a counterfeit. They're direct ripoffs, but they can get away with it since I believe Gibson can't sue international companies. :)

But yeah, Tokai, Burny, Edwards, and Greco make amazing copies of Gibson and Fender guitars. But ESP Navigator would be the "holy grail" of overseas copies. :D

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt classify Tokai and the like as counterfeit. They are copies but not pretending to be something they are not.

The guitars coming out of china with Gibson LesPaul on the headstock are more your counterfeit guitars. Deliberately trying to mislead the consumer.

Peace.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt classify Tokai and the like as counterfeit. They are copies but not pretending to be something they are not.

The guitars coming out of china with Gibson LesPaul on the headstock are more your counterfeit guitars. Deliberately trying to mislead the consumer.

Peace.

Exactly. I wasnt talking about Greco, Tokai etc.

I'm talking about this new Chinese counterfeit market. (post-lawsuit)

tim warner

Reaction score
I was just curious because I've been eyeballing a (Trade Tang) firebird. $300.00 with free shipping is awful tempting.

mcqlfc

Reaction score
Hi mc :wave:

Was it definitely a Jem & not a PRS?

Definitely an Ibanez Steve Vai jobby! Check the white one....

Actually, my mistake. The tree of life not a bird inlay. Sorry, it was a few years ago and I don't have the bits anymore.

Attachments

• 2251_52975346855_520921855_1853568_2937_n.jpg
    2251_52975346855_520921855_1853568_2937_n.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 9

mcqlfc

Reaction score
mcqlfc, Can you be more specific about what fell apart?

The wood on the body started splitting especially from the spring cavity towards the bottom. Shame as it was quite a nice player. The neck even had a scalloped last few frets and thats what I mean about attention to detail.