Deciding on a new Fuzz pedal...

• Thread starter AlisterHag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
i'm on the market for some fuzz myself. i like things that are tweakable.

the Way Huge Swollen Pickle mkII caught my eye. check out the video demos.
if it's good enough for Clutch it's good enough for me :cool:

[edit] listening to demos of the three your looking at, the Wampler and the Fulltone both sound really good.
i wasn't really impressed with the Sunface. [/edit]

Last edited:

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Can you tell us more about the Musket? I'm thinking about picking one up. How do you run it into the Marshall? Can you run it into the front w/the gain on the Marshall pretty high and clean it up w/vol. knob? How bassy etc? Play well with other pedals? Thanks!

BluesRocker

Reaction score
I am pretty satisfied with my Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face from Dunlop

Riffraff

Reaction score
Can you tell us more about the Musket? I'm thinking about picking one up. How do you run it into the Marshall? Can you run it into the front w/the gain on the Marshall pretty high and clean it up w/vol. knob? How bassy etc? Play well with other pedals? Thanks!

I haven't had it too long so I haven't spent much time running it with my VM set to high gain. I used it with some slight crunch in low dynamic mode but mostly was using it with my old Vibro Champ and a Silvertone 1482. It's a really cool pedal and it does clean up pretty well when you roll down your guitar's volume control. It's got a ton of adjustability as far as clarity and tone go so you can dial in just about any fuzz tone you want and it really works well with other pedals. I like stack mine for a Gilmour lead tone with a clean boost or OD in front (which depends on the amp I'm using) then I run it through a M108 to set the tone exactly the way I want it then into a chorus with it's speed set on zero and then to my delay. It nails that Comfortably Numb tone.
Here is how I have it layed out on my board with my 1482:
1482BOARD.jpg

With my Champ I swap the SD1 with a Route 66.
VCLP2.jpg

It's got an amazing amount of range and can go from Big Muff to distortion pedal which is really cool. It's got it's own LPB-1 circuit built in too and sometimes for a more distortion pedal sound I'll run a SD1 or Route 66 in front of it, adjust the fuzz to zero on the Musket and max it's boost control. It gets the coolest blues tone with my Lester set to it's neck pup and it's volume rolled back to around 4 or 5. It's the swiss army knife of fuzz boxes, that's for sure.

EastTexas

Reaction score
The big question for a fuzz face is, silicon or germanium transistors? The silicon is harsher and more raw (think: Hendrix, "Band of Gypsies") The germanium is maybe a bit more unstable (temperature changes affect the gain) but a softer fuzz, that cleans up better when you roll down the guitar volume pot. It also has a decided treble roll-off which gives a nice mid-range honk. Two very different fuzzes, both good sounds. I prefer the germanium.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
found a Fuzz shootout vid with a three headed fuzz that had two silicon and one germanium transistor.
have no idea how good/bad his pedals are.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9f6EKYaSk4"]‪Fuzz Pedal Shootout the First (Part 1 of 3)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

the huckleberry fuzz V2 use a silicon and a germanium transistor. i'm guessing one on the input and one on the output side.

Last edited:

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
I haven't had it too long so I haven't spent much time running it with my VM set to high gain. I used it with some slight crunch in low dynamic mode but mostly was using it with my old Vibro Champ and a Silvertone 1482. It's a really cool pedal and it does clean up pretty well when you roll down your guitar's volume control. It's got a ton of adjustability as far as clarity and tone go so you can dial in just about any fuzz tone you want and it really works well with other pedals. I like stack mine for a Gilmour lead tone with a clean boost or OD in front (which depends on the amp I'm using) then I run it through a M108 to set the tone exactly the way I want it then into a chorus with it's speed set on zero and then to my delay. It nails that Comfortably Numb tone.
Here is how I have it layed out on my board with my 1482:
1482BOARD.jpg

With my Champ I swap the SD1 with a Route 66.
VCLP2.jpg

It's got an amazing amount of range and can go from Big Muff to distortion pedal which is really cool. It's got it's own LPB-1 circuit built in too and sometimes for a more distortion pedal sound I'll run a SD1 or Route 66 in front of it, adjust the fuzz to zero on the Musket and max it's boost control. It gets the coolest blues tone with my Lester set to it's neck pup and it's volume rolled back to around 4 or 5. It's the swiss army knife of fuzz boxes, that's for sure.

"Swiss Army knife of fuzz boxes"???? That's what I wanted to hear!!!

I'm going for something that will do DSOTM-era and Animals-era tones while also being versatile enough to cop a Pumpkins vibe.

Secondly, I'm hoping for a fuzz that will play nice with my gain channels if I roll down my guitar volume. Currently I'm running the Mastotron into the SparkleDrive. The Mast. is a silicon FF derivation, so I've been looking for a Muff-based fuzz to round out my tonal library. I saw the Musket has a bass knob, which is nice. Is it pretty responsive? The Mast. has a 3-way switch that toggles bass amount, but of course I want something 'in-between' lol.

Thanks for the nice review/reply. Let me know if you try it in front of your VM in HDR and how it responds w/you git vol rolled down!

Last edited:

Danhorse

Reaction score
Hi chaps, first proper post here.

I have just bought the MI Audio Neo Fuzz (GE). Very happy with it, its versatile, has tone, bias, body and load controls as well. One to try if you are able.

And dont discount the Dunlop JH FF, many love it, its not boutique but delivers.

Riffraff

Reaction score
"Swiss Army knife of fuzz boxes"???? That's what I wanted to hear!!!

I'm going for something that will do DSOTM-era and Animals-era tones while also being versatile enough to cop a Pumpkins vibe.

Secondly, I'm hoping for a fuzz that will play nice with my gain channels if I roll down my guitar volume. Currently I'm running the Mastotron into the SparkleDrive. The Mast. is a silicon FF derivation, so I've been looking for a Muff-based fuzz to round out my tonal library. I saw the Musket has a bass knob, which is nice. Is it pretty responsive? The Mast. has a 3-way switch that toggles bass amount, but of course I want something 'in-between' lol.

Thanks for the nice review/reply. Let me know if you try it in front of your VM in HDR and how it responds w/you git vol rolled down!

It's responsive and not only plays well with others on your board but is often enhanced by them. Check out some of the Youtube reviews. Here is the one that got me GAS'n.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxQmz-lqWM]‪Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz Pedal‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

JayCM800

Reaction score
These are evil weapons for sonic destruction! One day i'll get one! Maybe the Fuzz War!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJa1fzv_Ew"]‪Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESevU8aD6bM&feature=relmfu"]‪Death By Audio Fuzz War‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfM88g6o3Mk&feature=related[/ame]

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
What kind of fuzz tone do you want?

Fulltone makes great fuzz pedals. The 69' is a very nice germanium fuzzface clone, the 70' is an awsome silicon fuzzface clone, and the soulbender is a great tonebender clone.

The Analogman sunface is a pretty killer pedal also. One of the best fuzz pedals on the market.

sunking420

Reaction score
I was just looking into the Fulltone '69 Mk II that is coming out. It sounds really really good. Like a GREAT Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face....Check out the Fulltone site. Maybe it's what you're looking for..

AlisterHag

Reaction score
Thx for the input!I have ended up going with the Spaceman Effects Gemini. Check it out

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-cqbUW95c]Spaceman Effects Gemini III Fuzz Demo - YouTube[/ame]