Digital Trend

• Thread starter TwinACStacks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
There's no way I'm pissing on traditional Marshall Fare....most of us "Dad Rockers" cut our teeth on 1970's/'80's amps. I would buy a 1970's JMP 1959 for the right money in a heartbeat....would I ever really use it in anger, :hmm: I doubt it.

:D Yes we did. We ALL LOVE Marshalls. Some of us want to, and wish Marshall would ALSO Pursue the digital Realm. I really don't care if they just stick to Modeling ONLY Marshall Amps and Cabs either, in fact I would prefer it. Do what you do best, Marshall.

:D:D TWIN

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Reality check. I couldn't find the foot switch for the JMD last Sunday for rehearsal, so took the DSL100. While the DSL sounded great, everyone said it "didn't sound as good as that new one you've been using"....the JMD50. :cool:

:D Shit Georgia I could have told you that. A JMD will OUT-DSL a DSL in a Heartbeat.... Let me assure you I have some experience with DSLs.

It does OTHER amps too.

:lol::lol: TWIN

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Twin, its OK man, no need to convince anyone. You have discovered some magic when a great digital preamp goes into an all tube power amp. It is not going to be for everyone. Let your tone do the talking.

I will never sell my wall of amps, in fact I may even get some more of the new Marshall's coming but they are more for fun now then for work.

:D TRUST ME NUKE. 2 Years Ago I would have never believed I would be defending Digital, no less USING them.

*corksniff, corksniff*

:cool::cool: TWIN

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Shit, Stacks, now you've got me researching the 501combo as a smaller do it all combo and I'm liking... shoulda left the DSL40 and found a 501! I might seriously look... thanks for that, I guess....:D

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to pick up a 501 combo for $275 with a crushed cab.
I could have rebuilt the cab for $50, or had MojoTone build one for a couple hundred, either way it would have been a bargain.

I kick myself every day for not doing it...

Ken

Reaction score
Twin, its OK man, no need to convince anyone. You have discovered some magic when a great digital preamp goes into an all tube power amp. It is not going to be for everyone. Let your tone do the talking.

I will never sell my wall of amps, in fact I may even get some more of the new Marshall's coming but they are more for fun now then for work.

Well, my Lotus has carbs and my amps have tubes and that's not going to change for me either anytime soon. But I'm just sayin'...our kids (or their kids) will all have SS amps and whine how we cling to our tubes like car guys cling to carbs.

Ken

nagha

Reaction score
Here's the rub:

As a player, YOU might notice it - but your audience WON'T! Professionals will readily admit that much.

As for the JMD, it's almost a perfect amp. If I could dial in things via USB on my computer/iPhone/iPad, it would be absolutely perfect. I absolutely love it and can't imagine that it isn't the near term future for Marshall.

Long term, it will all be digital and 99% of people won't notice or care. The 1% can and will decide that they want tubes.

anitoli

Reaction score
Well, my Lotus has carbs and my amps have tubes and that's not going to change for me either anytime soon. But I'm just sayin'...our kids (or their kids) will all have SS amps and whine how we cling to our tubes like car guys cling to carbs.

Ken

The whining stops when they actually get to play one and realize just what they are missing, or you embarrass the shit out of them in a jam session when all that fancy electronics cant compensate for real tube tone. :D

anitoli

Reaction score
Here's the rub:

As a player, YOU might notice it - but your audience WON'T! Professionals will readily admit that much.

As for the JMD, it's almost a perfect amp. If I could dial in things via USB on my computer/iPhone/iPad, it would be absolutely perfect. I absolutely love it and can't imagine that it isn't the near term future for Marshall.

Long term, it will all be digital and 99% of people won't notice or care. The 1% can and will decide that they want tubes.

If it truly will be 99% digital, then why even bother with a guitar? Just get a keyboard and be done with it. It's digital so it must be better at producing guitar tones than the real thing right.

Ken

Reaction score
The whining stops when they actually get to play one and realize just what they are missing, or you embarrass the shit out of them in a jam session when all that fancy electronics cant compensate for real tube tone. :D

That's where we're at now.

But you need to envision a SS amp that you yourself could play in a blind test with other tube amps, and you liked the SS best, not knowing which was which. That's the future of digital.

Ken

anitoli

Reaction score
That's where we're at now.

But you need to envision a SS amp that you yourself could play in a blind test with other tube amps, and you liked the SS best, not knowing which was which. That's the future of digital.

Ken
Yes the possibility definately exists.

But IMO on the side of serviceability tubes will win out. All you need to make a tube head is, resistors/pots, capacitors, diodes, tubes, x-formers, and any other readily available part i missed. But you lose one of those chips in a modeler and good luck finding one let alone getting a surfacemount chip with 96 pins off the board. :naughty:

It was this very same design idea that caused the issue with the 6100's as soon as the part became obsolete and the MGF stopped supplying it have fun. I see more of the same with alot of this modeling stuff.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score

Ani, WHAT we are and have been telling you point blank is that: You have NO CHANCE in HELL of embarrassing ANY JMD1 Owner with your ALL TUBE TONE. It does it in Spades.

Period. Believe it or not. Your loss our gain. ( more left for us owners if we want multiples)

Fortunately in the going on 3 years these amps have been out or is it 4? There have been little or no issues that I have heard of. Nuke could probably tell you if there are Any.

:cool::cool: TWIN

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
Hmmmm...... I have a whole bunch of Marshall's, Gonna sell most of them soon, gonna keep 3 , 6100 LE, Class 5 head and the JMD! Selling a 900 slx, Guitar center JCM 800, 800 KK, 6100 LM, DSL 100, TSL 100, MG and Mode 4 and a Mesa dual rec 3 channel.

All of them sound great..except MG..MEH. I really like the sound of the JMD, sounds great at low or high volumes. To those that don't like the JMD...to each their own.

JMD was the best $550 I've spent

Attachments

• Amps.jpg
    Amps.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 15

Ken

Reaction score
Yes the possibility definately exists.

But IMO on the side of serviceability tubes will win out. All you need to make a tube head is, resistors/pots, capacitors, diodes, tubes, x-formers, and any other readily available part i missed. But you lose one of those chips in a modeler and good luck finding one let alone getting a surfacemount chip with 96 pins off the board. :naughty:

It was this very same design idea that caused the issue with the 6100's as soon as the part became obsolete and the MGF stopped supplying it have fun. I see more of the same with alot of this modeling stuff.

Um, the weak point of tube amps are the TUBES! Yes you can swap them out but you have to admit a SS amp is MUCH more reliable and bullet proof.

Your point about replacement chips is missing the point: when SS amps rule, the chips will be widely available. I don't see a problem with the supply on any current production amp.
Your 6100 point IS well taken though. If companies want to ensure people will buy SS amps, parts must be available.

Just like there are only a few tube types for virtually all tube amps from all companies, I'm sure Marshall et. al. will use the same handful of chips. It's the programming that will distingusih brands just like today we all use the same tubes but have wildly different sounding amps due to their application.

Ken

SpiritOfTheAge

Reaction score
Hmmmm...... I have a whole bunch of Marshall's, Gonna sell most of them soon, gonna keep 3 , 6100 LE, Class 5 head and the JMD! Selling a 900 slx, Guitar center JCM 800, 800 KK, 6100 LM, DSL 100, TSL 100, MG and Mode 4 and a Mesa dual rec 3 channel.

All of them sound great..except MG..MEH. I really like the sound of the JMD, sounds great at low or high volumes. To those that don't like the JMD...to each their own.

Harlequin, you have obviously spent a lot of time and money on the amps you have. How do yo feel the digital pre amp of the JMD stacks up against the host of amps you are looking to off load?

Is it the case that the JMD does a lot things OK enough to not miss the amps you will sell or does it do a lot of things so well that there is no need to hold onto the other amps?

From my perspective I have no where near the amount of diversity in amps you have, but since I got the JMD I have no desire to use anything else, and the only reason I'm hanging onto my other 2 marshalls is because one is a mk3 900 combo that if I sell I will regret it later, and the other is a DSL 201 which is handy for taking to a mates for a jam.

Im not keeping them because they are able to produce superior tone to the JMD, in fact I far prefer the sounds I get out of the JMD.

Ideally i'd like to sell of the dsl 201 and get a JMD501 combo, but things are selling for peanuts at the moment so I'll probably just wait until a combo comes along at a decent price and snap it up.

Username2

Reaction score

Don't sell that Brass 6100, those should keep going up in value. I have one also #482

JayCM800

Reaction score

I'd be interested to peruse the price list as soon as you post it or make it available!