dimebags tone

• Thread starter jcm 2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcm 2000

Reaction score
can somebody help me try to find a cheap answer to find dime tone i have a heavy dist pedal but dont know what else to get
any help would be great

RachelMorgan

Reaction score
Be more specific. Amp? Your distortion pedal. Other stuff you have. Your axe.

MXR makes a Dimebag Distortion pedal. But is it a "Dimebag in a box?" I don't know.

I can get close with a JVM on OD2 Red with scooped mids. It also helps to have the same model Bill Lawrence pickups.

The best you're going to get is close.

ZoomZilla

Reaction score
Just use a solid state amp. dimebag's tone was awful. Well at least I think it was.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
Darrell used Randall solid state amps, Dean ML guitars, Bill Lawrence pickups to get that sound. While I liked Pantera when they were a club band (mid 80's before CFH and Phil Anselmo back when Darrell was called "Diamond Darrell") his tone is not one of my favorites. I would think one of the harsher metalzone type pedals and a compressor/sustainer pedal would do the trick though any decent pickup will make a similar sound.

serolF

Reaction score
Dimebags tone can be easily achieved with a Randall. I had a Randall Cyclone head which I sold just recently, only due to the fact that I had to choose between the Randall or a Marshall (the Marshall was more versatile).

However, the Randall's tone for rhythm was the heaviest I've ever heard, even heavier than my Marshall JCM. It was just a brutal , thick, edgy crunch. It had a monster sound for rhythm, but lacked for solos.

So, find yourself a Randall and you'll be in business. They can be had for relatively cheap on Ebay.

:headbanger:

spaceforlease

Reaction score
though he is an awesome guitarist... his tone is simply awful! get a real marshall tone!