Do is It a '81 LP standard?

• Thread starter Kuga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

El Gringo

Reaction score
It's just ridiculous! Even a set of PAF pickups from 60s people want like $1000 for.
Um.
No.....
Pickups are different as they are integral to the sound of the instrument along with the wood . Plastic is not integral . Way back in the early 90's there was formerly a vintage shop in my neck of the woods where I purchased a Martin and 2 Gibson's and a Fender amp . So one day I see a open coil Gibson pickup with black coils . I ask about and the owner tells me it's a Vintage PAF . I asked how much ? and was told 500 clams , which of course I didn't have laying around . I still kick myself to this very day fir not having the scratch for it . Even if I didn't like it I could still say I had an authentic vintage Gibson PAF pickup . Nowadays they are selling for crazy 4-5 digit prices .

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
It's just ridiculous! Even a set of PAF pickups from 60s people want like $1000 for.
Um.
No.....
I agree. I don't see how they are "x" amount of money better than today's pickups.

Better than say Wolfetone or the plethora of options we have today? Highly doubtful.

Truth is that nothing is better. Purely subjective. But these $1000 pickups make me wonder ..
Why?

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I agree , also around 79 or 80 I believe and please don't quote me is the volute also went away and good riddance . Even though Gibson reasoning was solid enough . As in the mid to late 60's on the pencil neck thin SG's lots and lots of headtsock /neck breaks cracks begin to really mount big time . I really hate the hyperbole of after a headtsock break that has been repaired the guitar is structuarly stronger . Yeah sure when pigs fly . That is pure marketing BS big time . I have seen them all going back to the local mom and pop shop that is gone ,from glued cracks to cracks repaired with nails for real and it' still junk to me and I would avoid like the plague . I mean to each there own , but strucarly stronger really ? I mean to heck with the intonation and playability right ?

The volute was definitely gone by 1983. I had a 1982 V2 and it had the volute. I own a 1982 flying v which does not have a volute.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Pickups are different as they are integral to the sound of the instrument along with the wood . Plastic is not integral . Way back in the early 90's there was formerly a vintage shop in my neck of the woods where I purchased a Martin and 2 Gibson's and a Fender amp . So one day I see a open coil Gibson pickup with black coils . I ask about and the owner tells me it's a Vintage PAF . I asked how much ? and was told 500 clams , which of course I didn't have laying around . I still kick myself to this very day fir not having the scratch for it . Even if I didn't like it I could still say I had an authentic vintage Gibson PAF pickup . Nowadays they are selling for crazy 4-5 digit prices .
Will they sound miles above the current pickups? I think not.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Will they sound miles above the current pickups? I think not.
Plus real PAFs were all over the place in specs and sound. Some were surely superior and some were surely subpar.

Duane Allman had a set he transfered from guitar to guitar when he traded or sold guitars. If they all sounded the same or as good as his go to pair, he wouldn't have needed to do that.

I have a set of boutique clones that sound great. ($150 20 years ago.) Do they sound like somebody's ideal? Probably not, but they work for me. Dimarzio 36ths sound very good, probably better than most, and have more output.

Deftone

Reaction score
SOLD for 610€.
$654 USD? That's a steal.

I agree , also around 79 or 80 I believe and please don't quote me is the volute also went away and good riddance . Even though Gibson reasoning was solid enough . As in the mid to late 60's on the pencil neck thin SG's lots and lots of headtsock /neck breaks cracks begin to really mount big time . I really hate the hyperbole of after a headtsock break that has been repaired the guitar is structuarly stronger . Yeah sure when pigs fly . That is pure marketing BS big time . I have seen them all going back to the local mom and pop shop that is gone ,from glued cracks to cracks repaired with nails for real and it' still junk to me and I would avoid like the plague . I mean to each there own , but strucarly stronger really ? I mean to heck with the intonation and playability right ?
My '79 LPC has a maple neck and a volute. I don't know why people don't like the volute...I like it. It certainly doesn't bother me. And I love the maple neck. I think they should all have maple necks. It's much stronger than Mahogany and stays in tune better, IMHO.

If I had to complain about anything regarding my '79 LPC it would be the weight. 10+ lbs. I use a 4" wide padded leather strap and that helps a lot. The frets are low too and it has a dome top...no real carve it's more of a dome. That beast sounds killer though.

Kuga

Reaction score
Yeah! If I had knew that will be easy install tunematic and install stop tail piece I would have raised the bid. You can see It on AlvisX shared pic. The hole doesn't bother me. The info arrived late. It's a shame. :sad:

Exp WIP_zpswl5hfiwe.jpg

El Gringo

Reaction score

My '79 LPC has a maple neck and a volute. I don't know why people don't like the volute...I like it. It certainly doesn't bother me. And I love the maple neck. I think they should all have maple necks. It's much stronger than Mahogany and stays in tune better, IMHO.

If I had to complain about anything regarding my '79 LPC it would be the weight. 10+ lbs. I use a 4" wide padded leather strap and that helps a lot. The frets are low too and it has a dome top...no real carve it's more of a dome. That beast sounds killer though.
Exactly, As many crack on the Norlin era Gibson's , the tone is superb and they are beasts built to rock . Pure and simple . My LPC comes in just shy of 10lbs . Heck what did I know growing up except I wanted a Gibson Les Paul . I couldn't afford a vintage Sunburst 59 like Jimmy Page , but I could afford the Gibson Les Paul Custom , just like Joe Perry .

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Exactly, As many crack on the Norlin era Gibson's , the tone is superb and they are beasts built to rock . Pure and simple . My LPC comes in just shy of 10lbs . Heck what did I know growing up except I wanted a Gibson Les Paul . I couldn't afford a vintage Sunburst 59 like Jimmy Page , but I could afford the Gibson Les Paul Custom , just like Joe Perry .

This!!

The fact is that there were some dud Gibson's made in the '70's. But there were also some absolute gems made in the Norlin years as well.

Norlin Flying V's and Explorer's are pricey now. There has to be something to that. The ones I've tried have been awesome.

Even the Norlin era acoustics that are frequently dogged on had some gems in the line. I have a '73 Gibson Gospel that is a stellar sounding guitar. I also played an early '70's J50 that was really dead sounding.

All guitars gotta be taken on a case by case basis. Regardless of brand. I still say people miss out on decent guitars by believing everything on the internet rather than actually playing them.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
This!!

The fact is that there were some dud Gibson's made in the '70's. But there were also some absolute gems made in the Norlin years as well.

Norlin Flying V's and Explorer's are pricey now. There has to be something to that. The ones I've tried have been awesome.

Even the Norlin era acoustics that are frequently dogged on had some gems in the line. I have a '73 Gibson Gospel that is a stellar sounding guitar. I also played an early '70's J50 that was really dead sounding.

All guitars gotta be taken on a case by case basis. Regardless of brand. I still say people miss out on decent guitars by believing everything on the internet rather than actually playing them.
Yeah I agree fully!! As I mentioned my 76 Custom is awesome for me as is the 73 Deluxe. Different flavours!

I still say people miss out on decent guitars by believing everything on the internet rather than actually playing them.
Man, isn't that the truth?? Play your guitars!!

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Yeah I agree fully!! As I mentioned my 76 Custom is awesome for me as is the 73 Deluxe. Different flavours!

Man, isn't that the truth?? Play your guitars!!

Years ago, I tried out a '78 Les Paul Custom in natural with the maple neck. I absolutely loved it. I would have bought it if I had the funds.

The owner of the shop also told me that one the gems of the shop tonally was a '73(?) deluxe modded for humbuckers.

I like the big headstock, the block logo, the neck shape. I think the right Norlin has a cool factor about it. Way cheaper than the '50's or '60's stuff as well.

Best Gibson I ever tried was a '69 335. It just sang.

And not to mention, I think Randy Rhoades made pretty awesome music on his '74 Les Paul custom!

A '73 Deluxe and a '76 Custom would be awesome to own! Enjoy them!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Years ago, I tried out a '78 Les Paul Custom in natural with the maple neck. I absolutely loved it. I would have bought it if I had the funds.

The owner of the shop also told me that one the gems of the shop tonally was a '73(?) deluxe modded for humbuckers.

I like the big headstock, the block logo, the neck shape. I think the right Norlin has a cool factor about it. Way cheaper than the '50's or '60's stuff as well.

Best Gibson I ever tried was a '69 335. It just sang.

And not to mention, I think Randy Rhoades made pretty awesome music on his '74 Les Paul custom!

A '73 Deluxe and a '76 Custom would be awesome to own! Enjoy them!
Cheers!
The 76 is an under the bed closet guitar, almost completely mint. The 73, I was looking for a Goldie (cause they show wear well) that actually LOOKED 50 years old!

YJXILLx.jpg

wjycED9.jpg

El Gringo

Reaction score
This!!

Big time agree . As the old saying goes you can't judge a book by it's cover and the same thing goes for Norlin era Gibson guitars .

Latest posts