Do you use an EQ in your rig?

• Thread starter Macro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I...

• Use an EQ pedal out in front of th amp

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Use an EQ pedal in the FX loop

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Don't use an EQ pedal at all

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Just want to see everyone else's answers

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters

dptone5

Reaction score
Monte Allums modded Boss GE-7 in the loop. Quiet as can be.

Great solo boost and does a great job tone shaping if required.

DP

kebek

Reaction score
JCM900 DR with a MXR 10 band EQ is a must in the loop!!!

Bigmuff

Reaction score
I'm just the opposite. I set the eq on my DSL's clean channel, then I have a looper pedal that switches to the dirty channel and adds the eq pedal to the loop

What pedal are you using to do this? That would be handy but I'm not sure how you arranged it.

Macro

Reaction score
The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
About 50/50 roughly. Interesting. I'm still thinking about ditching it. As much as I like the idea of having it in the toolbox should I get the urge to screw around with it, I kinda want the cash more. Part of me likes th ability to shape the tone, part of me thinks a pedal just gets in the way of tone.

samiam

Reaction score
Running a EQ first in the FX loop just for some minor tone sculpting (seemed to work better there than up front). Here's my entire rig
rig_zpsnahjlebr.jpg

Cold Warrior

Reaction score
I used a DOD 6-band EQ in front of my old 800, mostly for a gain boost, but subtle EQ spike.

Sadly, I didn't discover the mighty MXR 10-band until after I had already sold the 800. I bought the MXR just for the heck of it, but don't really need it with my current amps....

Macro

Reaction score
The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
I officially am out of the EQ pedal game for now. Boxed up the MXR and have it up for auction now. I don't think I'll ever achieve my 'graile tone' because I constantly change my mind about what it should be, but I think I've figured out that an EQ isn't a major part of it.

Right now I am getting all the parts of the audible spectrum in looking for...my tone chasing now is more about achieving the right gain and the right pickup winding and less about equalization.

I'll probably regret selling this pedal, and some day I'll probably buy it again :)
For now I'd rather put the money toward other desires.

Easton55

Reaction score
Another question after reading this post and replies. How many have used one, and then stopped? Virtually everyone I have known who plays has used one, but I have never added or even tried one myself. Always kind of wondered if it was a mistake, but basing a lot on my having added eqs' to stereos I've had, and pretty much always regretting it, I never put one into the guitar setup. I always ended up playing around with them too much and hated the sound after. Anyone else?

Coronado

Reaction score
I have an MXR 10 band that sits somewhere near my other pedals. I used it a couple times, but just found myself futzing with it for no good reason. Too thick, then too thin, then too much gain, then too loud, etc... Pulled it out of the chain and its been sitting there for over a year now. Maybe I'm boring - I guess I'm just happy with the basic treb/bass/mid/presence.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find them more useful as a solo boost in the amps loop. Here is where fine tuning can be more effective. I used them exclusively for solo's when gigging.

Otherwise my 10 band gets little to no use currently although eventually I'll use it for a different sound at sometime or another.

Bull Rock

Reaction score
Guitar>cord>amp for me. Couple pedals in the loop, but I like the less is more thing and just prefer nothing between the guitar and amp. If I was pro level touring, I'm sure I'd have one out front and prob in the loop too though. But for just bashing around local bars I'm happy with no eq.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guitar>cord>amp for me. Couple pedals in the loop, but I like the less is more thing and just prefer nothing between the guitar and amp. If I was pro level touring, I'm sure I'd have one out front and prob in the loop too though. But for just bashing around local bars I'm happy with no eq.

Straight in is everything it needs to be at times. Been doing this with a p!exi and the interplay between this simple set up feels and sounds so good.:yesway:

Bull Rock

Reaction score
Straight in is everything it needs to be at times. Been doing this with a p!exi and the interplay between this simple set up feels and sounds so good.:yesway:

Ya man! Agreed 100%. Too much stuff to piss around with ruins the fun and tone sometimes lol. All I have is a flashback mini and LPB-1 in the loop. Simple, versitile and effective. The volume knob on the guitar is your friend and the SD CC in my bridge is a rock n roll machine. Less is def more. \m/

alhayesmusic

Reaction score
I don't use one all the time, but when I do it's a 31 band Yamaha rack eq. It wakes up the tonez!