• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Do Your Friends/family Come To Your Shows?

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
As some of you know, I am in a two piece rock comedy band. We are at that bottom of the barrel local level where no one knows you or cares that you exist. Worst is that it's impossible or nearly so to even get people we KNOW (friends, colleagues) to come. Like even just once. I get that you're not gonna come every time, but just the once would be appreciated.

"Maybe your band sucks."

No, I daresay we put on an entertaining show, the songs are catchy, and we play 'em good.

You guys in original bands experienced the same?

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Honestly? No.

My family, now they were always there, but that's just how they are. My dad, his girl, grandfather, wife. They were pretty much always there, but friends? Nah. Even ones who I played our music for and they said it was awesome, tell them there is a show, they say great! I'll be there! Show up with a ticket for them and suddenly something else is going on.

Kinda sucks but that's how it was for me, even our $5 shows couldn't get people to come.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
As some of you know, I am in a two piece rock comedy band. We are at that bottom of the barrel local level where no one knows you or cares that you exist. Worst is that it's impossible or nearly so to even get people we KNOW (friends, colleagues) to come. Like even just once. I get that you're not gonna come every time, but just the once would be appreciated.
It's not you, it's them. It's people in general. Everyone is into social networking, but no one is actually into being social. I mean, your band may indeed suck, I don't know, but that's not why no one goes. If no one knows you anyway then how can they think you suck? People just aren't that interested in seeing local nobody live music - even friends and family.

mirrorman

Reaction score
Back in the '80s when I was more serious about being a rock star, I would pretty much agree that, generally, friends and family did not attend my gigs. There was a core of three or four maybe that would regularly show up but that would be about it. Nowadays, all of my current band's gigs are for friends and family...birthday party, long weekend party, sports team party, or just wanna have a party. They are all private functions now so if no friends or family showed up, we'd be having a rehearsal not a gig!

Last edited:

el_bastardo

Reaction score
My wife hates the fact that I'm ina band. My friends are to lazy to attend.
Kind of the same here. My wife doesn't hate it, but she doesn't have much interest in it. And I'm cool with that. She never gives me any grief whatsoever about me having a rock and roll hobby, so we're all good. She never comes to my shows. My non-musician friends don't have any interest either. I don't even bother telling them.

Honestly, I don't want anyone to come to a show just because I'm in it and have some kind of relationship with the attendees. My friends and family will be who they are to me whether I'm in a band or not, so they don't need to come "support" me. If someone wants to come hang out for the social aspect of it, awesome, come hang out with me. But I certainly don't feel that anyone is obligated to come see me play. I really don't care.

kinleyd

Reaction score
I would like my family and friends to show up for my gigs... one day when I can actually play. :D

liontato

Reaction score
I never market the band amongst my friends. A few find out and show up. My wife comes once a year with the kids. She doesn't care for the band or me being in it honestly. When she comes she is impressed as we play well and work hard. She's very complementary but won't be back for a year. I take that back. She came twice last year. Most of the time I think my existence is irritating to her! We play 50-60's rock and roll. So the "chicks" who come to see us have one foot in the grave and the other on a bar of soap! LOL! But they have money. That age comes for fun and enjoys it. I keep telling the guys we need to move up a decade to the 70's. Nope. No doin'. I would love to move into the 70's era.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
We let our friends know and usually quite a few show up - to support us, sure, but they like the shows or they'd find an excuse next time! It's nice to have people you know show up and give a shit. Maybe I have good friends???:D
The wife comes sometimes if there's someone to hang with. She HAS been to soooo many shows over the last 12 years...

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
Interesting.

I guess my next question is how passionate are you/how much do you care about the musical/performance aspect of your life (knowing that many of us make no money at this), which ties into how much does it insult you when they don't come?

Personally we talked about doing this for about 14 years before we finally did it. We met in college and were radio/tv/film students together, worked on a mockumentary project together about musicians where we wrote songs for the characters/soundtrack, and had talked about performing those songs live since then. Got caught up having a family and pursuing filmmaking (spoiler alert, we're not famous) through our twenties and mid 30s, got frustrated with that world and somehow a few years ago became the right time for this. So it's a BIG deal to us to finally take these songs (and new ones written throughtout the intervening years) live.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
Interesting.

I guess my next question is how passionate are you/how much do you care about the musical/performance aspect of your life (knowing that many of us make no money at this), which ties into how much does it insult you when they don't come?

I'm very serious about not taking it very seriously.

kinleyd

Reaction score
I'm actually very serious about achieving a level of skill at which those in the vicinity will objectively appreciate it and I'd have spread a bit of cheer. If i become so good that women start disrobing spontaneously, well, I shall appreciate that too. :D

I will be heartbroken if I learn that I've become a public nuisance!

I realize both are possibilities but will give it my best shot.

Last edited:

Sir Don

Reaction score
Not mine, although they did see a lot of gigs I did in the 1980's. They're all getting too old now, rather stay home in slippers and dressing gown, in bed by 10.00pm.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
My wife hates the fact that I'm ina band. My friends are to lazy to attend.
"Sweetheart, I'll be home late this Thursday; we're playing a small gig after work..."

splashmountain.jpg

Derek S

Reaction score
Yes! But that's because my shows these days are at home lol....family and friends get treated to performances all the time haha (couch seating is primo and usually first to fill but the new futon is becoming a premium spot as well). :lol:

Gianni

Reaction score
I'm actually very serious about achieving a level of skill at which those in the vicinity will objectively appreciate it and I'd have spread a bit of cheer. If i become so good that women start disrobing spontaneously, well, I shall appreciate that too. :D

RightOn.gif

Latest posts