DSL Combos

• Thread starter nailer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nailer

Reaction score
Hi everyone - new to this forum but not to Marshall's. Been playing them exclusively for 30+ years. Awesome amps as y'all know!
I play the blues in a semi working band with Les Pauls through a circa 2000 DSl 401 and DSL 201
Here's my current question: Although my 2 stock DSL's sound just fine for the most part, I am not getting a fat enough tone from my high E string. I use the clean channel with a Boss Blues Driver as I don't want a distorted tone. I'm striving for the old Clapton/Bluesbreaker tone and get pretty close with the above exception. It's not the guitars as they are either old LP's or R8's, and the strings are handmade. So, hmmm...

A few years ago I would've thought about getting another amp, but being a Contractor in SoCal in this economy makes that unlikely.....

So , ideas - Any easy, cheap mods that I can try? Or should I just wait until I can get something better, maybe an older combo amp?

Thanks!

rjohns1

Reaction score
Maybe your pickups need adjusted? Maybe try a different string gauge? Also, how old are you tubes? You could have a tube that is microphonic and is canceling out the notes in that range (I'm stretching for suggestions here, but hey, who knows?).

JohnH

Reaction score
I like the clean cahnnel on these amps very much. For a tone tweak, how about an EQ pedal in the loop? Ive been puting my Zoom G2 processor there and just using it for EQ and extra reverb, but a pedal unit should also work. If you are not doing other things in the loop, just set it to add the frequencies you want and cut everything else, then mix in this extra using the amp FX knob to control the parallel loop.

khan

Reaction score
My first thought would have been to play around w/ low string side pickup adjustments. I'd also look at String height. If you've got 'em low as can go, come up a bit, at least on the low side. You'd be surprised how dramatically the differences will play out. I know I was. At least, this won't cost you anything to try. I really "opened" up my dynamic range when I raised my strings just a tiny bit and adjusted the p/u height. I also occasionally dial all of my tone controls to zero and go through an EQ process just with those. That way, as the tubes change over their lifetime, you can adjust your tonal settings to stay in the sweet spot of the tone you're looking for. In general, I start with the cheapest "fix" first. If you've already gone through these steps then my apologies for the redundancy. If you're just looking for some justification to get a new amp...GET A NEW AMP DAMNIT! :) There. Feel better?
Good luck finding the tone your'e looking for.

Just an afterthought, what kind of shape are the nut and the bridge saddles in? If they need to be cleaned up (filed, etc.) might be robbing you of some tonality.

nailer

Reaction score
I like the clean cahnnel on these amps very much. For a tone tweak, how about an EQ pedal in the loop? Ive been puting my Zoom G2 processor there and just using it for EQ and extra reverb, but a pedal unit should also work. If you are not doing other things in the loop, just set it to add the frequencies you want and cut everything else, then mix in this extra using the amp FX knob to control the parallel loop.

Thank for the idea. I'm usually a purist, straight in - straight out for me. But if this would do the trick, I'm all ears!

nailer

Reaction score
Maybe your pickups need adjusted? Maybe try a different string gauge? Also, how old are you tubes? You could have a tube that is microphonic and is canceling out the notes in that range (I'm stretching for suggestions here, but hey, who knows?).

The tubes are original. what tubes would be suggested for the tone I'm seeking?

nailer

Reaction score
My first thought would have been to play around w/ low string side pickup adjustments. I'd also look at String height. If you've got 'em low as can go, come up a bit, at least on the low side. You'd be surprised how dramatically the differences will play out. I know I was. At least, this won't cost you anything to try. I really "opened" up my dynamic range when I raised my strings just a tiny bit and adjusted the p/u height. I also occasionally dial all of my tone controls to zero and go through an EQ process just with those. That way, as the tubes change over their lifetime, you can adjust your tonal settings to stay in the sweet spot of the tone you're looking for. In general, I start with the cheapest "fix" first. If you've already gone through these steps then my apologies for the redundancy. If you're just looking for some justification to get a new amp...GET A NEW AMP DAMNIT! :) There. Feel better?
Good luck finding the tone your'e looking for.

Just an afterthought, what kind of shape are the nut and the bridge saddles in? If they need to be cleaned up (filed, etc.) might be robbing you of some tonality.

Thanks for the ideas. My nut & bridge saddle are fine, and I am a higher string guy anyway (lots of bending) I will try your other suggestions, they sound good. And yes you may be onto something with the "Get A New Amp" concept :naughty: