DSL players : what overdrive pedal are you using?

EndGame00

Reaction score
The DSL has a lot of gain on tap... I was already pulling the dial down below 4 when I played one.... Perhaps you need a clean boost to tighten things up?

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
The DSL has a lot of gain on tap... I was already pulling the dial down below 4 when I played one.... Perhaps you need a clean boost to tighten things up?

in my opinion, using overdrive pedals with high gain amps is not to add extra gain. its to add extra sustain, more harmonic richness, and some extra attack definition & juicier mids.

Eddie van Damon

Reaction score
The ultimate overdrive experience ...

hot-tubes-70-albums-onfloor-audio-pedals-picture9476-dsc05052.jpg

This all you will ever need!! Trust me!

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
zapumotmyo9loj1vgher.jpg

When I borrowed a DSL for a while I was using my Blakemore Mustang OD, it puts most of the tubescreamers I've heard to shame

riefil

Reaction score
I love my xotic pedals BB preamp. As others have said using it on the Classic channel, not needed on the Ultra.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
RambleFX Marvel Drive on the Green Clean with amp gain dimed for looser vintage tones.

L2 nothing pushing it. I use low gain here to get another ballsier tighter flavor of classic rock to hard rock tones.

I use my MXR 108 EQ to further shape tone mostly in the mids.

Roll off to cleans with both versions above.

flyfish-mt

Reaction score
I've always used a Boss SD-1 to drive my Marshalls (2554 Jub, Studio 15, SL5) and currently my DSL40C with great results. However, I'm going to try a handful before settling. I just picked up a Bad Monkey off ebay for cheap and will also try a Fulldrive, Joyo, OCD, TS, SHO, etc. and see which one(s) stays on my board. I try to buy them used for a price in which I can break even if I don't care for them.

JohnH

Reaction score
I'm currently checking out my new Boss Od1-x and comparing it to my Od3 and Bad Monkey.

So far, this Od1-x seems to tick all boxes. The control format is the same as the BM with volume, bass, treble and drive controls. But the range and clarity is vastly superior. Its like 'open your eyes', 'unplug your ears', 'clean the windows' and 'take the blankets off' in comparison.

The Od3 is still a very good pedal for what it does. The Od1-x has a much more versatile range of good drive sounds, and more versatile tone control. But I'm still deciding between the two of them for the core low to medium crunch with minimal mid boost or scoop, which is where I usually go.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
^^^ this. Also as far as front end boost, all I currently have is a Bad Monkey, I like the 2 way EQ settings on it. No gain but level pished near top, amp on green crunch. Can back off volume a tad without boost for clean enough, put OD on for screaming crunch channel, and use lead 1 with low gain for leads. Plus above and you have a very versatile amp. Will be betting a custom OF audio OD soon enough!

Adrian R

Reaction score
Maxon 808 or Fulltone 2 to gig with and SD1 for practice/rehearsal.

Hell yeah man...the 808 is cool until you try the FD2..which imo blows away the Maxon...The SD1 I tried cut to much tone and created to much noise...I could only get one setting out of it in where it was actually boosting the amp nicely..but only with it's special nuance and noise...

The FD2 is absolutely transparent..totally cool...

minerman

Reaction score
I use a Boss SD-1 for a clean boost to tighten up the low end on the green crunch channel, & add just a hair more gain....Same on OD1....I also use the Bogner Ecstasty Red through the clean channel, it kinda gives me another channel on my DSL100....But, I don't gig, & only do the recording thing...

Honestly though, I think the DSL100 has enough gain IMO, once you open up the volume a little....Using the od pedals just adds different flavors for a little variation of the tone(s) for me....

flyfish-mt

Reaction score
I just picked up a Bad Monkey and compared it to my SD-1 on the front end of my DSL. I feel that the SD-1 sounded a bit warmer and had a bit more growl. I'm going to try out a few additional overdrive pedals as they come my way.

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
what?? of course there's a difference. haven't you played both before? a distortion pedal is really meant to be its own source of distortion played with an amp's clean channel, where as an overdrive pedal can be either played with the clean channel to add a little boost & grit, or it can be used with an amp's gain channel, to tighten up the amp's distortion and add some sustain, and harmonic richness.

Maybe he is using the DS-1 as a distortion, he did say his setting are on half, maybe the gain is too.

Beside, there are no rules in this thing we call sound, if it works for you do it.

DanTheMan228

Reaction score
I throw a boss combo drive in front of my dsl100 as a boost for leads so I can squeeze harmonics out easier. Its a British AC styled pedal so it compliments the Marshall by adding a little more high end to the gain. It also has a knob that you can set to clean and you can either put it in the gain channel to bring it down to a crunch or put it through the clean channel to make it sound like a vox!

DarrenTD

Reaction score
I might give a Fulldrive a try. Anybody given one a stab?

Been using a Fulldrive 2 as my go-to boost/od since the mid 90's. Tried numerous other pedals over the years and still have an SD-1, BB PRe, OCD, etc, but nothing compares to the clarity and feel of the FD2 for me. I've used it with Marshalls, Boogies, Diezels, Bogners, Blackstars, Egnaters, etc., and it just works great! I've even had good results using it in front of Modelers. :yesway: