DSL - What Channels do you use most often.

• Thread starter ics1974
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What channels do you use most often?

• Total voters

ics1974

Reaction score
ok cool glad it wasnt amp problem :)

i cant ever use the green channel, it just sounds boggy to me no matter how i adjust the eqs. though once the amp gets really loud the crunch at 5 on the gain is pretty wall pounding.

I do like the green channels as well if you turn the gain down to about 5 or 6, as it makes it less boomy. With the gain on 10 there is way to much boom for my taste. Clean channel with gain on 6 is really nice for arpeggiated chord type songs. If I boost the clean channel I can get some nice blues tones as well. My red lead 1 just sounds like a better version of the green crunch with more gain so I don't see much use for the crunch channel anymore.

billdncn

Reaction score
I guess I spend most of my time on Lead-1 with gain on 6 and boost with a Keeley SD-1. To me the green and red channel are far from each other in the EQ department. If I find a good tone on lead-1, the Green chl. is to bassy and boomy...... But I'm playing in a band now so it's no big deal.

Ken

Reaction score
ok cool glad it wasnt amp problem :)

i cant ever use the green channel, it just sounds boggy to me no matter how i adjust the eqs. though once the amp gets really loud the crunch at 5 on the gain is pretty wall pounding.

Don't you ever noodle at home on it and play stuff like the Monkees or some finger picking stuff? I love doing that on 'clean' and the gain on like 4. But I'm weird...! In spite of being a rock/metal guy, I also enjoy playing arund with clean tones for fun as well as for practice, as it forces me to pay more attention. Although I'm not using the green a whole lot with the band; mostly I use it for the few covers we do.

Ken

Ken

Reaction score
I'm surprised Red Lead 1 is the leader...or maybe not really since it's where I live for the majority of my playing. It's got the 800 vibe with the clarity along with way more drive, and when you get it all balanced with the guitar, EQ and personal style, it's the best DSL tone IMHO. It says "Marshall".

Ken

Brewski

Reaction score
I voted for Lead 2 Red but this is because i use the scoop switch and set the gain to 7 to get a good tone.

I have a DSL100 and miss my DSL50

thrawn86

Reaction score
201 and 401 DSL's (which are the black sheep of the DSL fam) don't have the same configuration for channels, so I'll vote accordingly. We have Green (clean), Yellow (crunch/OD1) and Red (OD2). My time is definitely on Red/OD2 the most, but it's a close second with the Green channel. I also utilize the Green for some of my effects (like the amps in my multi pedal). Yellow has a nice crunch to it, more classic rock sounding if anything.

So I say option #4 for my high gain fix. DSL's rock.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
I don't own a DSL, but I tried them quite often cranked up at shops.Crunch green was my favourite. Lead 1 wasn't too bad either.

Nebulozny

Reaction score
One day I feel like smashing things around with lead 1 pushed by SD-1, another day I smooth out on green crunch and play some blues...

It's a different sound every day to me.

One thig remains the same, this amp makes me smile every time I play it.

11111111111x.jpg

Mid Life Crisis

Reaction score
I actually use Green Crunch for clean, but just at the point of breakup. That way if I pick hard I can get a bit of crunch but it'll otherwise be clean, but a nice fat clean compared to the Green Clean. On some numbers I'll use a Bad Monkey with this set up if I need extra dirt for solos.

I use Red 1 on three songs (I think) that my band plays, with a Les Paul on Tush and Hard To Handle and a Strat on Jesus Just Left Chicago.

CMC

Reaction score
I just brought my DSL100 home about 5 hours ago.

Oh. My. God.

My main amp for years has been an '82 JCM800 2204. And I am still in love with that rig.

But, I have been having all kinds of fun with this DSL100 today. I am so impressed with this thing.

Anyway, in my whole 5 hours of experimenting with it so far, I REALLY like the Red Channel, "Lead 1", with gain on about 3, and master about 3 or 4. It's like my 800 with a little more gain. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet:dude::dude::dude:

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just brought my DSL100 home about 5 hours ago.

Oh. My. God.

My main amp for years has been an '82 JCM800 2204. And I am still in love with that rig.

But, I have been having all kinds of fun with this DSL100 today. I am so impressed with this thing.

Anyway, in my whole 5 hours of experimenting with it so far, I REALLY like the Red Channel, "Lead 1", with gain on about 3, and master about 3 or 4. It's like my 800 with a little more gain. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet:dude::dude::dude:

These are the stories I love to hear! Congrats. And the rest of you, you all know I love hearing your posts as well!

CMC here was a straight up 2204 guy and is loving the DSL! Awesome.

I did the Clean Crunch Footswitch mod right away when I got this amp, so it is a bit different for me as I can access the two Green modes and the Red channel by footswitch when playing live. And of course the C12 removal was a must.

I have used my DSL100 for only a handful of gigs so far and I am all over the three modes of Clean, Crunch and Lead 1. I will set the Lead 2 sometimes to footswitch over to when I need that extreme saturated singing sustain.

I put my Green Gain at aprox. 6 to 7 and my Red Gain at 6. I have been setting up a boost pedal up front as well to multiply the options for all three modes. My Tube Screamer TS9DX in TS9 mode is a great match. And my Clean mode even sounds fantastic when hitting it with pedals.

So I can't vote just yet - but I am leaning towards Lead 1 as that mode is Hot Rodded 2203 all the way. And I can stay in that mode and roll back my guitar volume if needed . . .

Hamohapic

Reaction score
Green channel only, vol at 1 o'clock and gain at 12 o'clock.

For Dirt, i kick in OCD overdrive. I did a gig Halloween gig on Saturday and i got a lot of complements from the crowed.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've been sticking to the green crunch channel between 3-5 on the gain due to the eq and using various pedals on it for more gain. But lately I've been experimenting with red lead1 and found it fattens up at gain 6, and even more recently red lead2 set with low gain about 2-4 is getting me some classic tones. I've had this amp for almost a year and still find myself reading about it and trying new settings. I just recently had solder joints fixed and power tubes replaced with JJ E34L, I think the tubes made it sound better. Now I'm planning a new cab with a different speaker configuration.

So for now my vote is green crunch channel. And I'm becoming interested in this C12 mod.....