• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

DSL100HR has too much gain... whaddya mean??

• Thread starter Caca_Spaniel_123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trouble Free

Reaction score
But people tend to be about as sharp as the spoon in the shed, and wtf is there a spoon in the shed for in the first place??!

surprised you don't know.

tenor.gif

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
It means there is a false sense of range on the gain dial. Imagine if you had a Marshall and everything after 3 was potentially mud and definitely after 6. Wouldn't you sort of wonder why they didn't give you more room to tweak where you want to be, rather than a hairs breath?
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
It's all about useable gain.
The 40CR/100HR amps have useable gain on the OD2 channel up to about halfway on the dial.
After that, with humbuckers, you start into mush territory.
Singles may allow you to get further, but a Marshall is supposed to go up to TEN (whether you intend to use it or not).

This is one of the reasons for trying the unequal triode ECC823 in V1.
You gain (no pun intended) about one more notch on the OD channels Gain dial until the mush.

But the key is less gain and more OD pedal with the new DSLs if you want crisp, raucous chuggery.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
It's all about useable gain.
The 40CR/100HR amps have useable gain on the OD2 channel up to about halfway on the dial.
After that, with humbuckers, you start into mush territory.
Singles may allow you to get further, but a Marshall is supposed to go up to TEN (whether you intend to use it or not).

This is one of the reasons for trying the unequal triode ECC823 in V1.
You gain (no pun intended) about one more notch on the OD channels Gain dial until the mush.

But the key is less gain and more OD pedal with the new DSLs if you want crisp, raucous chuggery.
I have been asking around how people use the EVH 5150IIIs red channel, and basically, it's a lead channel used for solos. So instead of kicking on the overdrive, you channel switch to the red, do your solo, and then go back to the blue. The blue is crushing enough, and I have asked how people use that if it is too much gain and the reply I got was that they turn down their guitar volume to try and get a rock tone from it.

I did some eight-string Drop B on it last week (messing up my thumb for a week after because of stretching and just back playing today), and the highest I could go was 10 o'clock on the red, and it was still mushing out a bit.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That poor kid...lookit that face!...obviously allergic to soup.

And in more pertinent news:
I get it about the bizarre tapers of some pots they install in amps...some of my old amps have volume knobs that go from zero to melt-yer-face-off by the time you're dialed to "1"

Just change pots if you don't like the taper. It takes less time than changing a pickup on your guitar, or lamenting over it in an innerwebz forum!

Reaction score
That’s a great amp you owned back then man, what ever happened to it?

People love those vintage amps because they sound great, with or without pedals. You’re right that they’re not high gain amps, but they have plenty of gain for Classic Rock, and some heavier stuff.

I think lots of players prefer the tone and character of a Jmp, the same with 800s, (2203 and 2204), 1959, 1987, and Jtm’s.

They all have that vintage Marshall tone that many Classic Rock bands had back then, they’re some of the same amps they actually used.
Believe it or not, I bought it through my local, small guitar store for exactly $500.00. The owner, who I trusted at the time (store is long since closed) told me not to trust the tubes in the amp. He knew the person selling it and had them ship it to his store for me to buy. He said too many things can go wrong if something happened to the tubes while in transit. I bought a complete set of Groove Tubes for $100. I remember they came in a clear plastic tube. I kept the amp for 2-3 years and since I wasn't playing out anymore at the time (just out of college), I sold it back to the dealer for the same $500. I really wish I had stronger will power and advice to keep that amp!!! I'd still have it. I'm still looking for better pictures of the amp. I played it through 2 4x12 cabs I built out of plywood the same 29 1/2" square size of the Marshall cabs in the store. Played it through Radio Shack Musical Instrument speakers. So I know now it would have sounded better through better speakers. That's why I'm acquiring the Marshall cabs while I'm waiting for this to amp to arrive.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I do think though, that... when you get a multi-channel amp & turn the gain down, on a dirty channel, the tone gets weak, vs, when you turn the knob down on a 1 channel amp. The channel can become uninspiring & just awful sounding...

That's supposed to be why amp's have 3 channels, so you can get a full bandwidth, even between clean, dirt & lead. If you have a channel designed for less gain & can run it more full, it will sound more full (breadth).

There's ways to remedy it all, if you're intuitive enough.