Dsl1h Or Something Else To Get 'closer' To Zakk Tone

• Thread starter EagleX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EagleX

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a beginner and I wish to have your advice on low watt heads. Up to now my options include DSL1H, HT1RH, Micro Terror and Micro Dark. But I don't know which one suits my need. And I'm open to any other suggestions.

For $450 or less I wish to get something 'closer' to zakk tone (e.g. mr crowley, farewell ballad, both lead and riff). I know it's not possible to make a similar tone so i just wish it's 'closer'. BTW I don't use any pedal. And I gonna get a cheap 4x12 cab.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

AlanH

Reaction score
You also need effects. Get as big or as small a high gain Marshall valve amp as you like and follow the pedal tips in the video below....

EagleX

Reaction score
You also need effects. Get as big or as small a high gain Marshall valve amp as you like and follow the pedal tips in the video below....

Thank you but it's hard for me to set up pedals (with a toddler in a tiny, messy apt). I still prefer to use amp only. It's no way for me to get 'that closer'. So... I just wish it's 'the closest one' among all these cheap amps.

AlanH

Reaction score
Thank you but it's hard for me to set up pedals (with a toddler in a tiny, messy apt). I still prefer to use amp only. It's no way for me to get 'that closer'. So... I just wish it's 'the closest one' among all these cheap amps.

The pedals are central to Zakk's tone (after his technique of course). Any high gain amp with a mid range focus and EMGs or similar would help but the effects and the technique are critical IMO. How about a multi FX unit or a modeler if you're short on space and can't do high volumes?

Nmoc strat

Reaction score
THE core of Zacks tone is a JCM800 2203 pushed with a SD1, and also a Boss Chorus.

Of course, the JCM800, is not that cheap, and loud as hell.

So, if you’re in the market for a small wattage Amp, then, I think the DSL1HR is a good starting point. Also, as a plus, it has more gain on tap than the JCM800, if you dont want any pedal. Altough, have in mind that the High Gain tone of the DSL isnt exactly the same as the Zack JCM800.

IMO, you should get an OD pedal, to push the front end of the DSL, and keep the Gain low, this way you can get closer to that classic tone youre after. Also, a Chorus pedal, I dont think 1 or 2 pedals would take you that much space.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thank you all. I'll definitely take you guys' advice.

Have you considered solid state or modeling? You can get high gain and all the effects built into the amp. Marshall Code comes to mind, Marshall MG is another. These amps have headphone jacks and cab simulators, great for an apartment and they sound great too. :yesway:

Last edited:

Trident

Reaction score
I agree with Pede...
If I am not mistaken the code has as one of its options a JCM among others to choose from in its memory...It also has effects you can turn on and off when you choose to.. Also on the code head it has an effects loop to add your own...
Cheap way of getting started, the MG as well but more options with the code....
Just a thought and :welcome: :cheers:

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a beginner and I wish to have your advice on low watt heads. Up to now my options include DSL1H, HT1RH, Micro Terror and Micro Dark. But I don't know which one suits my need. And I'm open to any other suggestions.

For $450 or less I wish to get something 'closer' to zakk tone (e.g. mr crowley, farewell ballad, both lead and riff). I know it's not possible to make a similar tone so i just wish it's 'closer'. BTW I don't use any pedal. And I gonna get a cheap 4x12 cab.

Thank you very much.

From what I understand he uses a cheap boss distortion pedal into JCMs. Obviously a lot of his tone comes from huge strings (like 72 huge) and his les Paul. Get yourself an MXR univibe as well he has that thing on like 90% of the time. With a les Paul, huge GHSboomer strings, into just about any Marshall with a SD-2 super OD from boss you should be able to get pretty damn close. Good luck

Edit; since you mentioned messy apt and toddler and don’t want to mess with pedals I should tell you a boss OD pedal and a univibe is literally a few extra cables and you can set them right on top of the amp they basically take up no room at all and it’s not complicated. Run them into the clean channel not dirty

If you are a beginner someone else mentioned the Code it might be good if you want it all in one package and are just starting out but if you’re a skilled player the tone quality is terrible it’s not something you’re ever going to gig with or anything like that. IMO it’s more complicated to use than pedals too but meh

Last edited:

Screamer61

Reaction score
The JCM1 50th anniversary will get you his tone at bedroom volume however they're quite expensive and hard to find.

Since you're looking for a close tone then the DSL1H is much better at achieving that, than those amps mentioned above IMO.

Last edited:

dpaterson

Reaction score
Hello.

Well I can chime in here I reckon (if for no other reason than to defend my beloved CODE amps.!!! LOL!!!)

If you are a beginner someone else mentioned the Code it might be good if you want it all in one package and are just starting out but if you’re a skilled player the tone quality is terrible it’s not something you’re ever going to gig with or anything like that. IMO it’s more complicated to use than pedals too but meh
Nope. Sorry. I have to totally disagree and set the record straight. Even although I ain't no rock star I'm certainly no beginner either. What's more: I've owned two Marshall valve amps. over the years (a JCM800 head in the '80's being the first) so I reckon I can at least make a sort of educated comparison. I now own CODE25's and CODE50's. The CODE50's are plently gig worthy as are the CODE100 and the CODE100H. The CODE25's are just as good and ideal for practicing or recording (recording with mics. though i.e. don't bother with USB or line out) but they're just not loud enough to gig with is all. The tonal quality of these amps. CAN be just as good as any valve IF enough time is spent dialing them in properly (and, alright, it does take a lot of time and work I must admit i.e. after eighteen months or so I'm still tweaking here and there). Problem with the CODE amps. is not the amps. themselves but (so far as I can tell anyway) tone deaf musicians creating presets that don't in any way, shape, or form resemble what they themselves believe they're emulating. And yeh: by many they're considered amps. for beginners etc. But from what I've seen and because of this: they're being bought mostly by beginners (probably because of the price and the hype surrounding their Bluetooth and USB connectivity) (which by the way: neither should be the reason for buying these amps.) and are being dialed in by beginners and sometimes sound terrible so it's become a sort of self fulfilling prophecy as it were. Now there's a number of Zakk Wylde presets floating around for these amps. but I can tell ya that most of them don't sound anything like Zakk Wylde (although their creators swear blind that they do). I will try find some of the more decent ones and post links here (sometimes samples are uploaded to SoundCloud). Now I'm NOT saying that you WILL get an "exact" or "perfect" Zakk Wylde tone without using a pedal or two and following some of the advice and input above i.e. I frankly don't know because Zakk Wylde is not on my radar. And also important to note (as has been noted above) is your guitar and pickups. As an example: I get an almost perfect Vivian Campbell tone (Dio period and Whitesnake period) from these amps. but it helps that I'm playing Jackson strats. and a Blaze VC-II (which is really a Kramer Nightswan II remake). See what I'm saying???

Anyways. Hope the above is of some help to the OP.

And one of these fine days I'm gonna "commission" a CODE vs. JCM800 (or whatever your valve poison) "shootout"!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.

dpaterson

Reaction score
Hello.

Thanks for that.

Hate to tell ya though: in THAT video they both sound like sh*t!!! LOL!!! But then again: it's a fair comparison. Put it this way: there isn't a $2 200 USD difference that's for sure (this based on the current prices at Sweetwater).

Important to note though: the CODE's factory presets need a bit of tweaking too (those that are indeed useable straight out of the box that is) (and there are not many that are useable straight out of the box I have to say).

Regards,

Dale.

Nmoc strat

Reaction score
If it was for me, I would get a DSL.

I ve already listen to the CODE, and its modelings are very good, nonetheless, however, I cant stand dealing with that, programming, sound presets, etc, its just not for me. I want to turn on the Amp, plug and play. Thats it.

Being a JCM800 my favorite Amp ever, its rightful sucessor in Marshall tube Amp line, its the DSL (first, JCM900, than JCM2000, now, DSL). Plus, this new line, has those small heads, the 20W and 1W, which can be plugged into a proper 4x12 Cab, and get a close enough classic Marshall tone.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
Study how Zakk plays as well. He uses more or less off the shelf gear that has cosmetic alterations. His playing style has a big effect on his tone. No matter what he’s playing - acoustic, clean, crunched, or distorted - you can always tell it’s Zakk!