Dsl1hr

• Thread starter Samy_Sixstring
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmuff

Reaction score
I got one of those little DSL1H some years ago, used, and have been very happy with its performance. At one watt, no, there is not a ton of clean headroom, but I can run it wide open with a humbucker guitar and it's still pretty clean if you don't crank the gain. The clean channel takes pedals well, too - I can run a bass-heavy fuzz into it and it sounds just fine. I would not use it for live performances, even miced - a loud drummer will wipe it out easily. But I have other amps for gigs. This little guy is about the best home practice amp I've heard. Volume maxed out it's about the level of a loud stereo.

Bigmuff

Reaction score
I'm not sure of the model year. I found a used one not long after that 1 watt series was released, so probably an earlier model. I've never messed with the tubes because it sounds fine for what I'm using it for and getting to the tubes looks annoying. I play it through an Avatar 2x12 - I forget what speakers are in it. I also like to run my electric keyboard into it just for fun. Sounds pretty low-fi, but very cool.

I view the low volume limit as a plus - it's harder to be the neighborhood asshole when the amp just doesn't get that loud.

Samy_Sixstring

Reaction score
I do have a speaker cab, but I’m not planning on using it with this. We’ll see.

Oh, you will want to play through speaker cabs. I have 2 1x12's and one that is not 16 ohm (what to do?). Let me know if emulation works before I spend five bucks on a funny cable!

Tagedieb

Reaction score
I actually would have preferred earlier break up on classic gain and later breakup on ultra gain. But that may be my classic rock taste.

I ordered the amp and received it today. Just tried the emulated output yet.
Quite impressive already but I get your point. There is just a narrow range of gritty blues tones before reaching hard rock territory already.

bridge500t

Reaction score
So I got mine the other day and I love it! It sounded really good with the stock tubes but I threw some new ones in. I had ordered a couple Genalex gold lions for it, one 12ax7 and an ECC82, along with a preferred series 7025 from thetubestore.com. The new tubes took it to a whole new level for me. Just smoothed it out incredibly to my ears. Took out some of the hiss too.

jimmy3711

Reaction score
Mine arrived yesterday. Have only run it through the emulation out. It’s a sweet little practice amp. It is just what I was looking for. I’m a little surprised by how much eq difference there between the channels. This could from the emulation out as I haven’t connected to a cab yet. I will try it through my 2536 tomorrow. So far, very pleased.

woodsyowl

Reaction score
Hi all! Its my first post here!

I'm interested in this little head for headphone practise as its main use and occasional jamming while loved ones are out of the house. That being said, Does anyone have a recording of the speaker sim (headphone out)?

Cheers!

woodsyowl

Reaction score
Well what do you know.... I just did a search on the interweb thingy and found a clip (not my clip).

It covers a lot of FAQ's about the dsl1hr. Its not in English and no talking! You can easily sort out what is going on and covers things like how loud and uses a db meter throughout. Plus, speaker emulation, 0.1 vs 1 watt, eq / drive comparison, even compares the dsl1hr volume against a dsl40c (using the same cab this will surprise a few people...)

...There will be those that enjoy the vid for its "artistic" merit too ;)

jimmy3711

Reaction score
Well what do you know.... I just did a search on the interweb thingy and found a clip (not my clip).

Great clip! Makes me think about my head. I’m not getting that classic gain breakup like he is. Perhaps I need to look at my tubes.

Samy_Sixstring

Reaction score
That is cute! Sure enough I tried my strat bridge humbucker with ultra gain at 5 (noon) through 1x12 and that is La Grange to my ears, no pedals.:) I love it with stock tubes! I think tubes, like speakers, have a break-in period?

Last edited:

oldmanrockin

Reaction score
So I got mine the other day and I love it! It sounded really good with the stock tubes but I threw some new ones in. I had ordered a couple Genalex gold lions for it, one 12ax7 and an ECC82, along with a preferred series 7025 from thetubestore.com. The new tubes took it to a whole new level for me. Just smoothed it out incredibly to my ears. Took out some of the hiss too.
How does it sound with the new tubes vs the old. I would be open to trying some others but there are so many options i not sure where to start. Are there any bias issues to contend with when changing the Ecc82. I really like the sound as delivered, but would like to have some spares with me.

bridge500t

Reaction score
How does it sound with the new tubes vs the old. I would be open to trying some others but there are so many options i not sure where to start. Are there any bias issues to contend with when changing the Ecc82. I really like the sound as delivered, but would like to have some spares with me.
The sound is really good with the stock tubes but the new tubes seemed to tame some of the highs and smooth it out along with removing some of the high gain hiss. You don't have to bias anything as I did check with Marshall on it. They said the ECC82 is a cathode bias which means you can just switch the tube. I didn't know that till I asked. As far as liking a new sound based on tubes, all you can do is swap them out and try to see if you like it. I'll probably still try other 12ax7 combinations just to see if what I have now is what sounds best to me. But like I said, even without changing the tubes it sounds great.

oldmanrockin

Reaction score
The sound is really good with the stock tubes but the new tubes seemed to tame some of the highs and smooth it out along with removing some of the high gain hiss. You don't have to bias anything as I did check with Marshall on it. They said the ECC82 is a cathode bias which means you can just switch the tube. I didn't know that till I asked. As far as liking a new sound based on tubes, all you can do is swap them out and try to see if you like it. I'll probably still try other 12ax7 combinations just to see if what I have now is what sounds best to me. But like I said, even without changing the tubes it sounds great.
I just ordered some Mullards for mine. Not sure is i want to put them in yet, but i dont have any spares ant thought it would be a good idea. Have you tried mullareds in yours yet.