Dsl50/dsl100 discontinued (yes or no?)

• Thread starter Troubadour
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Greetings All!

Long-time guitarist here and first posting on this particular Forum, but I'm a 'newb' to Marshall's, and I've been considering my first Marshall purchase in recent weeks, only to learn (after-the-fact) that the model I'd hoped to get (the JCM2000-DSL50) has been discontinued.

So, I'm posting this thread in hopes of getting some feedback on this and another key subject from knowledgeable Marshall-ites:

1) There have MANY reports here on the Marshall Forum that the two DSL amps were "positively" STILL in production, and frankly, they remain listed as "Products" on the Marshall website, yet representatives with Marshall's officially published contact for ALL U.S.-based Marshall sales (i.e., U.S. Music Corp) tell me that the DSL line was formally discontinued back in '08. So, what gives with this? In other words, what's likely to be the truth? Direct e-mails to Marshall corporate in England have gone unanswered, but are the U.S. reps wrong on this, as rumored here on the Forum? And why are there so many conflicting reports by "knowledgeable" members here?

2) Secondly, if in-fact the JCM2000 series has indeed been discontinued, what do those of you here, who are experienced Marshall users recommend in terms of a functional alternative to the DSL50? I'd like to stay below 50w and I'd like reverb, but I don't really want any other buzzers and bells (i.e., triple- or quad-channel, programmable, ultra techy, PCB-based, MIDI type stuff). If that's all that's left, I'll go get a Komet!

Anybody?

Many thanx!

BrentD

Reaction score
1923 85th Anniversary head is reputed to be a DSL50 with new aesthetics.

Ken

Reaction score
You can get used DSL 50's or 100's and save a lot of money. The 100's are still being made; not sure about the 50. The 1923 is the same as the DSL except for the window dressing and price.

Ken

Troubadour

Reaction score
Yup, used one are roughly half-priced, but if you (personally) have reliable information that the DSL-100 is "still being made", then I would strongly suggest calling Marshall and educating them on it, because that's not what they're saying, and its not what their sole U.S. Distributor in the states is saying. In fact, this sort of inconsistent confusion is precisely why I initiated this thread - too much erroneous information by too many sources and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks for your replies here folks, and thanks also for the reference to the 1923 model. I had not yet heard of that particular model, and yes, it sounds like its virtually identical in terms of guts. In fact, its 'so' similar that perhaps that's why they may have opted to discontinue the DSL line?

wanky

Reaction score
i think they're still being made. there are 50 watt 2 ch JVMs, but they are a totally different sounding amp.

discontinued or not, u can find DSL50/100s for a very good price on ebay/CL. they are very common and marshall's best selling tube amp.

gZip

Reaction score
What's a good used price for one?
What's a great used price for one?

Troubadour

Reaction score
I think the DSL's originally sold for about $1100-$1200, and I've seen them posted for sale recently as low as $550 and as high as $900.

Ken

Reaction score
Yup, used one are roughly half-priced, but if you (personally) have reliable information that the DSL-100 is "still being made", then I would strongly suggest calling Marshall and educating them on it, because that's not what they're saying, and its not what their sole U.S. Distributor in the states is saying. In fact, this sort of inconsistent confusion is precisely why I initiated this thread - too much erroneous information by too many sources and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Marshall makes amps in batches. If the US distributor wants to buy 10 DSL's from Marshall, they have to wait until Marshall does another run. So in that respect, they aren't "still being made" until they make some. Most older model Marshalls are still being made in occasional batches.

Ken

Troubadour

Reaction score
I don't know if what I'm writing here will get through the moderators or not. I've been having 'mega' trouble just getting the simplest comments to post here including complete threads that I've initiated. In fact, its been troubling enough that I'm not sure I'm going to continue bothering with this particular forum, but thanks for your post. I appreciate it and I'll keep talking with Marshall about the availability of new DSL50s.

JayCM800

Reaction score
I haven't seen a brand new DSL for sale (from the biggest retailers) in quite a long while.

The 1923 was a limited run model from 2008 and it's still possible to find new units.

Bieling3

Reaction score
Watched a factory tour video someone posted here at the forum just a few months ago that showed dsls & tsls being currently produced for overseas sales.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Mmmm, for where? Sri Lanka? No significant U.S.-based retailer has had any inventory on them for two or more years. I know because I've checked, exhaustively!

Troubadour

Reaction score
Well then, I can only conclude that the folks at Marshall corporate and their largest U.S.-based distributor are both in error about production of their own products. I don't know what else a guy can conclude? They were both absolutely 'unequivocal' in their responses to me regarding the availability and current or future production of "new" DSL's . . .

Negative, none, nada, zippo, gone, pau, sayonara, fossil, never again! What more can be said?

Troubadour

Reaction score
Yup, I think you're right, which of course, ain't gonna happen, but its far from what others would call "good" marketing practice. I mean, not that a single sale matters to them much, but they've definitely lost the sale (special order) of at least two DSL heads from this immediate household, and probably some others by people who are reading these threads and are equally confused or misinformed.

Imagine if a small (boutique) builder operated like that? He'd be belly-up in a matter of months! I guess that's just one of the many advantages of being "huge" like Marshall.

Ken

Reaction score
Well then, I can only conclude that the folks at Marshall corporate and their largest U.S.-based distributor are both in error about production of their own products. I don't know what else a guy can conclude? They were both absolutely 'unequivocal' in their responses to me regarding the availability and current or future production of "new" DSL's . . .

Negative, none, nada, zippo, gone, pau, sayonara, fossil, never again! What more can be said?

Maybe because you can only get the DSL 100 MB....it's different in that it has lead free solder and a minor cosmetic difference. Technically the DSL IS discontinued as it now is a new model designation.

Ken

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
i've been there myself a couple of months ago and talk to the senior designer on occasion, the JCM2000's are still being made... i've seen the PCB's myself
marshall delivers on order... they do not produce certain batches hoping they will eventually sell... when a distributor say's they aren't produced anymore, they simply mean, that they don't order them anymore... a big difference imo...

Bieling3

Reaction score
Who was it that posted that video of the marshall factory tour they took in the fall that showed stacks of dsl board being qc tested?