Dsl5c(wc) + Aux + Mp3-player With Speaker (no Headphone)

• Thread starter truecolor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

truecolor

Reaction score
Hi @at all,

I´m new in this forum, so I say hello.

Among others I use a mashall DSL5C(WC).

The AMP has an AUX input and headphone output, both "emulated".
Means, that AUX input only works with headphone.

I´m looking for possibilities, to connext my MP3-ülayer together with my guitar to the Marshall-speaker.

Is there any hack / modification to realize that?

Conghaille

Reaction score
I know this is "answering the question without answering the question".

Honestly, between this kind of application, working with loopers, etc., I was never satisfied by feeding everything through the same amp. I felt like I got more unwanted breakup of the side track(s), and that all the extra sound mucked up my main amp's tone. What I do now for my inexpensive "practice" rig is I use a clean Fender Frontman to amplify background tracks, drum machines, etc., usually from my iPad.

I'll suggest to you that, if you're like me, when you bought your Marshall, you wanted all that valve-toned, celestion goodness. "Emulation", while handy, is not close in my experience to why I like an amp (though I recognize that headphones are sometimes a necessary evil.)

I hope that's helpful.

truecolor

Reaction score
"...answer without answer" ... touché, thats what I feared.

My main AMP is a marshall DSL40. Therefore the solution would be useable: guitar-> dsl40 / iPad -> dsl5c

But only to play mp3 on dsl5 ... therefore the dsl5c is for me too precious.

On my dsl5c I´m missing a standby-switch, so I´m afraid the frequently "power on/off" reduce fast the lifetime of my amp-tubes.

At least it´s possible to upgrade the dsl5c with a standby-switch?

Antmax

Reaction score
I haven't tried it, but in theory you could get a non buffered splitter that will let you have 2 inputs and one output and put it last in your FX loop return.

So you insert your music into your poweramp bypassing the preamp and guitar effects.

I don't know how well it will work and might add noise with cheap components or dirty power sources. A battery powered mp3 player or phone might work. Will probably need a decent app to shape the music to sound half decent through the amp.

I plugged my computer audio into the FX return to try modeling software and that was ok but got some groundloop noise, I ended up using optical out to digital analog converter so there was no conductive wires from the PC. Battery should be fine if your using a laptop.