Eddie Van Halen Reveals He Straight Up Lied About His Early Amps

• Thread starter ESPVH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

strat59

Reaction score
Man he's lookin old , Dave Letterman even looks younger.

Attachments

• david-letterman-ccd50699f42be821.jpg
    david-letterman-ccd50699f42be821.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 8

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Man he's lookin old , Dave Letterman even looks younger.

Cancer, surgeries, cigarettes, and drugs can take a toll on you. In fact, I think JayCM's pic was after he had surgery for cancer.

He's looking a bit better, now.

213521-van-halen.jpg

strat59

Reaction score
Yep , definitely looks better there. All that would knock you around.

marshall1967

Reaction score
This is actually discussed in depth (about the amp being stock) in an early nineties guitar world issue (forgot the year). It was around the time the Peavey 5150 came out...When I first heard about the variac in the eighties I thought it would be like a master volume since those old Marshalls didn't have one. I guess it kind of is. Also a power soak.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thread cleaned up due to fighting ... please stop.

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
Lately I've been trying to nail Eddie's tone with my JCM 2000 and a Tube Screamer, I'm getting close but I can't seem to nail it

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
Lately I've been trying to nail Eddie's tone with my JCM 2000 and a Tube Screamer, I'm getting close but I can't seem to nail it

be happy you are as close as you are now cause you will never nail it.
sorry but it is the truth, unless you go that that exact studio and have all the other elements VH used it cant be done, even Ed cant get it back again.

nightrain

Reaction score
Good grief , there's another all time overated guitarist. Does he actually have a tone coz all it sounds like to me is a generic Les Paul / Marshall tone.
IMHO very much a case of Image over substance.

I'd take Billy Duffy's playing & tone anyday

Never beard of Billy Duffy, probably just another random old ass dinosaur no one cared about. If you want a unique Slash tone check out the UYI tour tone of his. No one else has a tone like that. Just type Godfather solo and click on the Tokyo link. I dare you to find a single guitarist who even remotely has a tone like that.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Never beard of Billy Duffy, probably just another random old ass dinosaur no one cared about. If you want a unique Slash tone check out the UYI tour tone of his. No one else has a tone like that. Just type Godfather solo and click on the Tokyo link. I dare you to find a single guitarist who even remotely has a tone like that.

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain

SlashBillyDuffy15-07-2012_zps63004c86.jpg

brp

Reaction score
If you want a unique Slash tone check out the UYI tour tone of his. No one else has a tone like that. Just type Godfather solo and click on the Tokyo link. I dare you to find a single guitarist who even remotely has a tone like that.

Even remotely? lol

I think most if not all would agree that vid captures very prototypical Les Paul through a Marshall tone. Are you new to Les Paul through a Marshall? Slash was/is far from the first to focus on this tone signature.

lulz fanboys

JimiRules

Reaction score
Your ignorance cannot be pardoned i'm sorry...

ZZ Top - Brown Sugar (Original 1971 Vinyl Mix) - YouTube

This is real ZZ Top. Much in the same way as 'MTV Aeorosmith' are not the same band as the real Aerosmith that broke up in 1979.

l haven't listened to the first ZZ Top album in years. l really need to break it out and give it another listen. Billy Gibbons is one bad mofo! I mean when Hendrix calls you his favorite guitar player that's really saying something. As far as the whole EVH thing, he's one hell of a player, but l don't pay attention to much of what he says in interviews. l remember he did one in Guitar World when the 5153 amp came out. He said that when he was testing them he plugged a bass into it, threw the bass on the floor, and let it lay there and feed back for a month. Yeah, sure he did.

All4Tone

Reaction score
I always figured that anyone who blew up their amp after trying to do what some guitar player said he did, deserved it. If you don't know what you're doing, leave the amp alone and work on your playing!

I saw Eddie et al on the recent tour and like it or not, he was brilliant and had a great guitar sound. Put him down if you want, but Eddie's still great and we are all just forum fodder...

krabby5

Reaction score
meh...
If you can play the notes - and - have the exact same gear you're 95% there
But I would admit the gear is the easy part of the equation
This magical tone business is half bullsh!t half ego
The only people who give a flying lizard dick about TONE are other guitarists

:lol: By quality gear , play with intensity = and you'll have all the tone you need

Les Paul into Marshall...neck pickup..guitar tone control at zero

nightrain

Reaction score
Les Paul into Marshall...neck pickup..guitar tone control at zero

Show me one video where someone else does this and sounds similar. Hell, you all own Marshalls, and let's see you guys match that tone. I challenge any Marshall 2555 owners to match it. 50$ paypaled.