Evh 5150 Iii S-el34

• Thread starter Rocktane
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rocktane

Reaction score
I was anxiously anticipating the release of the el-34 amp that was supposed be like his old Marshalls. Hmmm, we'll have to see.

Looks like a slightly tweaked Stealth, with EL-34's.

http://www.evhgear.com/extras/newfor2016/

Mods: Can you edit the title? This thing is acting up only half of what I typed showed up. Should read: EVH 5150 III S-EL34

^^ Thank you!

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
You should be able to edit the title yourself.

And yeah, this bummed me out. I was expecting a more vintage-esque amp similar to his Marshalls, where the preamp would be a bit more held back while the power amp needed to be cranked to get his sound.

Shit, even Randall did that with George Lynch's Headhunter amp.

TubeStack

Reaction score
I'd be interested in a 50W small head version, without the gold, all-black.

(Already have a 100W Marshall VM 2466.)

Kutt

Reaction score
I've been looking forward to this one too, but I read "...more saturation" and my heart sort of sank. The effing things have too much saturation / gain as it is. Knock it down a few notches, Fender.

Silverburst

Reaction score
Same, but according to the press release, it's just a 5153 with an EL34 power section.

that would be boring :/

or Eddie finally has to start talking with Marshall. That would probably be the most anticipated Marshall of all times

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
that would be boring :/

or Eddie finally has to start talking with Marshall. That would probably be the most anticipated Marshall of all times

Given that EVH has done everything in his signature line through only Fender and Dunlop's brands, I kinda doubt we'll see that happen.

Silverburst

Reaction score
correct... EVH is about the most branded side brand I can think off. I wonder, is Fender working for EVH or is EVH fender's bitch ?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Pretty sure everything EVH wants from Fender, he gets.

Eddie owns EVH, but commissions Fender to build everything.

EVH doesn't really crave the brown sound anymore. Ever since he switched to Soldano, he's been going for the more modern, preamp-focused sound.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Bias testing and adjustment port sounds handy. I'd be interested in a 50 watt version also. More saturation doesn't bother me, just drop the gain knob a bit if it's too much.

Conghaille

Reaction score
Over 35 years, if there's one thing that I've learned from Eddie about his gear, it's that Eddie will NEVER give you any straight answer/representation of his actual gear. He'll get close to it for you if there's money in it for him. I have come to suspect this is a combination of "wanting to keep his secrets" and his just forgetting part of the recipe sometimes.

Silverburst

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't now himself how to get that exact sound anymore, how his amp was changed and return to stock and the 100 myths... the signal path, the old frankenstrat, the pickups, the boost effects from the echoplex and vega wireless and bla...

and that is probably fine... does he care? (if not for the money...). Did he ever sound live like he did on th VHI album... half of his tone is in his hands anyways. it was 79. it's the past. Would anyone, not in a VH cover band, want to use that exact tone today? I saw this cover band Van Hagar last weekend on a festival. The guitarist had great chops. well... he used a Fender Twin. some pedals and a single coil guitar doink ;)

At times like that I realize signature gear can be the silliest of things. Whatever inspires you is great of course, and probably the best reason.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Agreed with Silver. Lots of the sound is going to be in your hands. Speakers, tubes, etc will influence the sounds, but the playing will make most of it. I have a EVH, but sound nothing like Eddie. I just like the crunch on CH 2, and once in a while its fun to go nuts on CH 3 which to me sounds way more RATT or Dokken than EVH. If you toss a pedal in front you could probably get Jake E Lee's old "High Wire" sound, he was super-saturated.