Favorite Recorded Marshalls on a Song or Album (legendary or current)

• Thread starter LoudStroud
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LoudStroud

Reaction score
Aerosmith....Dang there are so many, but the early stuff is nice and raw. Like with this track from the first album. Once you get into Toys and Rocks, it's hard to know what might've been Ampeg's. Never a sorry tone.

Plenty of VH posted. This is one of my personal favorites for tone.

79 2203

Reaction score
V
So many that have already been mentioned... Humble Pie Live at the Fillmore, KISS Alive, Clapton Beano Era, and this live album lately I haven't been able to get enough of...

V into Wah into 1987 into Blackbacks.

zachman

Reaction score
What band or guitarist using a Marshall on record made you want one? I searched to see if this had already been discussed but surprisingly could not find a thread, so thought I’d crank it up.

For me there are sooo many, so I’ll start with these…
Mick Ralphs on Mott The Hoople albums, All The Young Dudes and Mott. Prime example songs: One of The Boys (ATYD), All The Way To Memphis (Mott) and Whizz Kid (Mott).

Not only did Mick’s playing and tone make me want a Marshall, but also a Les Paul Junior. There are so many tones I like and appreciate, but this combo is the core of my soul.

Ohhh there are many more, but let me hear yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jliQhdMz1f8&list=OLAK5uy_lRy7h-edrkqN0EXgPVkGAsQKDbhdXo0As&index=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9EWD0nHA0&list=OLAK5uy_njCgNl6Bb5oCXcKaSEh0JIV52SyR3-HEM

Last edited:

10kDA

Reaction score
John Mayall's Beano album; the first three Allman Bros albums, especially Live at Fillmore East which was about as true a representation of the "real" tone as you could find back in the day. Plus Live Cream vol. 1 and 2, once again, straight up accurate recorded tone without much engineered sweetening.

Time Traveler

Reaction score
Fuzz (Edit- Tonebender of some sort) into a SS VOX (i.e. pretty much same as the Z1 rig) seems to be the prevalent thought.
Zep 1 and Zep 2 Jimmy Page used different Guitar and different amp, LZep1 Telecaster and Supro, Zep 2 Les Paul and amps VoxUL7 and Marshall super lead;
Whole lotta love, studio version was Vox UL7 hybrid amp, those amps had build-in fuzz

Last edited:

doc mckenna

Reaction score
Moxy moon rider
Rush anthem
Toto hold the line.

Then the 80s with nwobhm too many to mention megadeth, testament etc.

Would also say some others sounded great like the laney for sabbath and slo for death angel. Didnt know they werent marshalls till many years later

Frank Araneo

Reaction score
John Mayall's Beano album; the first three Allman Bros albums, especially Live at Fillmore East which was about as true a representation of the "real" tone as you could find back in the day. Plus Live Cream vol. 1 and 2, once again, straight up accurate recorded tone without much engineered sweetening.
Definitely Allmans at Fillmore!

Dirty-D

Reaction score
ZAL CLEMSON'S tone (Sensational Alex Harvey Band) on the hammer song when it gets electrified. Around 2:32 on this video

Last edited:

goldtop0

Reaction score
Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with EC Key To Love, It Hurts To Be In Love, Bernard Jenkins, Lonely Years
with Peter Green A Hard Road, Sittin' In The Rain and with Mick Taylor Me And My Woman, No Reply.

EFR

Reaction score
These could be just about any songs by these artists, but here's three of my favourites. All great Marshall tones, straight in, no effects.

Problem Child is my go to riff to see if a particular Marshall is a good one! My '72 JMP50 nailed it so I bought it.
Anything off Back in Black is Marshall pefection.

I like this one too for Les Paul straight in to a plexi tone:

This recording captures the bright cap "pick chirp" of a just on the edge of breakup JMP50 Lead amp on the solos as good as anything:

Last edited:

Dan Sing

Reaction score
The initial spark? Deep Purple, "Made in Japan". :) i was a kid at that time. Blew me away.

The other important album in that matter was some years later, ACDC, "if you want blood" (i had just entered puberty): TWith that LP, i realized at all that amps are an important part of the sound and that for the case i'll ever start to play guitar, it will be with a Marshall.

LeftyGtrPlr

Reaction score
This is tough- I can go with 5- most are from live albums/performances

Anything Robbo- Lizzy, Motorhead, Wild Horses, dude just has magic tone fingers.
timestamped for the solo bit

Early Schenker (and Chuck Berry) is the reason I play guitar- I prefer the 70s, early 80s period

Early Adrian Smith

This was one of my favorite tones before I ever started to play guitar- may still be my ultimate fave- Gibson 3x5 through a 50 watt metal face NMV.

This is more of a "recent" favorite as I only discovered it in the last 15 years or so

Michael Schenker's live sound from Strangers in the Night has to be my all time favorite! Just killer with the JCM 800 2205.
I dig all the others you shared also.

willsonline

Reaction score
What band or guitarist using a Marshall on record made you want one? I searched to see if this had already been discussed but surprisingly could not find a thread, so thought I’d crank it up.

For me there are sooo many, so I’ll start with these…
Mick Ralphs on Mott The Hoople albums, All The Young Dudes and Mott. Prime example songs: One of The Boys (ATYD), All The Way To Memphis (Mott) and Whizz Kid (Mott).

Not only did Mick’s playing and tone make me want a Marshall, but also a Les Paul Junior. There are so many tones I like and appreciate, but this combo is the core of my soul.

Ohhh there are many more, but let me hear yours.
Wow! Where do I start?
• Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?*
• Eric Clapton - Sunshine Of Your Love*
• Blue Cheer - Summertime Blues*
• Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen II
• Billy Gibbons - Cheap Sunglasses
• Jeff Beck - Big Block

The first three songs featured a Marshall tone that disappeared very quickly. I’m not exactly sure why, but I was told by the late, great Ken Fischer (of Trainwreck Circuits) that Marshall’s quality control was hard to maintain in early in the game. As their orders increased, they were scrambling for parts, leading to a time when many amps left the factory slightly different from each other. I once owned a 1968 100-watt Super Lead that wouldn’t sound the same from one day to the next. It drove me nuts! I’d get it sounding great, leave the settings exactly the same, then fire it up the next day, only to have it sound like crap. Could never figure that out.

I also believe that the Celestion speakers used in the early days had a special “twang” that gradually changed over time. They played a big part in the ingredients found in the songs I’ve listed.

jeffb

Reaction score
Michael Schenker's live sound from Strangers in the Night has to be my all time favorite! Just killer with the JCM 800 2205.
I dig all the others you shared also.
For the record (no pun intended) there were no 2205s at the time SITN was recorded. He was using the 50 watt 1987s throughout the 1970s (through all of UFO)- He would used a Paul Rivera modded 1987 for the 1st two MSG albums (and One Night at Budokan) and then the 2205s came at the time of Assault Attack (82-83).