Favorite Recorded Marshalls on a Song or Album (legendary or current)

• Thread starter LoudStroud
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jleftyy

Reaction score
Couldn’t pick a favourite, too many!
Definitely Appetite for Destruction made me want to learn to play guitar & dream of a Marshall & Les Paul.

As an Aussie kid, AC/DC & Cold Chisel were radio staples, and among my favorite tones. Ian Moss is absolutely brilliant and an all time favourite guitarist of mine.

Agree with many of those already listed, but a couple of awesome tones I've always loved are
Mick Jones

And Steve Lukather

I

Ironically Slash played a les Paul copy on Appetite

willsonline

Reaction score
Maybe old fashioned, but among all great recordings I put this slightly above some of the others

I love this story, and hope it's true (copied from Wikipedia):
"Dowd had worked with many of the biggest jazz and rhythm and blues musicians in the 1950s and 1960s. However, Cream was his first exposure to extreme volume levels. The group arrived at Atlantic with their concert setup of multiple Marshall amplifiers (each 100 watts). Dowd was surprised by the amount of equipment accompanying the trio: "They recorded at ear-shattering level ... Everyone I'd worked with before was using Fender Deluxes [about 20 watts] or Twins [about 80 watts]—six- and seven-piece bands that didn't play as loud as this three piece did."

Of course the guitar matters:
"For his guitar solo, Clapton used a sound known as the "woman tone", which is described as "smooth, dark, singing, sustaining", by author Mitch Gallagher. The actual guitar that Clapton used has been identified as a 1964 Gibson SG, known as "the Fool". It is one of the best-known examples of the woman tone and quotes the melody from the perennial pop standard "Blue Moon"."

Actually, Eric didn’t use his “Woman Tone” on “Sunshine.” He played the entire song using his front pickup with little to no tone control added. “SWLABR” does feature the Woman Tone.

MrScratch

Reaction score
Hell yea they did...

I really like the tone of the rhythm guitar during the solo on Hysteria.
not even sure if it was a marshall at that point... lol but to me that is what it should sound like.
I think that was an 800.

79 2203

Reaction score
Had a listen to my Deep Purple live at Long Beach 71 for the first time in a while and I reckon Blackmore’s tone on that may have even Made In Japan beat.
So clean/clear and you can hear the strings on wood and every nuance of his picking and dynamics. The neck pickup is so vocal and smooth while the bridge has bite and growl but no harshness.

Its obviously a desk mix so the band drops right back when Gillan is singing(and he’s in stellar form)and the keyboard and bass are in general low in the mix, but if you’re a fan of Blackmores tone and playing in this 70-72 era then it’s a must have.

dro

Reaction score
Had a listen to my Deep Purple live at Long Beach 71 for the first time in a while and I reckon Blackmore’s tone on that may have even Made In Japan beat.
So clean/clear and you can hear the strings on wood and every nuance of his picking and dynamics. The neck pickup is so vocal and smooth while the bridge has bite and growl but no harshness.

Its obviously a desk mix so the band drops right back when Gillan is singing(and he’s in stellar form)and the keyboard and bass are in general low in the mix, but if you’re a fan of Blackmores tone and playing in this 70-72 era then it’s a must have.
Nothing like a vintage Marshall DIMED. You can't get there with an attenuator, or these new low watt studio models. It's just not possible. No way no how.

Latest posts