Favourite wah pedal?

• Thread starter diesel king
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
another Dimebag wah user here. it's so freakin flexible!

* switchable kick boost with volume (when wah effect is on)
* Variable Q (width of wah effect)
* toe down fine adjustment
* 6 range settings
* heavy duty sealed pot
* "true hardware" bypass (DB02)
* red fazel

it's the swiss army knife of wah's :dude:

Rock in Peace Dimebag

ant_riv

Reaction score
I've been using a very old Thomas Crybaby that I bought used in 1976 up until recently.

I wasn't able to clear up the scratchiness in the pot about a year ago, and I found that the Fulltone Clyde is the closest in sound to my old Crybaby, so that is what I use now.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
I've been using a very old Thomas Crybaby that I bought used in 1976 up until recently.

I wasn't able to clear up the scratchiness in the pot about a year ago, and I found that the Fulltone Clyde is the closest in sound to my old Crybaby, so that is what I use now.

lookie here. swapping the pot will fix scratchiness ;)

voodoo.child

Reaction score
was hoping to hear more about the dunlop rack mount cry baby. thats what im looking at next. i have a slash cry baby and the custom audio electronics cry baby. both are very good, but i`m still looking for that next level in wah. its the only pedal i use and am going to ditch my pedal board completely and just run the wah when i find the perfect one.

rjtm

Reaction score
Well the Crybaby Rack Mount is THE crybaby. Im pretty sure it has all crybaby tones programmed into it, and slash actually uses that and just runs it through his sig wah. Im pretty sure kirk does that too.

mrrstrat

Reaction score
I use a Rocktron Tri-Wah. It has a 640mH Inductor.

I studied the schematic of my once favorite Wah: the Clyde McCoy and the Cry Baby. I noticed that the minor differences in both circuits are somewhat captured in the Tri-Wah. My first Wah was a Vox Clyde McCoy, so all Wahs I compare to that one.

The TriWah is actually pretty descent and is True-bypass.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Vintage: Mutron Wah or Tycobre Parapedal. New: Behringer HellBabe.

Audible

Reaction score
I like the Colorsound Supawah best for a straight wah though I should have kept one of the various Thomas Organ Crybaby that I had over the years. Been more inclined to use a Moogerfooger Filter with an expression pedal or a modified Maestro FP-2 for wah duties.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Zakk Wylde ZW-45 Wah I recently acquired in a trade. It's too bassey for my tastes and the sweep is really limited. Off to eBay it goes, unless you're interested. I'm going to be sticking with my old standby Mr. Crybaby Super Volume/Wah.

I see this is an old post, but did you sell the Zakk Wah?

As for Wah pedals, that is one of my weaknesses regarding the GAS syndrome.

Let's see if I can list all my Wah's:

First one I had back in the 80's when I was a kid just learning to play, was the big chrome Morely Wah. It developed a problem and it got stored away and forgotten about. Then a few years ago I was going through my storage unit and found it! I was actually able to fix it and it works great. LOL

I was using a Thomas Organ patent pending Wah back around 1994 and this one was given to me. It worked for a few years and then developed issues so I bought the then new Dunlop 535. Not the 535Q, just 535. This was around 1996. I am still using this as my main Wah today. And in the last 4 years or so I have picked up way too many Wah's:

The older Hendrix Fuzz Wah which I have never been too impressed with. The glitch/dead spot in the sweep is really bad on this one, more so when the Fuzz is engaged.

Then I got a 535Q for cheap and it has been stored away ever since as I just never got to liking the foot forward ON activation of these.

Picked up a Zakk Wah for cheap but it has some strange issue that I thought I solved but it acted up again - stored away.

Then bought a new Vox Clyde McCoy. This Wah is actually quite sweet. I sometimes alternate this Wah with my main faithful 535 - depending on which amp setup I am using.

Then for a Birthday gift a few years back my Gal got me the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. This Wah is awesome. But like all the rest, I still was experiencing that slight glitch in the middle of the sweep. Not as bad as most but still there. This issue with Wah's, which primarily seems to act up when running into a high gain amp set with a good amount of Dirt, has been the reason I have been chasing that one special Wah.

Last Wah pedals I bought was a used Gig-FX Mega-Wah and I picked up the Slash Wah. The Gig-FX is interesting and can do some serious wide sweeping. I primarily got it for running two amps - its built in Stereo feature is quite cool. But I very rarely run a two amp setup.

The Slash Wah is actually not too bad. I like the Boost/Distortion feature on it and set it somewhat as a Clean boost.

Hopefully I did not bore you guys with my Wah addiction story.

:D

And of course I still want more Wah pedals. LOL I am interested in the Cantrell Wah, wondering if this one might be The One?

:hmm:

rjtm

Reaction score
I see this is an old post, but did you sell the Zakk Wah?

As for Wah pedals, that is one of my weaknesses regarding the GAS syndrome.

Let's see if I can list all my Wah's:

First one I had back in the 80's when I was a kid just learning to play, was the big chrome Morely Wah. It developed a problem and it got stored away and forgotten about. Then a few years ago I was going through my storage unit and found it! I was actually able to fix it and it works great. LOL

I was using a Thomas Organ patent pending Wah back around 1994 and this one was given to me. It worked for a few years and then developed issues so I bought the then new Dunlop 535. Not the 535Q, just 535. This was around 1996. I am still using this as my main Wah today. And in the last 4 years or so I have picked up way too many Wah's:

The older Hendrix Fuzz Wah which I have never been too impressed with. The glitch/dead spot in the sweep is really bad on this one, more so when the Fuzz is engaged.

Then I got a 535Q for cheap and it has been stored away ever since as I just never got to liking the foot forward ON activation of these.

Picked up a Zakk Wah for cheap but it has some strange issue that I thought I solved but it acted up again - stored away.

Then bought a new Vox Clyde McCoy. This Wah is actually quite sweet. I sometimes alternate this Wah with my main faithful 535 - depending on which amp setup I am using.

Then for a Birthday gift a few years back my Gal got me the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. This Wah is awesome. But like all the rest, I still was experiencing that slight glitch in the middle of the sweep. Not as bad as most but still there. This issue with Wah's, which primarily seems to act up when running into a high gain amp set with a good amount of Dirt, has been the reason I have been chasing that one special Wah.

Last Wah pedals I bought was a used Gig-FX Mega-Wah and I picked up the Slash Wah. The Gig-FX is interesting and can do some serious wide sweeping. I primarily got it for running two amps - its built in Stereo feature is quite cool. But I very rarely run a two amp setup.

The Slash Wah is actually not too bad. I like the Boost/Distortion feature on it and set it somewhat as a Clean boost.

Hopefully I did not bore you guys with my Wah addiction story.

:D

And of course I still want more Wah pedals. LOL I am interested in the Cantrell Wah, wondering if this one might be The One?

:hmm:

The cantrell wah is supposed to be awesome. I tried it a long time ago, and it sounds really good. I didnt try it on really heavy distortion but I assume it would sound good because Jerry cantrell uses a lot of distortion. You should try that one out its a really nice, dark sounding wah. The reason I didnt get it was because it was too dark for my tastes and went with the slash wah to fit my style of music more.

fstrat59slp

Reaction score
I just use the original cry baby, I also have the 535q but I don't like it as much as the original cry baby.

jlt73

Reaction score
I have the 535Q and we have a love/love relationship.

I love it when I kick it on and play it. and I love it even more when I am playing it.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
The new Crybaby Custom Audio Electronics one with the built in boost :thumb:

wreckingball

Reaction score
morley_man_vintage-59279583.jpg

Yea, I wish! Lemme splain...

I have loved the sound of wah-wah's since the first days of me listening to R&R.

But not just any wah, I have come to understand that the original Tel-Ray Morley wah is the one on so many of the recordings I loved, (and still love).

The original 'chrome tank' had a frequency sweep of 25-4000Hz, and was designed for use with numerous instruments (not just guitar).

To cut to the chase, does anyone know if there is a wah that can be purchased new, that has a frequency sweep that goes as low as the original Morleys? Any help would be appreciated...:fingersx:

If not, don't let my post derail this thread, I'll be over in the corner, kicking the cat...:D

yladrd61

Reaction score
My Vox 847 that I modded back to the late 60's circuit, it totally slays both my Thomas Int'l Original Crybaby, and my Thomas Organ Vox V846 !!! :dude:

My Area 51 Wah is a close 2nd place runner up ;)

Latest posts