Feds told Gibson to leave U.S.

• Thread starter kramer.geetar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuN'R

Reaction score
I got this a few months ago. Its a 1996 Standard plain top. $1400 from GC.

longfxukxnhair-albums-guitars-picture4733-standard.jpg

I love plaintops. And used Gibson LP's are the best anyway, they're best enjoyed with a bit of "road rash" anyway. Shit, I'm murdering this thread, sorry.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
I love plaintops. And used Gibson LP's are the best anyway, they're best enjoyed with a bit of "road rash" anyway. Shit, I'm murdering this thread, sorry.

They wanted $1800 for it. I paid $1400 shipped. Once they pulled my name up in their system they were more than happy to cut the price for a customer with a great (cash) long term standing. FUCKING BASTARDS:lol::lol:

Its all good GuN'R. Keep posting away.

GuN'R

Reaction score
They wanted $1800 for it. I paid $1400 shipped. Once they pulled my name up in their system they were more than happy to cut the price for a customer with a great (cash) long term standing. FUCKING BASTARDS:lol::lol:

Well, at least you got a hard case, lol. :dude:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks CRS

Once upon a time I loved the flamed tops. Not so much now. This is my first plain top and I love the looks of it. Im with you on plain tops. Im thinking of swapping out pickups on it. But Im such a purest.

Yeah, flamed vs plain top is a tough choice ... that's why I'm so happy that the top half of mine is flamed, and the bottom half is plain :cool2:

To give you a little background on the guitar, it's an Eric Clapton signature "Beano". I bring this up because you mentioned pickups, and this guitar introduced me to Alnico III pups ... I had never tried them before, but they're absolutely fucking dynamite ... definitely worth checking into Alnico III if you're looking for a pup change. I think the pups on this guitar (they're called CustomBucker) are unique to this guitar (not the exact same as the Page pups, but similar in that they're Alnico III), but I'm sure there are other manufacturers putting them out there who probably have something very similar.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Oh sweet! Allow me to tell..

I acquired a 1978 Greco EG700. OK maybe 1978 isn't "vintage" to everyone, but it is slightly older than me, so that makes it vintage to me. Anywho, it has a two piece maple cap (no vaneer), fret edge binding, Maxon pickups that sound wonderful through any of my gear. She's built like a Norlin, so she's heavy but LP's aren't for limp built fuckers anyway. This guitar is truly a part of me when I pick it up. I felt bad selling my Gibby, but it really wasn't that great of a guitar and I feel I did right by getting this old Greco and I am very happy with it. Good tone and a guitar that suits you from an LP does not mean a $3K plus investment. Here's what it looks like:

6010061243_042deeb7c3.jpg

6010064985_319ea2b4c2.jpg

I don't exactly harbor any negative feelings towards Gibson, I realize their target market is not in budding musicians or potential bar rockers like me, but I don't think people should feel like they need to pay their prices to get an awesome LP.

Sorry I've derailed the thread for a minute, but I fucken love both of my LP's.

Looks great, man! Love the color and uncovered pups.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Yeah, flamed vs plain top is a tough choice ... that's why I'm so happy that the top half is flamed, and the bottom half is plain :cool2:

To give you a little background on the guitar, it's an Eric Clapton signature "Beano". I bring this up because you mentioned pickups, and this guitar introduced me to Alnico III pups ... I had never tried them before, but they're absolutely fucking dynamite ... definitely worth checking into Alnico III if you're looking for a pup change. I think the pups on this guitar (they're called CustomBucker) are unique to this guitar (not the exact same as the Page pups, but similar in that they're Alnico III), but I'm sure there are other manufacturers putting them out there who probably have something very similar.

Isnt that a low out put p'up?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Isnt that a low out put p'up?

No, I don't find them low output at all ... the neck REALLY sings, and the bridge has a lot more output than that BB's that I've had before (those were alnico II). They're not what I'd call super high output pups, but I've never found myself wanting "more" if that makes sense. I really like them.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
No, I don't find them low output at all ... the neck REALLY sings, and the bridge has a lot more output than that BB's that I've had before (those were alnico II). They're not what I'd call super high output pups, but I've never found myself wanting "more" if that makes sense. I really like them.

I think I will look into them. Thanks

GuN'R

Reaction score
Looks great, man! Love the color and uncovered pups.

Thanks man, I got the guitar this way, and I plan on it staying this way. I like the minimalist look when it comes to LP's.

Hah, this turned into an LP love thread!v:hippie:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I got the guitar this way, and I plan on it staying this way. I like the minimalist look when it comes to LP's.

Hah, this turned into an LP love thread!v:hippie:

Well, I for one don't think you were murdering this thread.

The only LP's I'm not so keen on are the Supreme/Ultima versions ... certainly works of art, but not really my style.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
By the way, I emailed Gibson and told them I support them in this "event".

Username2

Reaction score
Oh boy Gibson showtime. I suppose they are going to come for my guitars now but they will have to get past some other things that make noise first.

Gibson Les Paul Silverburst

lp1.jpg

Gibson Summer Jam one of 50
lp2.jpg

Gibson ES-359
lp3.jpg

Gibson Historic R8
lp4.jpg

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Oh boy Gibson showtime. I suppose they are going to come for my guitars now but they will have to get past some other things that make noise first.

lp1.jpg

lp2.jpg

Gibson ES-359
lp3.jpg

Gibson Historic R8
lp4.jpg

Im not a fan of the silverburst. Most have to much black. Yours has just enough black to accent the silver and not eat it up. NICE!

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
http://www.marshallforum.com/members/diesect20022000-albums-me-picture3402-erline-new-pups.jpg

you want to take my axe you better reimburse me and even then....aint happening.

I named this after my deceased grand mother who raised me: Erline.

06 special with custom made homewrecker in the bridge and duncan 59 in the neck.

this is my session guitar as it does everything well and it's the one i set up for standard a440.

well balanced, no top heaviness and very resonant as well as low shreadable action.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

lp1.jpg

lp2.jpg

Gibson ES-359
lp3.jpg

Gibson Historic R8
lp4.jpg

My favorite is the R8 ... that's a really nice looking guitar, Nuke.

I second what LFH said about your Silverburst. I like that yours is mostly silver.

GuN'R

Reaction score

Hope they're in the 7.62 catagory, 5.56 is just too weak.

brp

Reaction score
Is it wrong that I want a Swamp Ash Studio?
Maybe I should ask the Feds if it makes me a bad person...

Also, that Silverburst is drop dead gorge.
And so is that Greco though.

AJDrac

Reaction score
Is it wrong that I want a Swamp Ash Studio?
Maybe I should ask the Feds if it makes me a bad person...

You are a terrible person for wanting a wooden instrument! Save the trees, use plastic (never mind polymer production being more harmful anyway)!

What's next, is our government going to tell us what light bulbs we are allowed to use?

Europe’s Ban on Old-Style Bulbs Begins - NYTimes.com

All beautiful guitars, stop setting off my GAS!

In any case, it will be interesting to see where this goes. Most likely, the obvious will be true - the government is completely out of line here and some treehuggers in the EPA got high on perceived new power with the Lacey changes. Or, perhaps, Gibson was illegally sourcing some portion of their stock. To be fair, they would never admit that to the public while they have us on their side. Still, though, I doubt they were actually doing anything wrong beyond using, with specific allowance, a "gray area" in Indian law (that we are bothering to enforce in the US?!).

I'm with Nuke on one point though - I have some other ways to make loud noises and will apply them as necessary to keep my other loud noise making devices intact and in my possession (this applies to you, potential thieves, as well!).

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
For the real deal, Gibson charge WAY too much. Their customshop build quality should be that of a standard.

Im not sure how much it actually costs to build a USA Gibson, but if your paying near 3 grand for a Gibson Standard, it should be good quality..

I agree with u that the quality of a standard should be that of a Custom. A Custom should have better components (pickup's, tuners etc.) and a finer attention to detail (cosmetic wise) but the build quality shouldnt be any different..

I have only payed a couple of Gibson's and have not seen any quality control issues, but i have heard many guitarists (that know more than I do) complain about the quality issues and it's disgusting TBO. IMO

Im sorry this is a little off topic guys but i just wanted to agree on the point that was made..

Latest posts